My 1969 Datsun 521 kingcab

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

waynosworld

Re: My 1969 Datsun 521 kingcab

Post by waynosworld »

That is interesting, I guess I just assumed that the early 620 kingpin front end, solid column, frame/chassis was the same as the 521, but I guess it is not, it appears the 620 had a lot of changes over the years.
The rear gearing really depends on the engine, I have found the diesel engine needs the stock 3.90 gears to do hiway/freeway speeds, and you will not do well mileage wise if you want to go 70mph.
As I said, the engine is what really decides the rear gears, my lighter than a 720 Datsun 521 kingcab has an SD25 in it, I put 3.50 gears in it and it was a good choice for that engine, it would go down the hiway just fine, but any significant hill was an issue, I would end up dropping at least one gear most the time and end up at 45/50mph floored which in my head sucks.
The Datsun 720 dually with the SD25 turbodiesel has 3.30 gears, but that injection pump was professionally turned up, and the stock intake vane in the turbocharger was removed and a larger vane was installed, that engine has a shitload of torque, it can turn the 3.30 gears from a stop even pointed up hill with a load/towing another vehicle.
Now my 521 kingcab has a turbocharger also, but the injection pump is stock, and the turbocharger has not been modified, I really have no more power starting out, the turbocharger kicks in after I am moving, I would like to try 3.30 gears in it, but when I tried starting out in second gear with the 3.50 gears I decided that the gears I have are fine, if I run across a set of 3.30 gears I will buy them and try them out as I believe they will help me on the hiway/freeway, but starting out in first gear will be the deciding factor on if I will keep them in the 521 truck or go back to the 3.50 gears in there now, fact is I can go plenty fast, but 3.30 gears are rare and very hard to find so I will grab them if I have the chance.
I had 3.70 gears in my dually 720 when it had the SD25 with the inline injection pump and the rebuilt SD22 with the VE type injection pump, it struggled to do 70mph with both them engines although the SD25 had veggie oil put though it before I bought it, it didn't have any more power than the SD22, I was not happy with either of them engines in the 720 dually truck, but the SD25 turbodiesel moves it just fine.
I believe all the SD25 engine comes with turbo pistons, or should I say that Larryr's research into the subject lead me to believe that they all have turbo pistons, but the guy on here with the turbo/bomb thread made his using an SD22 and he said it ran fine, I only found that guy because he was selling his rebuilt turbocharged engine on the Portland OR craigslist, and after driving my 521 kingcab on that trip and finding out how cool it ran(no inter-cooler), I believe that heat isn't going to be an issue on most hiways/freeways except when going up mountain passes, that is why you will need a EGT gauge, you do not want to be heating up a SD22 to 1400 degrees, your going to have to research this subject and pick a number, and believe me when I say that a stock SD series diesel engine will get very hot when going up a hill, I seen 1400 degrees more than once since I installed an EGT gauge to see just how hot(EGTs) a stock engine gets.
I have read that at 1400 degrees it is not if it will melt down, but when will it melt down, this very subject is why it took me so long to get both my turbodiesels on the road, the 720 ran so hot that I didn't even drive it, if you read the whole 720 thread and look at the dates you will see it took me a very long time to get that truck sorted out, but I did it as a draw thru and blow thru, I like the blow thru a lot better, but I expect I could have made it work as a draw thru with the proper turbocharger that had the proper seals in it.

I sure hope you guys like reading, as I don't know what a short reply is. :lol:
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I am going to take my second trip with this truck tomorrow to Hoodriver OR and back to Vancouver WA, am hoping for and uneventful trip.
I am going to check my fuel mileage this trip also, city driving is around 25mpg, this trip I am going to try and keep it around 65mph instead of 75mph, I am hoping for around 35mpg or better.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Good luck on your trip
And
As per your previous post
I like reading about it.
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
handcannon

Post by handcannon »

waynosworld wrote:I am going to take my second trip with this truck tomorrow to Hoodriver OR and back to Vancouver WA, am hoping for and uneventful trip.
I am going to check my fuel mileage this trip also, city driving is around 25mpg, this trip I am going to try and keep it around 65mph instead of 75mph, I am hoping for around 35mpg or better.
I'm real interested in the outcome of this trip.

