1982 VW Rabbit Diesel Pick-Up

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

83_maxima

1982 VW Rabbit Diesel Pick-Up

Post by 83_maxima »

Yes, I know it's not a Nissan, but a new diesel project nonetheless.

Picked up two of these guys earlier this month and am making one driver out of two "parts trucks." Just got this blue one fired up today. Runs great. Need to get my new interior in and sort out the details to get this "baby diesel" registered. :D

Just thought I'd share my new project with some fellow Nissan Dieselheads...

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

That brings back memories! I've owned two VW Rabbit 2-dr diesels (1980, 1982), both were really nice rigs, both ended up with worn-out engines.

Watch out for oil in the air filter housing. If blowby gets bad enough, you get run-away: the engine will accelerate on blowby vapors and you can't shut it down. Yes, this has happened to me -- on the freeway!

The diesel VW Rabbit pickups are going for crazy money up here. That rig -- as-is and running -- would fetch $1500 or more right now in Seattle. Just nuts.

One thing for the early VW diesels: they do get really good fuel mileage. I averaged 43-45 MPG on both of mine. If a VW diesel of that era drops below 40 MPG, it's got something seriously wrong.

Those engines got three different head bolt diameter updates over the years. Head gasket failures were endemic. I mean 10k between head gaskets was not uncommon on the early ones.

Have you experienced the infamous exhaust manifold to headpipe clamps? If your headpipe doesn't bolt to the manifold but uses two Cee clamps of spring steel, you need a special spreader tool to install them (you can get them off with a prybar and swearing, but you cannot install them no matter what language you use). I had to buy the tool -- sold it in '99 on eBay for the same money I'd paid for it years before, about $50 IIRC.

Yes, those pictures do bring back memories . . .
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:SNIP
The diesel VW Rabbit pickups are going for crazy money up here. That rig -- as-is and running -- would fetch $1500 or more right now in Seattle. Just nuts.

One thing for the early VW diesels: they do get really good fuel mileage. I averaged 43-45 MPG on both of mine. If a VW diesel of that era drops below 40 MPG, it's got something seriously wrong. SNIP
Remember back a few years ago when VW introduced the Beetle (FWD). Shortly after, the air cooled Beetles (and to a lesser extent, the Micro Busses) market soared! This inflated market here in SoCal stayed that way for a couple of years.

So I'm inclined to expect a similar market reaction when Nissan decides to import their existing diesel pickups here.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

asavage wrote:That brings back memories! I've owned two VW Rabbit 2-dr diesels (1980, 1982), both were really nice rigs, both ended up with worn-out engines.

Watch out for oil in the air filter housing. If blowby gets bad enough, you get run-away: the engine will accelerate on blowby vapors and you can't shut it down. Yes, this has happened to me -- on the freeway!

One thing for the early VW diesels: they do get really good fuel mileage. I averaged 43-45 MPG on both of mine. If a VW diesel of that era drops below 40 MPG, it's got something seriously wrong.

Those engines got three different head bolt diameter updates over the years. Head gasket failures were endemic. I mean 10k between head gaskets was not uncommon on the early ones.

Have you experienced the infamous exhaust manifold to headpipe clamps? If your headpipe doesn't bolt to the manifold but uses two Cee clamps of spring steel, you need a special spreader tool to install them (you can get them off with a prybar and swearing, but you cannot install them no matter what language you use). I had to buy the tool -- sold it in '99 on eBay for the same money I'd paid for it years before, about $50 IIRC.

Yes, those pictures do bring back memories . . .
This one is an 82 and the other one (yellow, could you have guessed?) is an 80.

I have experienced the run-away. It was smoking a lot when I started it for the first time in 5+ years. I tried to rev it up (warm but still smoking) and it revved, then kept going....I though the pedal was stuck. It has stopped smoking and even though there is blowby, there's not much. Not as much as I thought there was in the beginning - it was smoking up a storm!

I have already experienced the exhaust clamps too. Came off by hand, would go back on by hand but were too loose to do any good. Very simple solution with no special tool: $2 muffler clamp [poor Al...$50 bucks? - thats wrong]. Reverse it, spread the C-clamp. Spread it again to get it on and then loosen the clamp while in place. Took less than 30 mins for both sides (install).

