parting out an LD28...

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

olderthanme

parting out an LD28...

Post by olderthanme »

Hey guys. I'm looking at parting out a whole LD28. The crankshaft is spoken for and I'm going to use the block and timing cover **EDIT**(NEVER MIND, WHOLE MOTOR FOR SALE). Everything can go. I don't really want to ship the cast iron head though unless you want to pay all the shiping...

Just wanted to give y'all the heads up instead of tossing the stuff.
Dan
Last edited by olderthanme 17 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
asavage
Site Admin

Re: parting out an LD28...

Post by asavage »

Hello, Dan:

Can you tell us where you are, so we can judge/calculate the shipping ourselves? Thanks!
olderthanme wrote:I'm looking at parting out a whole LD28.
Do you know which year? It's hard to tell the '81-82 apart, but the '83 has a different oil cooler (pic 1, at bottom of post) (pic 2) with an extra hose, and the IP has a different Cold Start Device.
Just wanted to give y'all the heads up instead of tossing the stuff.
We all appreciate it.

Personally, I buy & stash:
  • alternators (and the vacuum pump hoses!)
  • starters
  • injection pumps
  • harmonic balancers
  • torque dampers
  • GP temp sensor on the thermostat housing
  • injectors
  • oil cooler/filter base assy (1983 only)
Since I don't need any parts right now, I will be your buyer of last resort on those.

Other like used LD28 intake manifolds, used glow plugs.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
olderthanme

Post by olderthanme »

I am in Atlanta, GA.
The engine is supposedly a 1983.
It has 118,000 miles on it.
I am checking for interest for this engine as it is just down the street at the local yard.

If I know there is interest in the parts I'll pick the motor up and start stripping it down.

I'm another Z car guy but I figured that I would rather not leave a gutted LD28 to waste when y'all could use the stuff.

Dan
Sorry I put this thread in the wrong forum...
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

I'm interested. I might even be willing to make a trip down to Atlanta to pick up the heavier items (head and block). Al's list is pretty much the must save list of shippable stuff. Thanks for trying to keep this stuff from being melted down!
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Matt, Dan's keeping the block.

I do have a need for a spare valve cover.

I assume that you are contemplating buying the whole engine from the JY (if you can resell the parts you don't need). Put me down for the VC for $10 + whatever shipping is (probably +$15-20). I will want it shipped to an address on your coast, not way over here.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

If available, the air intake "hose" (from the intake manifold to the air filter box) is something I'd pay a couple of bux to have a spare. They are now getting to the age where they are starting to deteriorate.
olderthanme

Post by olderthanme »

goglio704, If you do want the block I'll sell it to you. I don't really need the stuff taking up the space around here. I just have a project that wil require an LD block as a starting base.

asavage, What is a VC?, I can have the valve cover powdercoated for an extra $70. check http://www.thepowdercoater.com . Very good stuff. I have had a gas L6 valve cover and a gas L4 valve cover both powdercoated by him and they are awesome!
I'll try to grab that hose for you.

He also did my engine block in color shifting prismatic black.

Should be getting the motor in a week or so.
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

thats insane!
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

olderthanme wrote:I can have the valve cover powdercoated for an extra $70. check http://www.thepowdercoater.com . Very good stuff. I have had a gas L6 valve cover and a gas L4 valve cover both powdercoated by him and they are awesome!
I am planning on using these folks:
http://keystonepowdercoating.com/gallery.htm

I'm going to violate my own "max width" rule for these pics. I am just too tired to download, resize, and host these right now.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

I think I'm going to have one done in that green. And an SD VC too.

Does your guy do this kind of thing?
Regards,
Al S.

olderthanme

Post by olderthanme »

Yes Mike at the powdercoater.com can do all of those and make them look just as good. He has this metalflake red that just looks incredible!!

I think something like that that silver vein would be great on an LD valve cover.
Mike can do any color under the rainbow. He can even color match the paint on your car. (He'll probably need something with the car's paint so he can properly match it)

If you look at me engine the valve cover has the prismatic black and then a powder clearcoat. The block just has the prismatic black. The clearcoat really brings out the depth in the paint...(Mike did lots of his L28 engine stuff in candy green)
Here is his personal two color valve cover

and a 240z valve cover
and a wrinkle black L28ET valve cover

he mostly does Corvette brakes...

Lots of candy red...
Just check out the gallery on his site for more examples of his work
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

Sorry, I was speed reading and didn't catch the fact that you need the block. I don't really need a block (or a head), but I don't want another one to get melted down either.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
TheDieseliminator

Post by TheDieseliminator »

Al, would you happen to know how much the High Gloss/Super Chrome coating job would cost on a 6 cylinder valve cover? The powdercoating jobs do really come out nice and it's really tempting to get it done. LOL.

Salvy
1982 Datsun Maxima diesel wagon w/ 228k miles
*occasional daily driver*

1982 Datsun Maxima diesel sedan w/ 252k miles
*now off the road as a parts car and sent to the yard :( *
Chewievette

Post by Chewievette »

Let me know how much for the rods, I've been looking for a set forever. If you want to keep the pistons it doesnt matter to me I would probably chuck them anyways.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

TheDieseliminator wrote:Al, would you happen to know how much the High Gloss/Super Chrome coating job would cost on a 6 cylinder valve cover?
Email them. I got a response the next business day, two of them actually.

I want to send money their way because they've done a superiour communication job in their auctions, and they answer email. However, I have several things I want powercoated and I don't mind spreading the work around.
olderthanme

Post by olderthanme »

Hey guys...
Just picked up the motor and it is in pretty good shape!
118,000 miles
Was run for only 7 years from 83 to 90. It has been in a warehouse ever since.
I have the intake, black tube off the intake, exhaust manifold, complete fuel injection setup, block, head, random tubes and some hoses, valve cover with rubber gasket, and pretty much everyhting else.
Let me know what you need.

THE CRANKSHAFT AND CONNECTING RODS ARE CURRENTLY SPOKEN FOR.

OTM