For Sale 81 720 Diesel

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

Lauren

For Sale 81 720 Diesel

Post by Lauren »

Howdy folks, maybe I should have found this forum earlier...but I don’t think it would have changed the outcome. So, for sale is my much loved 81 Datsun 720 with the SD 22. As you know, it’s a great truck, as I know, it has many issues, listed below.
1. Intermittent starting issue, sometimes the starter fires, sometimes not. The engine starts fine but there must be a loose connection somewhere...started happening right after I replaced the starter about 3 months ago.
2. Signals don’t work, the light comes on, but I have to flip the toggle to create the “flashing”. Problem began when I replaced the starter...
3. Rust...floor boards, engine bay, etc. I’ll attach pics I hope.
4. Sucking oil, about a quart a week. Two shops say it’s past the rings, but also when running could be blowing by the pan gasket, head gasket, etc. It doesn’t actively leak on the ground.

The good, good tires. Lumber rack and canopy although my next truck may take the lumber rack. King cab! New tailights. Block heater. Battery is strong. I’m a great guy to negotiate with.

Lauren Varney
Portland Oregon
406-880-8240
Lauren

Re: For Sale 81 720 Diesel

Post by Lauren »

image.jpg
image.jpg (4.04 MiB) Viewed 3154 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (5.2 MiB) Viewed 3154 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (4.12 MiB) Viewed 3154 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (3.53 MiB) Viewed 3154 times
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I think I have seen this truck before, you ever take it to the Canby Datsun show?

Have you checked the flashers by the steering column near your left knee?

Have you cycled the 4-way switch(several times) on the top of the column cover, sometimes the contacts inside get dirty and it needs to be used/cycled.

Good luck with the sale. :)
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

Probably not Canby, it’s been in Montana for the last 20 years ish, but was originally from Washington. I’ve checked the flashers, the relay tested fine. I do think it’s in the column switch assembly somewhere. The control module for the glow plugs just went out, that’s where I think my intermittent starting issue was coming from, now it just gave up entirely, so it no longer starts/runs.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

Sorry for the delay, I only come here maybe once a week right now, sometimes the contacts in either the 4 way switch get dirty and that is why it needs to be cycled several times, I have heard of others that say the contacts in the turn signal switch got dirty also.

As for it not starting this is a complicated subject as there is a lot going on, when I am having trouble getting an engine started I remove the arm going from the injection pump to the injection pump controller below the injection pump, this allows the injection pump to rest in the run position, then I manually with a large gauge wire warm up the glow plugs for 30 seconds and then I start it, when that arm is removed from the injection pump arm it bypasses all the electrical stuff.

When you turn the key on does the glow plug light come on or flash and then go out immediately?
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Lots of '81 720 diesels in the US, but not so many KC diesels. Looks like a fun project truck for someone who's interested in tinkering.

The rust, while annoying, is a lot less of an issue with the truck than with the Sentra or Maxima.

The oil consumption is all too typical. You either live with it (feed it oil) or resleeve/repiston it. There's no middle ground on the SD series.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.