Matt's (goglio704) 82 sedan

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

goglio704 wrote:Yeah, I noticed my link crapped. How have you been doing it?

Code: Select all

http://www.nismoparts.com/cart/?pn=49110-W1705
That is, put the part number in the URL directly like that. I don't know about doing multiple part Nos. on the URL, I haven't devoted any time to trying to figure out what they're doing for multiple part No. parsing.
FAST is kinda sad, but as you said before, it is better than nothing.
Last edited by asavage 17 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

goglio704 wrote:I don't guess it would be smart to fire the engine without the crank vbelt pulleys? Is that assembly also a balancer?
I probably wouldn't do it until I had it reassembled. I don't like to run an engine without an active water pump.

sa
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

Steve, I edited my post after you replied, so the conversation may look a little disjointed. I don't like to run without a water pump either, but I will fire an engine for 15 or 20 seconds without one.
Last edited by goglio704 17 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

I got the front end reassembled, warmed it up to temp, and moved the car under its own power - about 20 feet. Noticed the lack of power steering. Dry resevoir. Filled with fluid. High pressure PS hose leaks - badly. I removed the extra wire that had been installed from the battery to the alternator, and the battery light went out. The alternator is putting out, if anything, the voltage looks high 14 to 15+ volt.
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

asavage wrote:When my pressure hose developed a bad leak, I thought I'd be able to buy the hose, but it's NLA from Nissan, and none of my aftermarket sources could supply one. Then I thought I'd be able to have one custom made, but nobody in my area could supply a hose fitting that would fit the pressure fitting on the Atsugi. Knowing what I know now, I'd probably contact an outfit such as Hose-Man in Calif., but I solved my problem by removing the OEM female-to-pump fitting from the old hose (using a Dremel and small cut-off wheel), then I had it welded to an SAE female fitting, making a back-to-back hose adapter. Then I had a section of flexible hose made up with a male SAE fitting to fit the adapter, and a high-pressure compression fitting to slip over the steel line section of the hose assy. It's been working well for over a year, and looks pretty professional. Cost was under $75 total.
Al,

Do you remember any of the particulars about the rubber hose. Diameter, pressure rating, etc.?
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

goglio704 wrote:Do you remember any of the particulars about the rubber hose. Diameter, pressure rating, etc.?
No. I made the adapter fitting, then handed the fitting and the old hose (without the metal tubing portion, which I'd already Dremeled off) to the hose guy, and he cut a length of appropriate hydraulic hose, swedged on the SAE fitting, and swedged on a compression fitting for the end to mate to the OEM steel tubing. Worked a charm. I was very sceptical that a compression fitting was going to work at 1100 PSI, but it hasn't leaked or seeped at all.

I just went out and took two pics. This is a pretty good pic of the Atsugi<->SAE fitting I had welded together. The rusty part is the weld. That's almost three years ago. The Atsugi fitting is on the right, the SAE on the left:

Can't get a decent pic of the heavy-duty compression fitting from above, but it's heavy and is meant for hydraulic duty, and has seemed to work well:

The hose portion is about 30" +- 4".

Image Image

I imagine that one of the hose fabricator folks like what Philip used for his SS braided vacuum pump oil feed line would be able to do this kind of thing without the hassle I went through.

And, it's possible that you can still get it from Nissan.
Last edited by asavage 16 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

asavage wrote: I was very sceptical that a compression fitting was going to work at 1100 PSI, but it hasn't leaked or seeped at all.
I wasn't expecting a number as high as 1100 PSI. The hose is double braid, but not a metalic braid. A local hydraulic shop said it was 10mm hose. They couldn't provide such an item and claimed 3/8" wouldn't work unless adapters were brazed to the ends I already have. Sounds similar to your repair, but they thought it would be necessary on both ends. I think 3/8" might work myself. I have been unable to identify the type of coupling, so I can't even ask about it intelligently yet. Who knows, it could be an Atsugi only thread for all I know. In your case, if the crimp sleeve worked on the steel tube that goes to the rack, I wonder if it would have also worked on the fitting at the pump? I have cut the outer crimped shell off my fitting and am surprised that the tube is so featureless. There doesn't seem to be much for the ID of the hose to get a grip on.

later...

It just hit me what you meant by compression fitting. A ferrel (spelling?) and nut kind of arrangement?

