WTB sd22 head

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

ziper1221

WTB sd22 head

Post by ziper1221 »

Hello, my head is damaged and I'm trying to figure out if it would be a better idea to try and get it repaired or just get a new one. I assume the 23/25 heads are not compatible?

thanks.
1982 720 SD22
Florida
waynosworld

Re: WTB sd22 head

Post by waynosworld »

So are there cracks between the valves?

Did it leak coolant before, or did a machine shop tell you they were cracked?

If not cracked between the valves what is the damage?
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
ziper1221

Post by ziper1221 »

Well, its smoking fuel due to incomplete combustion. No bubbles in coolant. not a problem with the injector, either. I would get it magnafluxed, but I want to drive it for a bit as is. I never did check the compression because the kit I bought didn't fit the injectors.

It could be an invisible hairline crack, I suppose, but the visible damage is just a rather large amount of displaced metal.
1982 720 SD22
Florida
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

ziper1221 wrote: 4 years ago Well, its smoking fuel due to incomplete combustion. No bubbles in coolant. not a problem with the injector, either. I would get it magnafluxed, but I want to drive it for a bit as is. I never did check the compression because the kit I bought didn't fit the injectors.

It could be an invisible hairline crack, I suppose, but the visible damage is just a rather large amount of displaced metal.
I am not really sure what you mean on most this post, I believe your saying it smokes, does it quit smoking after it warms up(5 minutes), they all smoke a few puffs when first started in the morning.
A blown headgasket would likely act like it had a miss on one or more cylinders, and how do you know the injector is good, did you completely take it apart?
When an injector is plugged the engine will act like it has a miss, and you will be able to tell which cylinder is missing by loosening each injector line till opening the one that don't change the engine idle.

The reason I asked about cracks between the valves is I thought you had the head off, so what is this displaced metal your talking about, if the head is still on the engine then I am wondering what your talking about.
ziper1221

Post by ziper1221 »

Sorry for the confusing reply. I know that it is cylinder 3, and not that injector, because when I crack the number 3 injector line it stops smoking. I was able to eliminate the injector as the issue because I after swapping the number 3 injector with another injector, the problem stayed with the number 3 cylinder and not with the injector. After cracking the number 3 injector line, the idle does also drop a little bit, which leads to me believe that there is still some combustion going on. When I last had the engine apart, I was unsure if the damage was in the cylinder wall, the piston, or the head. I had a spare piston, so I replaced the sleeve and put the extra piston in, but it still smokes.

I thought I took a picture of the head before putting it back together, but it must've been on my old phone and not on my PC, because I cant find it. Just imagine the shape the might result from jamming a dropped valve into the head, right between the valves and the injector.
1982 720 SD22
Florida
scrapman1077

Post by scrapman1077 »

I have a head, where are you located?
ziper1221

Post by ziper1221 »

south florida
1982 720 SD22
Florida
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

Does it smoke like this engine?
image.png
image.png (628.27 KiB) Viewed 5428 times
image.png
image.png (600.75 KiB) Viewed 5429 times
The thread about the engine above, I overheated this engine.
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3848

The head appeared to be fine on this engine even though it smoked something terrible when I started it in the morning when it was cold, it also had this funny smell all the time even after warmed up and it didn't smoke so bad anymore.

I believe that the SD25 and SD22 have different heads, I don't know if they interchange, they might but I don't know for sure.
ziper1221

Post by ziper1221 »

Yeah, it looked something like that. This head was overheated as well.
1982 720 SD22
Florida
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I retired that engine soon after that because it smoked too much in the golf course parking lots and I was getting comments from strangers, I put a rebuilt SD22 in the truck but was not happy with the power, this was before I figured out how to turbocharge them, but a year or 2 later I was offered another SD25 engine and that is in the truck now.
I took apart that engine that was overheated and really could not see a reason for it to smoke, but I did find a slightly bent rod that I tried to find a replacement for locally but was not successful, so I decided to make it a spare parts engine as there really are not a lot of places to buy SD25 engine parts.
A guy that owns a shop that I sent photos to of the pistons believes the rings got messed up when it was overheated.