WTB: 82 or 83 maxi diesel (datsun 810)

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

barkford

WTB: 82 or 83 maxi diesel (datsun 810)

Post by barkford »

Hello group:
I am hoping to find a 1982-1983 Datsun 810/Maxima diesel 5 speed sedan. I know I may be waiting a while! There are a couple on Craigslist but they are too far (west coast). I am located on east coast and would prefer finding one over here if possible. I am searching craigslist fairly regularly as well.

I am a big diesel fan and have always wanted a first gen Maxi! I am not into modifications much, want to restore something close to stock.

Thanks for any hints or advice.

bb
barkford

Post by barkford »

A bit lonely out here waiting for a Maxima diesel! I think it will be worth the wait.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

google "craigshelper"

Use most likely site (SearchTempest ?? - I forget what the name is) to search Craigslist over a wide area (nationally of you want). There are not that many of them out there so you might as well spread the net really wide. This is a good spot but it has limited membership compared with the CL coverage. You might also post on CL as "WTB: 81-83 Nissan Maxima diesel parts", see what you turn up; pretty long shot but maybe it'll shake something loose from the back forty. Might also help to put your location in your "profile" so people know where you're coming from...

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
barkford

Post by barkford »

Thanks for the tips. I like searchtempest.com and have had some success searching in allofcraigs.com as well. I will keep digging! btw - did see what I wanted in tampa - 5spd, blue sedan but for some odd reason owner would not divulge VIN over phone. (Was actually going to give to my insurance agent and go buy the thing!!!) That threw up a red flag and I've had to keep searching.

bb
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

> vin number...

Yeah, that kind of tugs at you. But it's pretty sure you did the right thing. Maybe they were just a little paranoid but I don't think _you_ were. There's a whole lot of auto scams on CL and even on ebay. I forget the car (Toyota?) but last year I saw a vehicle listed twice, same photo, same text - one listing was in CA, one was in NJ! Now if I'm really interested, I try to pick out two or three short word groups from the ad that look a little unique that I can put quotes around and google; figure to at least smoke the most obvious crooks...

Good luck.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
barkford

Post by barkford »

Totally agree - buyer beware (and be smart) to use CL !!! Hope your wagon is running well !

Best,

bb
barkford

Post by barkford »

Looks like I'll be spending more time on this forum. Found my Maxima diesel deep in the heart of Texas! (clap, clap, clap, clap). Gonna bring it home after Christmas on a road trip. This is going to be a blast. :)
NewDieselHead

Able to find a manual trans or just an automatic diesel seda

Post by NewDieselHead »

I just wanted to check and see if you were able to find the transmission you were really looking for in the Datsun Maxima? I have a line on a fellow in Goodland Kansas that seems to have a few vehicles and parts for this car. He had/has a listed vehicle on CL (goodland Kansas) nissan diesel.

Also I happen to have an '82 Maxima automatic. It went up for sell last week on classicZcars.com. It is beige. I am willing to provide additional pics and VIN. No holds barred. Just not in a rush to let it go. So it can stay here till Feb or March as neede if it is desired. But it IS for sell so I am planning for it to go to someone.

It came from Alturas, California, and was in really good shape (before it got hailed upon in Colorado). It still looks good and is reliable. The seats are starting to show sun wear on top due to sunlight through non-UV windows.

Hope this car finds someone that will love it a lot as I have.

Cheers...
NewDieselHead

Update to available car in Goodland Kansas...

Post by NewDieselHead »

Not sure if his car is still available, but here is his info...

http://wichita.craigslist.org/pts/2703410081.html

sale-xmhhg-2703410081@craigslist.org

Larry

785-821-2197

Best regards...
barkford

Parts

Post by barkford »

Sincere thanks to ASAVAGE for the FAQ on LD28 maintenance. Per the FAQ, ordered and received oil, fuel and air filters from the fine folks at RockAuto. Plan to get car serviced before making the journey home. Will be later in Jan before I go to pick it up. Can't wait.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Great way to start a new year. Have the grand ol' time.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
barkford

The LD28 has landed

Post by barkford »

So now I have one! From Houston to Charlotte - a drive I'll never forget and a drive my other half will not let me forget. The interior of this car has been baked at 3.5 million degrees for the past 20 years in the TX sun. Whatever is left of the metal on the roof is held on by construction tape. (keeps the sunroof from opening unexpectedly I believe). I would like to believe this could be a good riding car. However, the current handling is no better than '63 Chevy pickup. I-10 was a toss up on which direction the car would actually steer toward when the bouncing calmed down. The clutch gave out somewhere in Louisiana. Having learned as a teenager you don't always need a clutch if you rev the motor right, I kept going and except for gas stations, it wasn't all that bad. (Folks did wonder at the gas stations why the diesel maxima slowly circled the pumps and stalked them however) The gasser folks never seem to understand us spark free types need that one special pump! So here's where I am - master and slave cylinders replaced for clutch. All good there. Driver door fixed so I don't have to enter from passenger side. (Also a prerequisite per the mechanic to get at the clutch.) They are taking a look at the suspension now to see what can do be done for the rodeo ride. Depdending on how bad the rust sitch is, I may sell it anyway. It will at least be mechanically sound when I sell it! Pics to follow.[/b]
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Sounds mostly like suspension issues. Those can actually be fixed... <g> The clutch might well be the cylinder or hydraulic line. Didn't see any rust in the pics - very good. Tx heat kills the paint and interior, not the metal.

Don't know what your expense looks like but I considered retiring my Max wagon (in low fairish condition) but have held off after reviewing available cars for price/size/gas mileage. I get an indicated 24-26 mpg in city driving plus another 8-10% because of large tires. 'Course I drive like an old, old lady. It's not a no-brainer figure by itself, but with the cost of another car that would be anything better it just looks like the Max will be my car for a while... Manual trannys get better mileage than autos, so you should do OK there.

Good luck. Have fun. <g>

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
Dr. Jones

Post by Dr. Jones »

She's a beauty, nice to see some more E. Coasters.
'82 Maxima Sedan x2
'92 Saab 9000 Griffin Edition Wrecked
'80 Ford E100(twisted tranny) SCRAPPED