Where can I get a new 5speed transmission for my 1982 720?

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

dualfuel

Where can I get a new 5speed transmission for my 1982 720?

Post by dualfuel »

Hi,
I bought my truck in Germany in 1988-89. I have put a gas trans in it from a 81 donor truck. Since then, all the parts in MI have dried up. Perhaps you cats out west could help me locate, purchase, and ship a trans for my Datsun.
I appreciate any help or clues.
DF
1982 720 regular cab
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The front countershaft brgs die fairly early on the SD version of the FS5W71x transmissions. If you catch them early enough (just when they begin making noise in all gears except 4th), you can just rebuild them, but it seems like most people run them until they won't move anymore.

I, like a lot of others, swapped the diesel's front case half with the front of a gasser trans, using all the gasser's gears. The gear ratios are not all that different. And there are lots and lots of gasser transmissions around. It sounds like you've already done that once.

Parts for the gasser gearsets are still available (except, maybe, the reverse idler gear). The diesel-specific gears are another matter, but all the seals, gaskets, baulk rings etc. are available.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
dualfuel

Post by dualfuel »

Dear Asavage,
Do you infer that the parts are available in Port Townsend, WA.? If so could you name some names? The problem I am having here on the island is that there aren't anymore diesel datsuns or datsuns period! All I have left is a 83 Nissan 4wd that I might be able to butcher, but it is still working and I need it in the bush so...
I say again, if anyone knows where a transmission is that is new or a working used one, I'd like to know the name of the place or person who has such an item, and the associated contact info. I've waited 10 years, I can give it some more time.
Thanks again,
DF
1982 720 regular cab
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I don't have any spare FS5W71x transmissions, but one can use a whole range of Datsun donor vehicles for the gasser transmission, then swap the front housing. Did you follow the link above? Get any FS5W71 trans from any 2WD 1980-85 720, buy the front & rear seals from, say, Transmission Xchange in Portland, Ore. (Spencer was the parts man there, last time I ordered from them) and the front bearing retainer gasket, and follow my pictorial on swapping the front case.

I always budget for a new CS front bearing and mainshaft input bearing though. The universal bearing part Nos. are in that thread (link above).

===================

Hmmm. You didn't say which body series is your truck, nor the year. Is it a 720, or a D21? And what year? There are some minor tailshaft length differences over the years.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

asavage

Please give me the link to the transmission pictorial. Thanks.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

dn...

2nd post in thread, 2nd paragraph, highlighted.
82 Maxima wagon