Don
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I made it back, barely, it started missing around 10 miles from home on the return trip, now I had just changed the pre-filter a while back on one of the first turbo test drives, so I started thinking it might be the main fuel filter this time as when I let off the pedal it could kinda catch up and run good if I was light on the pedal, well i did make it home but I did have to let it run just above idle in a parking lot a few minutes a couple miles from home.
Well I pulled in the driveway and before shutting it down I popped the hood looking for fuel leaks, I looked down at the pre-filter and the element inside was almost sucked flat, I shut it down and before I could get back to look at it again it had expanded half way back to normal size, a couple minutes later it was almost normal looking, that filter didn't last long, maybe 3 tanks of fuel.
My fuel gauge never came off the full mark on my 130 mile trip, but it is a little messed up, but I am used to empty being just an eighth inch under half a tank.
I was late so i drove pretty close to 70mph all the way there, and I drove likely 65mph average on the way back, it just doesn't care about hiway/freeway hills anymore, it goes right up them without slowing down, but I did notice that I am running a little warmer on the water temp gauge than I am used to, same on the trip up north, but the EGTs were below 800 degrees the whole trip today, I am starting to think I might need a larger radiator as it runs warmer at hiway/freeway speeds(65mph to 75mph) than it does at any other time(half way), I also noticed my anti-freeze is not the proper color anymore, it is rust color now, I am scratching my head on that one, it has not overheated as I am constantly watching all my gauges right now looking for any issues, the coolant level has not dropped either.
I am using them cheap see thru fuel filters as pre-filters, the stock 720 diesel engines in 1982 also used the semi-clear filters on the firewall in a clip, what should I really be using, I do like the clear ones as I know right away if my fuel issue is that, I would not have that info if I used a metal cased fuel filter, as I could not see the element inside.
The 720 has a huge delphi 296 fuel filter/assembly with a primer on it like the one on the injection pump, where would I find one of them?
Attachments
DSCN7080.JPG
DSCN7080.JPG (475.34 KiB) Viewed 4703 times
DSCN7079.JPG
DSCN7079.JPG (449 KiB) Viewed 4703 times
handcannon

Post by handcannon »

Good to hear that you got back without too much trouble.

Was the see through pre-filter you were using a gasser style filter with the pleated paper element? About 8 years ago I bought a 1983 Chev with the 6.2 NA motor, partially to see how well I would like a diesel powered vehicle. Somebody had put a gasser type fuel filter for a pre-filter on it. After a short time on the local freeway I realized that it no longer would keep up with traffic, and found that the filter was clogged. Some time later I found that diesel pre-filters were different than gasser filters, and that the WIX 33792 was recommended as a diesel filter for the Nissan 720 diesel pickups (screened surface inside instead of pleated paper). I like the see through filters for the same reason as you stated, and have no experience trying to find the Wix 33792. I'm assuming that you already knew this, but it was a part of my diesel learning curve.

I have no experience with the Delphi 296 fuel filter that you have, so I am of no help there.

I've also read that the older Datsun/Nissan fuel tanks had a galvanized interior, and that it doesn't work well with diesel fuel, galvanizing apparently flakes off after a bit of time. I have no experience with galvanized coatings, and was wondering what your experience was in that way. Did you use the stock tank with galvanized interior? I personally have trouble understanding galvanizing problems. But, somebody else's experience is what I am looking for, both for filter type and galvanizing/diesel compatibility.

