Mark Hartz's 1983 Maxima Sedan LD28 -- 'AutoWorks Sedan' .

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I took a pic of Mark's Sedan's intake plenum hose today. It's too dark to take a good pic of my '82, but when I do I'll put them one next to the other to illustrate the difference.

He says the '82 is too short. Holding the '82 hose above the '83's, it does look perhaps 3/4" too short where it needs to meet the air filter housing's EGR throttle.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

If it's less than an inch or so short, you might see if one of the soft rubber plumbing connectors with a hose clamp on each end will fit it and make it work. They come in diameters ranging from 1-1/2" up to at least 6" and special purpose rubber with diameters different at each end is easily available. They are ususally about failrly "square"; ie, a Fernco coupling for 4" pipe is about 4" long. The most common pipe sizes these fit are as follows:

1-1/2" DWV copper - 1-5/8" OD
1-1/2" steel pipe OR CI 1-3/4" to 1-13/16" OD
2" DWV copper 2-1/8" OD
2" steel pipe or CI 2-3/8" OD
3" DWV copper 3-3/16" OD
3" steel or CI 3-3/8" OD

That gives the idea. Other intermittant sizes are availabe but may have to order from the mftr. The rubber will stretch slightly to fit larger diameters and will seal around slightly smaller diameters. Some companies (Fernco) offer a "shear ring" which is a piece of SS sheet metal with another couple hose clamps with tightens around the middle soft rubber part and stiffens the coupling. These are rarely used, but might provide some needed stiffness or heat protection. A full service plumbing supplier would be needed to find some of the less common sizes or to get one with different sizes at each end.

These couplings are not specifically intended for petroleum products but for plain atmosphere should work fine.

Rufus
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

i find with japanese built cars that the spring is weak and the shock has a lot of gas pressure.the pressure drops quickly and the rear sags.

australian built cars have mostly a stronger sping-as many had hydrolic only shocks.replacing these with modern gas pressure shockes compensates for 20 yr springs.

910 rear camber is listed as 45 min to 1,45 minutes [i would think thats .5 deg to 1.5deg]
R30 R31 45 min to 2 deg
both are possitive.toe in is 2mm.

it was odd that all jap 910 front suspension are listed as 25 minutes possitive camber except the mid range model and taxi at 40 minutes.
and toe in.
australian 910-R30 are all listed at that silly neg camber and toe out.
ive never owned a 910 that wasnt 0 or possitive camber.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The best solution for the plenum hose is an exact replacement. I think one will turn up. Electrical tape will be the short-term fix, until one does.
M Hartz

Post by M Hartz »

Hello all, the autoworks sedan is coming along well I think?! It starts well cold or hot and gets fair mileage so far, ~33MPG. Have replaced IP belt and seal with LOTS of help/encouragement from AL who has taken pictures to chronicle the steps involved. :D Also changed IP tensioner which was made avaliable through AL, he is in the process of having these made and we used this car as a test subject to check fit and function. It dropped in just like it was supposed to and functions like new.

The only major problem encountered was the lower radiator hose. As I had new hoses I simply cut old lower hose when removing radiator only to later learn that the hose from schucks/NAPA (No. 7777) would not fit. Luckily, Al has a supply network and was able to order factory hose that fit. The rest of work was relatively straight forward fairly easy .

The car still smokes on heavy acceleration and if I can establish a baseline timing I will attempt to see if timing changes curb the black voluminous cloud, without loss of performance and or mileage. I will chronicle my results as they are compiled.

ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU TO AL FOR ALL THE HELP WITH MINIMAL LAUGHTER. Thanks, Mark.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I picked up a passenger-side outside rearview mirror assy. from the JY that was already disassembled -- in the past, these almost always break when I try to remove the mirror. You can see the problem: old, brittle plastic, two axles that snap into place, and one plastic balljoint. The ball separates easily, but the axle . . . well, I suppose now that I see how it's assembled, I'd try with a metal pick and attempt to spring one of the yellow ears back enough to release one end.

(click on most images for larger)
Image Image Image Image Image
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Al,

In the 2nd photo, is the larger dark (black) area the back of the glass mirror? Is the "yellow" (looks dirty beige/green on my screen) mounting plate set in some kind of cast dark plastic pocket that's in turn glued to the back of the glass? I'm having trouble transitioning from the front view of the mirror glass to the back view. If I have it right, the motor appears to be mounted off center and a little high (or low? which way is the mirror flipped?). What holds the motor into the hood?

I'm mildly interested because I find the OEM mirrors have a relatively flat curvature that leaves serious blind spots which the more convex side mirrors found on newer cars don't. In theory this could be changed by changing out the glass or changing out the complete mirror and mount assembly with something off a newer car; of course, be nice to find one that kinda matched the squarish style... A crap shoot either way to find something appropriate. It's all TBD at this point, but knowing what's in there really helps in changing the glass. Thanks for the pics.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

rlaggren wrote:In the 2nd photo, is the larger dark (black) area the back of the glass mirror?
Yes.
Is the "yellow" mounting plate set in some kind of cast dark plastic pocket that's in turn glued to the back of the glass?
Probably. I don't have those pieces anymore (Mark has them) and didn't look too hard when I had them; perhaps Mark will read this and pipe up.
What holds the motor into the hood?
There are bolts from the mirror outer housing and pedestal into the door. I don't have any pics, sorry. You can unbolt the assy (pedestal) from the door from inside the door. But you can't unbolt the outer housing from its pedestal without removing the glass -- this has been discussed here before.

I have a spare brown mirror in storage (pass or driver, I can't recall) from an '83 and can send it to you for a modest fee (I don't need it), should you want to experiment with one.
Regards,
Al S.

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Funny world:

This car looked pretty familiar when I first saw it -- today it was confirmed.

Nineteen months ago, I came out of the local hardware store and found this car sitting there (see this post for details). I thought it was the same one.

Today, I got a call from Suza Bedient, the former owner (I'd given her my card back then). She didn't know I'd bought it from AutoWorks, she thought I might be able to use a spare new oil filter she had for it, now that she didn't have the car anymore.

I explained that I'd bought & sold her car and that it was being driven daily. She came over to the shop and I gave her $10 for a 1983 oil filter.

She gave me some history on the car:

She was given the car by the original owners. It was purchased new in Mount Vernon, Wash. She rented some property from them. One or both of them passed on, and left her the car.

So, it appears to be a "local" car in more than one way.
asavage
Site Admin

Re: Mark Hartz's 1983 Maxima Sedan LD28 -- 'AutoWorks Sedan' .

Post by asavage »

This car is now for sale again.
Regards,
Al S.