Also, the fitting meausures .390" or 9.89 mm. Sounds more like a 3/8" hose to me. That sorta makes sense because I have tentatively identified the fitting as being a 3/8 JIS type (Japenese Industrial Standard). If I'm right about the JIS part, it means that the threads are BSP (British Standard Pipe) and the fitting is 30 degree instead of the 37 degree common here. I need a set of BSP thread pitch gauges. If I can correctly identify this fitting, it may be possible to change this from a custom fab affair to more of a semi-custom, orderable kind of thing.
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Yes, the end that connects to the steel tubing vertically down near the rack is a compression fitting with a steel ferrule. I did tighten the bejezuzz out of it, and emory cloth surface prep.

While the pump end might be JIS, I kind of doubt it. In any event, three of three local hose fabbers could not do anything with it, but I am in a rather rural area. Like I said, I'm thinking a real hose shop that does only this kind of thing as a main line might be able to do better.

Meanwhile, one SAE fitting, one weld, and one standard hose that I can replace again later if needed, got me back and running in one day, out here in paradise. It wouldn't pass a concours judge, but it works and is a professional repair so [shrug].

1982 FSM (pg ST-32) says 995 PSI for all three pumps.
Regards,
Al S.

goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

Al, there is nothing wrong with your repair. I'm just trying to run this down. Sooner or later I'll have to do three of these. The rewards of not being custom start to add up at some point. If the fitting can be found, it should be possible to get a hose fabbed up with the correct fitting for the Atsugi on one end and your compression fitting on the other. Every diesel Maxima owner (all ten of us) will want one. :wink:
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

I'm trying to think my recent timing experience through. Please feel free to correct me or comment on these.

The crank makes four revolutions to the one revolution of the IP.

One full turn at the crank is 90 degrees at the IP.

By having the IP 90 degrees advanced, I was injecting fuel at the beginning of the compression stroke.

The noise was from the ignition event being premature.

This prematurity would produce high pressures and temperatures.

P.S. Where the heck is the degrees key anyway?
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

goglio704 wrote:The crank makes four revolutions to the one revolution of the IP.
I'm fairly certain that the IP is geared 2:1, just like the camshaft.
The noise was from the ignition event being premature.

This prematurity would produce high pressures and temperatures.
Yup. Sounds nasty, don't it?
P.S. Where the heck is the degrees key anyway?
???

On the PS hose: sometimes miscommunication happens. I'm not implying the the way I repaired my '82 Wagon is the best way, only that it works. I think you might have a rough time finding the fitting that will mate the diesel Atsugi to off-the-shelf hose, but I don't discourage you from looking. My solution cost me something like $50, which was reasonable to me.
Regards,
Al S.

goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

Ditto on the miscommunication. I just didn't want you to think I was critical of your repair. At work there are two guys who could tig something similar up for me, and that may well be what I do. Knowing that I have three of these to do and that others here might need an off the shelf solution, I want to give finding the fitting a shot.

I still think the IP is 4 to 1 because there is only one injection event in 4 crank revolutions. The cam gets away with 2 to 1 because there are two lobes per cylinder.

The cryptic question I posed earlier was how do you type the cute little symbol for degrees. The one that looks like a floating, lowercase o? I'm sure it is some combination of three keys. I tried some alt shift stuff and inadvertently wrote some BB code. :lol:
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

goglio704 wrote:. . . there is only one injection event in 4 crank revolutions.
Think that through, and you'll come up with a different number. It's easy to get stuck in a rut with these things.
The cryptic question I posed earlier was how do you type the cute little symbol for degrees. The one that looks like a floating, lowercase o? I'm sure it is some combination of three keys. I tried some alt shift stuff and inadvertently wrote some BB code. :lol:
Answered in this post.
Regards,
Al S.

goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

I should have said one injection event for that cylinder or any one cylinder in 4 crank revolutions. I'll think about it some more, but I can't seem to get past this:
Every time the pump passes point x, it must squirt fuel from the line that corresponds to x. If that happens twice in four crank revolutions...

It does take four crank revolutions to complete a cycle for a cylinder doesn't it?

Thanks for the tip on the degrees symbol. I'll try it out.
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

goglio704 wrote:It does take four crank revolutions to complete a cycle for a cylinder doesn't it?
No.

http://www.howcarswork.co.uk/modules/ar ... e.php?id=5

Gasser animation:

Better, diesel animation (Macromedia ShockWave Flash required):
http://www.howstuffworks.com/diesel1.htm
Regards,
Al S.