LD28 in to Land Rover 90 wit

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Major Eyeswater

LD28 in to Land Rover 90 wit

Post by Major Eyeswater »

New around these parts and playing with a LD28 going in a Land Rover 90. Thought I'd set up a thread, show some pics, raise some questions etc.

The wonder of 2X4
LD28 in a 1990 Land Rover 90
windsock

Re: LD28 in to Land Rover 90 wit

Post by windsock »

Great pictures of the truck, thanks.

The turbo appears to be of the usual L28 gasser origins. Do you run a boost gauge? if so, boost levels? Dump pipe configurations? How close does it pass the clutch slave cylinder?

Good to see a mid-rear sump. no worries clearing the diff.

A good solid adapter plate. Interesting to see the fine casting with even a manufacturers name cast in.

Check your flywheel for fine cracks or other issues. I had to get my one machined down to remove fine discolouration from a slipping clutch from when the motor was in the car. I don't think they took enough off as even now I occassionally feel a shudder.

I see why you are wanting to get rid of the fan... :shock:

I can see the same pattern of motor mount as my original one. I have since rebuilt to include the frame right up to the top on both sides of the plate on the block. I had to cut out a portion of the bracket to allow the fuel lines to pass but it is a lot stronger than what I had previously.

Very good to see this set of photographs.
Good roads lead to bad fishing.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

adaptor is interesting.
V8 to 4 cyl with a LD28 to V8 steel plate adaptor.

just bought a 93 disco as a tow vehicle,3.9.
was using 87 3.5 range rover I now use for parts.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
Major Eyeswater

Post by Major Eyeswater »

not running a boost gauge but might fit one on its reinstall. As for the clutch slave cylinder the down pipe clears it by about 4 inches, no props so far but might lag it on refit.

Had the injectors serviced, new parts turned up, stripped cam cover and sump, cleaned up and repainted sump. Oh and got the fan off, what an arse ache of a design for fit that is.

LD28 in a 1990 Land Rover 90
windsock

Post by windsock »

Major Eyeswater wrote:not running a boost gauge but might fit one on its reinstall. As for the clutch slave cylinder the down pipe clears it by about 4 inches, no props so far but might lag it on refit.

Had the injectors serviced, new parts turned up, stripped cam cover and sump, cleaned up and repainted sump. Oh and got the fan off, what an arse ache of a design for fit that is.
Sounds great, I hope you get this roaring again in no time. I recommend you run an EGT gauge as well to check and keep track of the exhaust gas temperature. Offroad I can quickly get the motor quite hot, also, on road hauling loads into wind and up a hill, a common occurance here in NZ.

Nice bit of radiator I/C bling, very nice. Are you going to put an electric fan over the I/C as well or only over the rad?

Laughed to see th latex fingertips covering the ends of the pipe, been there done that... :D

I see now why you have no worries with exhaust getting close to the clutch. Here is a photo of a manifold I missed out on off a 280ZX L28 gasser.

You can see a few differences between this one and your one, especially in location of turbo flange.

Another one I missed out on... these things pop up from time to time but you have to be quick or lucky and have money. this set up sold for $350 and I missed it.

Looking forward to hearing you get this back on road again.

All the best.

Phil
Good roads lead to bad fishing.
LewisT

Post by LewisT »

I love those old Land Rovers. It looks like yours is in great condition. Looking forward to seeing how the build goes and how it performs afterwards.
Lewis - Looking for wheelchair accessible vans capable of a LD28 conversion.