I've done quite a bit of engine compartment work and now I am going inside...the cabin...
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

Nice finds. Wish I could find one around here. I have found a pair but the owner refuses to sell them because he never obtained clear title. Only one is completely intact, the other received a blow to the cab top by a rather large branch, which did some damage. Neither has an operable engine and both have been somewhat scavanged by the owner. I've tried twice to acquire the pair to try and make one good one but he refuses to sell. I'll probably try again later this summer but I'm not confident that I'll get anywhere.

Once my 1.6 TD engine is finished and installed in the 86 Golf, the 1.6 D engine will need a home, and that's what I would use to power the cabby.

steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

I *finally* acquired ALL of the paperwork today to secure a clear Colorado title for this truck. 2 months, nearly $200 and many hours later I now have a bonded title. What a pain in the @$$.

On the positive side, it has been legal with temporaries for almost 2 weeks and I can say I really enjoy driving it, my only complaint being that the 4-speed transaxle severely limits my top speed - 55-60 mph and the motor is roaring. Really hard to keep up on the freeway where you get passed by SUVs doing 85 through the city. Next step on this I think is to grab the '84 GTI 5-speed trans out of the salvage yard and do a swap.

Oh yeah, and a smog test... :roll:

I actually found another one for $400 that I have yet to take delivery on. 93K original miles, very clean truck 'til it was smacked in the front bad enough to crumple the unibody. I plan on using it's drivetrain in one of the trucks I have. Maybe make a trailer out of whats left. 8)
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

If you haven't already done so be sure and get a Bentley manual for those. It really makes life easier and it's much better then Haynes.

FYI, check the gearing on the GTI 5 speed before you commit, you might want to find a D or TD 5 speed transaxle instead. If I'm not mistaken the GTI trans will let engine rpm drop too low in 5th to maintain highway speed. My 86 D runs about 3200 rpm down the freeway at 65 mph and it drops going up hills, sometimes to the point of downshifting...not often but sometimes.

My .02 anyway

steve a

zim - silence!
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Got the Bentley. Best manual ever (next to the Nissan FSM of course :wink: ).

Diesels are very rare around here. I never see them in the JYs. Gassers are everywhere, but no diesels whatsoever. The JY currently has the 84 GTI, an 84 Cabby and a 82-83-84 rabbit, which all have 5 speeds. Those would be my options, but I will look into the gearing.

Steve, what do you set your IP at? I'm set at 0.037 and still smoke when shifting and on heavy accel. Is this typical? Can the IP be advanced more to combat this?
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

83_maxima wrote: Maybe make a trailer out of whats left. 8)

lucky!!
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

83_maxima wrote:Got the Bentley. Best manual ever (next to the Nissan FSM of course :wink: ).

Diesels are very rare around here. I never see them in the JYs. Gassers are everywhere, but no diesels whatsoever. The JY currently has the 84 GTI, an 84 Cabby and a 82-83-84 rabbit, which all have 5 speeds. Those would be my options, but I will look into the gearing.

Steve, what do you set your IP at? I'm set at 0.037 and still smoke when shifting and on heavy accel. Is this typical? Can the IP be advanced more to combat this?
I've never checked my timing. The engine in the Golf is a donor from a 1982 Audi 4000, solid lifter 1.6 and it had only 100k miles on it when I purchased it. I replaced the timing belt but never got around to doing pump timing since it wasn't smoking. I was realizing 49/50 mpg so I didn't worry about doing it. One of these days, after I have overhauled the front suspension (parts arrived last friday) I'll get back into the engine compartment. I need to finish the 1.6 TD MF rebuild and get that installed, that'll make me happy. Right now I need a camshaft but since I can't seem to find it I'll have to borrow one off of another 1.6 ME engine I have in the garage with a bad IP.

After I check it I'll let you know, but I don't know when that'll be. As far as advancing the IP timing, you can try doing that, it's done on Peugeot also to compensate for chain stretch, it may help, it may not.

steve a

zim - silence!
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Sounds good. Some say the smoke is normal. Guess I'll find out when I take it for THE TEST.

