Retired Pauly's 1987 D21-J SD25 KC

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

redmondjp wrote:. . . my grandfather's 1970s Allis-Chalmers diesel tractor had an air intake heater as well (this tractor was made somewhere in Eastern Europe, in the late 70s).
I doubt that it was a plate/strip element heater. I've never seen any but a coil style in old equipment.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Just got called with the price of the heaters and they are $135.14 ea. Can$. This is from Land Sea Power and they are the main distributors of Yanmar for Western Can I think. Not sure of who it is in the US but like I said before these guys ship all over the world.

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

I do not recall if the GP's on the SD22 stay on for a period of time after the engine starts or not. If they do not, then Cole Hersey makes a timer that I think will work to fire the heater for 2 mins (or longer if you desire, but 2 is the minimum) after the engine starts. The timer could be wired to get its "Start" or "Go" signal from the alt. when the engine starts. You could put in a push button by-pass like I have and pre-heat it for 15 secs or so, and then, turn on the key and have it fire again at the same time with the GP's. It will get nice and red by then but you may want to experiment with the pre-heat length (don’t want to burn it out). I pre-heat it for 20 secs. on a cold day, but the Quick Glow timer on the 25 is pretty short ( 15 secs I think). I don’t know how long the glow timer is for the 22. Once started, and the intake air is rushing past the elements the red glow is gone but it still stays pretty hot, and the timer will keep it hot for 2 mins and act like the after glow feature in the 25. Might help the little guy with a happier smoother QUIETER! idle on those fridgid cold California mornings? (kidding of course). The Cole Hersey Timer part number is 48810-01. Not sure of the price of that though. There are numerous time lengths that you can select on that timer as well. It says it will handle 20A so I think that the timer should fire a relay that will in turn fire the heater. ( I seem to remember that it was around 30A but cant remember, and there are no amperage numbers on it that I can see). If you were real creative you could put in a temp switch into the coolant someplace and have it disabled if it is warm enough. The 25 does that with a sensor in the intake manifold. Now that I think of it, if you were to plug in the block heater it might get warm enough to not work. Might have to get a higher temp sensor switch, or go into the intake manifold, or put in nothing at all and let it fire every time, just don’t pre-heat it in the warmer weather. The heaters are pretty durable.

Paul
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
pbknowles

Post by pbknowles »

Torreson Marine http://shop.torresen.com shows these heaters for $76.37 U.S. Haven't bought one yet but will shortly with cold weather approaching....
SD22 powered '85 Chevy S-10
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Just like eveything else here in the Great White North, things are grossly overpriced and we just pay it because we are SHEEP!! I will be going to NAPA in Montana to get a spare starter for my SD25. They at least list one, all they have to do is try and find one. It is more than 50% cheaper there, and the US$ and CA$ are even right now. :P :P Might even order another spare heater from this place that you list and will be still ahead of the game even with the shipping.

Paul
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
pbknowles

Post by pbknowles »

Hey Paul,
Can you throw a tape measure on the bolt pattern at the base of your throttle body? I just received my heater that I ordered using your part number and it is a little bigger bolt pattern. I can make it work but it is not a bolt on like yours was. Maybe the SD25 uses a bigger TB?
Thanks,
Phil
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

I removed the TB today and measured it. Bolt centers are 60 MM

Paul
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
pbknowles

Post by pbknowles »

Aha! The SD22 measures 46mm. With your background in the industrial engine biz, would you know of a heater that would fit, before I start adapting?
Thanks,
Phil
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Unfortunatly I do not know of any. The heater that you got is in fact made by the NGK Spark Plug Company. I wonder if there is a link or a way to get a hold of them and ask if they manufacture one that has the 46mm bolt pattern, and the application that they make it for. :?: It may be a long shot though. What did you have in mind for a modifcation?
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
pbknowles

Post by pbknowles »

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Gack! Lousy hosting service. There's got to be a better one than that.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Hard to see but I assume that you are going to put a similar plate on the top of the heater so that you can bolt down the TB, and counter sink some screws to squeeze the two together for the heater??
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
pbknowles

Post by pbknowles »

Yes, exactly what I have done. First day to try today, and it wasn't cold (~65f) but I did notice that I can drive away much sooner with the heater on, almost immediately. Unfortunately it also generates an annoying whistle at small throttle openings...will investigate when time allows, perhaps a vacuum leak on a diesel!
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Just remembering this now, but Yanmar does make a copper gasket for that heater. They use a similar type of adapter that you have made for thier air cooled single cyl diesel that they use this heater on. They use the copper gasket to allow for a ground to the engine block once all bolted together. I did not use the copper gasket and elected to use a seperate ground wire, but I can find out the part number for you should you want it.
P
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
pbknowles

Post by pbknowles »

Thanks for the offer, but I used the separate ground wire too....