It sounds like your trip to Hood River was close to what I usually experience, speed wise. So, I'm real curious what your mileage numbers will be with the added turbo. I'm assuming you drove the Oregon side, and am somewhat familiar with that stretch of the highway. What is the rear end gear ratio, and tire size, on that pickup? The 73 Datsun pickup I'm hoping to get on the road with the SD-22 motor and 5 speed transmission has stock gasser gearing and tires for that year model (4.375? and 185 or 195x14 tires). I'm real sure I will need to change the rear end gears, at minimum.

Hearing about your temperature concerns is some good information. It is an IDI diesel motor, and my experience with the 6.2 and 6.5 IDI diesel (I currently have a 94 Chev K2500 with a 6.2/6.5 hybrid diesel), and all I have read about them, is that they do keep more heat in the head than a DI diesel. I have the stock diesel radiator available, but because of the back of the headlights coming through the core support it looks to me like I would lose some of the already skimpy space between the fan and radiator. After doing a lot of searching it looks to me like the Volvo radiator and electric fan from the 80's (going from memory) needs some more looking into for possible use. Wider than the stock 73 Datsun gasser radiator, mounting system and tanks different, input and outlets in the same position as the diesel radiator, and comes with stock mounting for an electric fan. Also available with engine and transmission oil coolers in the tanks. Mounting is the same as what GM used on the 90's pickups, and might not be too hard to retro fit to the Datsun core support.

Don
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

Yes it is a gasser style filter with the paper element, I was thinking about that last night, the 1982 pre-filter is what I need to pipe into the system, it would be a lot easier to change also when put in the stock position, right now my pre-filter is down by the side if the injection pump and is real hard to get to.
I am using the stock 720 kingcab fuel tank, I do not recall if the inside is galvanized or not but it likely is.
I have P195/R14 inch tires on the truck and 3.50 gears in the rear, I would not recommend them gears for a naturally aspirated SD22 engine, a turbocharged one might move them gears, my 720 SD25 turbodiesel has 3.30 gears in the rear, but stuff has been changed on that engine injection pump and turbocharger, it has a shitload of torque.
I don't like how warm it is running coolant wise because on a very warm day it will likely run even warmer, I have lots of SD series radiators, I just need to do some measuring and see if I can install a larger volume radiator in the 521, it's been fine around town no matter how hot it has been over the last 7 years without a turbo, and it's been fine around town with the turbo, but the temp creeps up and stays there on the hiway/freeway at the steady speeds/rpms I am driving, I drive way faster than an SD22 equipped 720 will go as I had one for years, they like 55/60mph but I don't, I like 75mph(2800rpms).
handcannon wrote:Good to hear that you got back without too much trouble.

Was the see through pre-filter you were using a gasser style filter with the pleated paper element? About 8 years ago I bought a 1983 Chev with the 6.2 NA motor, partially to see how well I would like a diesel powered vehicle. Somebody had put a gasser type fuel filter for a pre-filter on it. After a short time on the local freeway I realized that it no longer would keep up with traffic, and found that the filter was clogged. Some time later I found that diesel pre-filters were different than gasser filters, and that the WIX 33792 was recommended as a diesel filter for the Nissan 720 diesel pickups (screened surface inside instead of pleated paper). I like the see through filters for the same reason as you stated, and have no experience trying to find the Wix 33792. I'm assuming that you already knew this, but it was a part of my diesel learning curve.

I have no experience with the Delphi 296 fuel filter that you have, so I am of no help there.

I've also read that the older Datsun/Nissan fuel tanks had a galvanized interior, and that it doesn't work well with diesel fuel, galvanizing apparently flakes off after a bit of time. I have no experience with galvanized coatings, and was wondering what your experience was in that way. Did you use the stock tank with galvanized interior? I personally have trouble understanding galvanizing problems. But, somebody else's experience is what I am looking for, both for filter type and galvanizing/diesel compatibility.

It sounds like your trip to Hood River was close to what I usually experience, speed wise. So, I'm real curious what your mileage numbers will be with the added turbo. I'm assuming you drove the Oregon side, and am somewhat familiar with that stretch of the highway. What is the rear end gear ratio, and tire size, on that pickup? The 73 Datsun pickup I'm hoping to get on the road with the SD-22 motor and 5 speed transmission has stock gasser gearing and tires for that year model (4.375? and 185 or 195x14 tires). I'm real sure I will need to change the rear end gears, at minimum.