Funny story about this truck...I was disappointed with the top speed of the 4-sp trans and was contemplating a 5sp swap when I realized that the trans in the truck WAS A 5-SP! The PO or PPO had retained the 4 speed linkage when they did a drivetrain swap for whatever reason many years ago. $5 in junkyard parts and a little while later I had a 5th gear and can realize 75 mph!

Go figure... :roll:
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

83_maxima wrote:Sounds good. Some say the smoke is normal. Guess I'll find out when I take it for THE TEST.
Some smoke is normal with these, since these early engines didn't really employ much of an exhaust gas recirc system, only CC vented back into the intake. I see some exhaust when I go down the road but it's only visible at night and with someone elses headlights behind me.
83_maxima wrote:Funny story about this truck...I was disappointed with the top speed of the 4-sp trans and was contemplating a 5sp swap when I realized that the trans in the truck WAS A 5-SP! The PO or PPO had retained the 4 speed linkage when they did a drivetrain swap for whatever reason many years ago. $5 in junkyard parts and a little while later I had a 5th gear and can realize 75 mph!
That's the cheapest 5 speed conversion I've ever heard of! I'm glad that you found that out and now have fifth. Also, if you go to a 14" VW alloy wheel and 185/60r14 tires your mileage will improve too. I think snowflakes or orlandos would look good on the truck.

steve a

zim - silence!
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

I thought I'd post an update...

After 2 pretty big snow storms in 2 weeks, the Rabbit has become my winter driver. All chained up, it pulls through anything. It may be snowing, but I'm not stuck in the rabbit!

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I got one of my diesel Rabbits stuck in an iced-over steep concrete driveway in Portland, in about 1996. It had rained, then froze over.

Hey, nice Aerostar in the background.

I think I'm looking to replace mine. Looking for a low-miles, equipped (all the bells & whistles, please) late model Aerostar to replace mine, which is getting pretty worn. Ideally, with the 3.0l and 1997 (the only year with the 5-spd auto). If I have to take a 4.0l, it is going to have to be a very clean engine, as it's definitely not my favorite.

Mine has the digital dash, power everything (incl. mirrors, power lumbar support), factory EQ, auto-dimming rear mirror, Trak-Lok 4.10 rear, privacy glass, RW defog, 2nd row captain's seats, trip computer, remote locks, factory alloys, expensive tires that still have at least three years left, absolutely NO rust, original paint still quite good, nothing larger than door-dings. I added a sturdy Class III receiver hitch. The only option it doesn't have that was offered in '89 is dual heat/dual A/C. As common as Aerostars are, it's going to be hard to replace. I've put a lot of miles on it, but I've also spent over $6k on it over the years (have all receipts). It gets a real 21 MPG overall average, and I can tow 3/4 of what I own with it.

Mine also has a cracked windscreen, whining rear axle (second time), warped rotors (fourth set), vibrating driveshaft, very loose No. 1 wrist pin (knocks bad when cold), burns a quart in 800, pings on anything less than super-super, creaking rear axle A-arm, and the driver's seat is starting to wear through the fabric where I slide in/out. Sliding door bearings are starting to sound like they'd like to retire.

I had to replace the torque converter three weeks ago: its lockup clutch disintegrated and clogged the filter, giving neutral every 100 yards. Pulled trans, replaced converter again, flushed coolers (three, in series), refilled with another $80 of synth fluid, and drove it to SoCal and back (~2500 miles).

Anyway, I look at the pending repairs on it, and think that I might do better to start over, if I could find a very nice replacement. Keep your eyes peeled. I don't care if it's a shorty or long one, but NO ELECTRONIC 4WD version, please.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

Looking good Ben! Wish I could say the same about my rabbit pickup. It hasn't made any progress other than a new (used) 1.6D engine and 5 speed trans that have yet to be installed.

Al, you don't want an Aerostar from this part of the country..believe me. There are some around but they're looking pretty sketchy at this point. I've have always tried to look for cars south of Tulsa (from an Iowa perspective) although that doesn't always work...but the ones I've had that come from that area haven't suffered as much.

sa

zim - silence!