sd22 into an 89' toyota 4x4?

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

skiffish

sd22 into an 89' toyota 4x4?

Post by skiffish »

Anyone attempt this conversion. Just curious.

I have a good sd22 motor and the 22re in my toyota needs major work. Big undertaking? : :?
________
Silver Surfer Vaporizer
Last edited by skiffish 13 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Hmmm. How to adapt the SD bellhousing bolt pattern to the Toy's trans?

Once that hurdle is cleared, the rest is merely plumbing.
bacho

Post by bacho »

It might be a little late, but this guy mated the w56 to the SD22. He is one of the best fabricators I have ever seen too.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.ph ... ;topicseen
1992 nissan pathfinder 4x4
1985 KC 720 4x4
1982 KC 720
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Welding the SD starter bellhousing cone to the Toy bellhousing is tough work. There is no provision to adjust the starter drive gear-to-ring gear clearance on either design, so positioning before welding is critical.

I read a few pages worth forward in that thread to see if he had problems with it later, but there are 113 pages in that thread, and when I hit the homophobic shit on page six I gave up . . . someone else will have to dig for the info.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
bacho

Post by bacho »

It worked fine for him, he took that thing all over the country. However he did swap a toyota diesel into it later for more power. As I understand he built, or someone else has built more than one of those bell housings allowing use of the SD22 on a toyota tranny.

There is some pretty good stuff in there too, such as running a super charger on the SD22 and lots of turbo stuff.
1992 nissan pathfinder 4x4
1985 KC 720 4x4
1982 KC 720
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

bacho wrote:It worked fine for him . . .
It didn't work fine by chance; he had to have done a good setup job, that's not easy. Not a procedure I'd recommend to someone who doesn't have excellent layout skills.

Even aligned, it would still have to be faced (and probably bored) after welding, for long-term bearing reliability.

OTOH, an adapter plate might be fairly straightforward, at least for me. Maybe.
zac1983

Question

Post by zac1983 »

im currently putting a sd22 in a 87 toyota pickup. i dropped the motor in before i checked the size/tread pattern of the motor to tranny bolts?