1982 Datsun 720 Truggy

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

nissanclay

1982 Datsun 720 Truggy

Post by nissanclay »

This was about a 17mo build. Bought the truck as a 2wd truck with 142K in awesome condition. Drove it home, and started cutting.

Here is a list of things done:
Dana 44 axles front and rear w/ 5.13 gearing and ARB lockers
Divorced dual toy top shift cases
Chevy 63" rear springs
Grand waggy front springs
Chevy power steering pump w/ scout II box
37" irocks on custom bead locks
Rear mounted yellow top
2" body lift and new tranny tunnel to help tuck up the tcases
Tube doors
Custom built rear cage
And a whole bunch of other little things

Here are a few pics
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

That a dog carrier on the back?
82 Maxima wagon
nissanclay

Post by nissanclay »

You know it!

She loves it! I take here out on the harder obstacles just in case.

rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Man, that a serious case of LOVE your dog got! <G>

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
windsock

Post by windsock »

Hey NissanClay,

It is a nice part of the world you live in. I was in Golden for a month working in with NREL out there a few years back (2002ish I think). Never got to do any motorised rockclimbing but got out on foot a bit. Startled a few rattlers and heard a few howls in the distance - something very foreign to a kiwi boy like me :D .

Awesome area for the flex you got going there. Very nice truck and damn good to see you keeping it going. All the best with the turbo search.

I'd love to return to the states one day and buy an old truck and see the place a bit more. I enjoy reading Pirate (found your thread) and seeing the countryside and some great trucks.

Cheers,

Phil
Good roads lead to bad fishing.
nissanclay

Post by nissanclay »

Oh yeah, I love CO. I live really close to Golden tube the creek that flows into the Coors Beer factory during the summers.

What area I did get a chance to visit NZ in 07. Was there for 2 weeks. Spent a few days in Auckland then flew to the south island and toured from christchurch to Queenstown. Beautiful country and hope to someday go back and see some other parts. I was drooling over all the diesels while over there. I have a Nissan Frontier (Navara overseas) that I would love to put a foreign diesel in.
nissanclay

Post by nissanclay »

Oh yeah, I love CO. I live really close to Golden tube the creek that flows into the Coors Beer factory during the summers.

What area I did get a chance to visit NZ in 07. Was there for 2 weeks. Spent a few days in Auckland then flew to the south island and toured from christchurch to Queenstown. Beautiful country and hope to someday go back and see some other parts. I was drooling over all the diesels while over there. I have a Nissan Frontier (Navara overseas) that I would love to put a foreign diesel in.
windsock

Post by windsock »

Hah!, the grass is always greener on the other side uhh?

We live at sea-level here in NZ and when I went to CO I was gobsmacked at the effect of the altitude. I had to climb three flights of stairs at NREL to get to my workstation (gasping) and I was only just acclimatising after three weeks but was gone home by the end of the fifth week. More time and I would have been out in the hills a lot more. Very different scenery. One thing that really took me by surprise was the pine forest. As you may know we have pines over here but they are plantation grown in right and true rows, row after row, acre after acre of rows... so i was really surpirsed to see pines growing randomly... :shock: :lol:

South Island is a fine place for outdoor stuff, very similar to CO in many ways.

Yep, diesel fuel here is a common enough thing. I much prefer the diesel engines to the gassers. Wet is the enemy of spark and we got plenty wet conditions here off road. Rock crawling is few and far between in the North Island. There is some rock down south a few guys crawl on.
Good roads lead to bad fishing.
nissanclay

Post by nissanclay »

Yeah the pine and the fact that you herd dear. We hunt them for sport here. I love going to sea level, I feel like I can run a 10 miles.
nissanclay

Post by nissanclay »

Yeah the pine and the fact that you herd dear. We hunt them for sport here. I love going to sea level, I feel like I can run a 10 miles.