Hearing about your temperature concerns is some good information. It is an IDI diesel motor, and my experience with the 6.2 and 6.5 IDI diesel (I currently have a 94 Chev K2500 with a 6.2/6.5 hybrid diesel), and all I have read about them, is that they do keep more heat in the head than a DI diesel. I have the stock diesel radiator available, but because of the back of the headlights coming through the core support it looks to me like I would lose some of the already skimpy space between the fan and radiator. After doing a lot of searching it looks to me like the Volvo radiator and electric fan from the 80's (going from memory) needs some more looking into for possible use. Wider than the stock 73 Datsun gasser radiator, mounting system and tanks different, input and outlets in the same position as the diesel radiator, and comes with stock mounting for an electric fan. Also available with engine and transmission oil coolers in the tanks. Mounting is the same as what GM used on the 90's pickups, and might not be too hard to retro fit to the Datsun core support.

Don
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

WIX 33792 is not a pre-filter, it is actually a cartridge fuel filter, I am looking for a pre-filter like the one in the photo below, does anyone have a part number for this pre-filter as I was at the auto parts store today and they are clueless and I brought that filter in the photo with me.
Attachments
DSCN7083.JPG
DSCN7083.JPG (458.19 KiB) Viewed 4694 times
DSCN7082.JPG
DSCN7082.JPG (462.37 KiB) Viewed 4694 times
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I found my own answer, I need WIX 33214 fuel filter(pre-filter), it was just about the first filter I found on ebay for a 1982 Datsun 720 truck, I should have searched ebay before going to the parts store, so now I will take what they sold me back and I likely will find what I wanted on there store shelves in the filter section.
handcannon

Post by handcannon »

That filter and mount that you show in the pic looks the same as what was in the 1973 pickup. I looked for a while to find out what kind of filtration media it has, and finally found the information on a Wix website. Wix lists the 33214 as having a cellulose filtration media. It will be interesting to see how that works out for you. I did find a crossover chart that lists NAPA 3214 and Hastings GF157, and many others, that are supposedly the same as the Wix 33214. It sure would be great to have a filter that will fit the stock 1973 filter clamp/location.

I looked up the Wix 33792 filter, and it is not what I thought it would be, definitely a drop in cartridge filter. I did some more looking and the Wix 33972 is what I should have listed. I transposed the 9 and 7, so definitely my bad.

Don
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

It's just a pre-filter to filter the fuel before it goes thru the fuel pump, my 1982 Datsun 720 diesel had it and it looked stock, I also seen the same filter on other 720 diesel trucks, I pulled this filter/hoses from yet another diesel frame I have in the back yard.
The main fuel filter is just after the fuel pump, it then goes from the main fuel filter(photo below) to the injection pump.
I will try this filter and see if it makes it longer than 3 tanks, by the way the auto parts store didn't have the Wix brand, I ended up with a Parts Master #73214 which replaces GF305, it appears there are lot of these filters out there sold under many different brand names, so I just do not understand why the auto parts store could not find it, when I gave the guy the Wix number the other guy said they didn't have that one and rattled off this Parts Master brand number without looking at a thing, but yesterday they could not find this filter for me with a used one right in front of them.
DSCN7085.JPG
DSCN7085.JPG (462.77 KiB) Viewed 4689 times
handcannon wrote:That filter and mount that you show in the pic looks the same as what was in the 1973 pickup. I looked for a while to find out what kind of filtration media it has, and finally found the information on a Wix website. Wix lists the 33214 as having a cellulose filtration media. It will be interesting to see how that works out for you. I did find a crossover chart that lists NAPA 3214 and Hastings GF157, and many others, that are supposedly the same as the Wix 33214. It sure would be great to have a filter that will fit the stock 1973 filter clamp/location.

