Sd22 Turbo Project

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

pbknowles

Sd22 Turbo Project

Post by pbknowles »

Pics of turbo manifold and turbo. Manifold is built from schedule 40 black pipe and elbows. Original application for turbo was a Pontiac Sunfire 1.9l. It has a water cooling jacket as well as oil. The turbine and compressor AR/s are just a smidge smaller that those used on the VW 1.9 from the factory. I think this will be OK, as the VW certainly revs higher than the SD.....
Also, I got the pics to work on my MZ governor thread in the SD2X engines section if there is any interest.

(click on any image for larger)
Image Image
SD22 powered '85 Chevy S-10
TheDieseliminator

Post by TheDieseliminator »

Very nice work and do you think you'd be interested in making a custom turbo manifold for a C223 Isuzu diesel engine? Thanks.

Sal
1982 Datsun Maxima diesel wagon w/ 228k miles
*occasional daily driver*

1982 Datsun Maxima diesel sedan w/ 252k miles
*now off the road as a parts car and sent to the yard :( *
Cmdr. Ron

Post by Cmdr. Ron »

GREETINGS!
:D
Man, that is one sweet install.
Nice, clean work.
I want to build a header that will stand the heat, but didn't think of using BIP. That should last!
BIP should be easy to bend & work, too.
Custom 1/2" flanges?
UPDATE?
How's the Turbo match SD22 RPM band?
Any details to share now that some time has past?
Looking back, is there anything you'd do differently?

Thanks,
'82 DATSUN 720 SD22, '77 Fiat 124 Spider, '81 Toyota HiLux, '64 Chevy Corvair Monza
The Blessing of Abraham is mine!
Zarghareth

Post by Zarghareth »

I made one of this style manifold for my SD22 turbo build and it works awesome! I used forged steam fitting bends. They are far tighter radius than could ever be achieved by bending straight pipe and being schedule 40 forged steel, much stronger too. I just bought 90 degree bends and cut them to the right angles with an angle grinder. Then I cut the flanges off the stock manifold and welded straight to them.