Retired Pauly's 1987 D21-J SD25 KC

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Just FYI and anyone else that may get one of these heaters the part number for the copper gasket from Yanmar is

129100-77510

I think they are around $2.00 ea.

Two required to complete the ground by bolting the heater down.

Eliminates the paper gaskets.

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
pbknowles

Post by pbknowles »

Hi all, been gone a while, real busy. I thought I would report back on the performance of the little intake heater. This makes a tremendous improvement in cold start, idle and ability to drive straight away. Today it did not get above 8 deg. f. all day. I was at work 11 hours, so the truck got a good cold soak. With the heater, it starts right up clean, and by the time I scrape the windows it is ready to drive away. Without the heater I could have gotten it started, but it wouldn't have been very happy about it, lots of smoke and what seems like an eternity (when you are waiting in a cold cab) before you could drive away. I give the heater and the GP's about 30 seconds (GPC died a while back) and crank it up. Heater and GP's are on timers and stay on for ~90 seconds total. This was a very worthwhile addition and I thank Paul for turning me on to it.
SD22 powered '85 Chevy S-10
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

They do work well don’t they :P Did you hook it to a timer or do you pre heat it with a push button or let it cycle with the gp's :?: As mentioned I pre-heat mine for about 20 Seconds and then let the GP's cycle once, then off with the key for 3 - 4 seconds keeping the air heater on and then once the dash light goes out for the second cycle of the GP's I hit the starter. Jumps to start right away. It stays on with the After Glow feature and while the GP's are at half power the heater is full power and it smoothes out right away. Did it here after -20 C (-4 F) for an 8 hr cold soak and it went second try and stayed lit. :P
Paul
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Image Image

Did you lose the function of the dashpot?

It's not clear to me, from those pics, what you did for size adaption. Can you expand on this?
pbknowles

Post by pbknowles »

I'll be happy to post some better pics, and a 'splanation, but I need a few days, swamped right now.
SD22 powered '85 Chevy S-10
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Thanks, and no rush. Put it on your To-Do list for whenever.
plenzen

Re: Retired Pauly's 1987 D21-J SD25 KC

Post by plenzen »

Was in Pick and Pull the other day looking for parts for son in laws Town and Country Chrysler mini van when I stumbled across a 1987 D21 King Cab Nissan. It was a gasser but had the blue interior the same as mine. I started harvesting interior parts from it and it was like being in Costco. Everywhere I looked I wanted this and that and that and this and on and on it went.
I took the two king cab windows first off. The ones that are bent at the top. Then a passenger side seat belt re-tractor as the one I have has very little spring tension left in it. Both side view mirrors, the rubber weather stripping from the passenger door as it looked nearly new. Some interior trim pieces that have faded in mine that were pristine in this one. The interior door handles were mint ! I took the wiper motor as well as every clip and push-in holdy in place thingies for door panels, interior panels etc.
In all I came away with the whole bunch for 150.00.
The sad part is that there were some really nice chrome wheels in the box. There were 3 only. DARN !

I did not find the parts that I went looking for the van either.
Oh well.
It was not a wasted trip. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
waynosworld

Re: Retired Pauly's 1987 D21-J SD25 KC

Post by waynosworld »

Life is good :D

plenzen wrote:Was in Pick and Pull the other day looking for parts for son in laws Town and Country Chrysler mini van when I stumbled across a 1987 D21 King Cab Nissan. It was a gasser but had the blue interior the same as mine. I started harvesting interior parts from it and it was like being in Costco. Everywhere I looked I wanted this and that and that and this and on and on it went.
I took the two king cab windows first off. The ones that are bent at the top. Then a passenger side seat belt re-tractor as the one I have has very little spring tension left in it. Both side view mirrors, the rubber weather stripping from the passenger door as it looked nearly new. Some interior trim pieces that have faded in mine that were pristine in this one. The interior door handles were mint ! I took the wiper motor as well as every clip and push-in holdy in place thingies for door panels, interior panels etc.
In all I came away with the whole bunch for 150.00.
The sad part is that there were some really nice chrome wheels in the box. There were 3 only. DARN !

I did not find the parts that I went looking for the van either.
Oh well.
It was not a wasted trip. :wink: :wink: :wink:
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.