I looked up the Wix 33792 filter, and it is not what I thought it would be, definitely a drop in cartridge filter. I did some more looking and the Wix 33972 is what I should have listed. I transposed the 9 and 7, so definitely my bad.

Don
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I looked at the engine compartment this evening and came to the conclusion that there is no room for the fuel filter clip on the firewall, I really do want to put it in approximately the same location it is in the 720s, but it appears I am going to have to move something, you can see in the attached photo the only space on the firewall has the clutch thing with the bleed screw on it and the brake switch/junction and lines.
DSCN6962.JPG
DSCN6962.JPG (478.49 KiB) Viewed 4681 times
This coming weekend is the Canby meet(Datsun Meet), I plan on driving this truck either Saturday or Sunday, another short trip so I am undecided on if I want to check my mileage for the Hoodriver OR trip alone, or take this short trip on the same tank of fuel as I will likely be under 60mph on this drive.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Just caught up to this and I have a couple thoughts.
That picture you posted of the blue Nissan assembly is not a filter but a water separator. I have a brand new on in the box. It's made to allow water to collect in it and there is a float inside that will rise with the water level and turn a light on in the dashboard. That's what the wire is at the bottom.
I utilize a Wix 33006 inline fuel "pre filter" that is for a Mercedes diesel. I believe that Al found this part or posted the number for it or some time ago.
The way I have it plumbed is.
From tank through a "coarse screen" fuel filter on the fire wall. ( Yanmar industrial diesel part ) The brass screen in it is quite coarse and will filter out sticks and branches and bird beaks etc. It has a clear plastic bowl on it with a red flotation type ring inside which allows for quick view of any water that may occurring. It's far more convenient than the one you've shown and will allow you to see the water without have to either open the drain at the bottom or remove it all together.
Out of that Yanmar part and into the wix 33006 filter. It has a 20 micron rating. It too is opaque and you can see whatever is collecting in the way of rust, dirt etc in the bottom of it. Out of the wix inline into the main filter assembly which includes the aforementioned, and pictured Nissan water separator and into the main filter that I am presently using a Baldwin BF954 fuel filter (10 micron. crosses to the Wix 33386) . Out of there and into the injection pump. The two "pre filter" locations I mention are ones that I added because the OE assembly is kind of a PITA to service. If I can pre-filter as much as I can before it goes into the main filter then that filter will last a whole lot longer. Theoretically 19-10 microns.
So far that "main filter" has been in place for 4 years now. I have changed the Wix inline twice in that time. The coarser screen Yanmar one on the firewall I have not had to deal with as it's easy to see there is nothing stuck in it and the bottom of the bowl has no water.
As for the fuel tank from a gasser and using diesel in it. I believe on here someplace that entire subject was covered by
( IIRC ) Phillip or perhaps it was Al or both.

EDIT:

I'm a dumb ass. That picture you showed of the Nissan filter is different than the one I have in the box. I just went and looked at it.
insert red face here . :oops: :oops: :oops:
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
handcannon

Post by handcannon »

Waynosworld, where is the meet in Canby? Is this just for members, or? If I can make it I would sure like to see your 521. I might be able to be there on Sunday, just maybe. I don't have anything listed on my calendar for that date. But I would need to check with my wife/daughter as I think I'm scheduled (Monday?) to help set up for their church rummage sale.

Don
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

handcannon wrote:Waynosworld, where is the meet in Canby? Is this just for members, or? If I can make it I would sure like to see your 521. I might be able to be there on Sunday, just maybe. I don't have anything listed on my calendar for that date. But I would need to check with my wife/daughter as I think I'm scheduled (Monday?) to help set up for their church rummage sale.

Don
It's at the Canby fairgrounds, it's open to the public.
Generally there is over a 100 different Datsun's parked in the corral by the end of the day, but my diesel is usually the only one there, let me know if your going for sure, I will then drive the 520 Saturday and the 521kc diesel Sunday.