posting pictures

Post here to test posting techniques, image attachments, try out bbcode, test signatures, report problems with the forum software, etc.

Moderator: Nissan_Ranger

kassim503

posting pictures

Post by kassim503 »

how can i post pictures with my posts
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
glenlloyd

Re: posting pictures

Post by glenlloyd »

[edit added 28Apr2014:
Because pictures on photo-hosting services tend to not be there a couple years down the road, I have been periodically going through all posts every month or so and taking a couple of hours to download posted photos to a local directory on the server, then editing every post to point to the local copy instead of the photo hosting service copy. This is to avoid the broken links problem when the photo hosting account goes dormant, or somebody exceeds their quota and the pictures get deleted.

But it's a lot of work for me.

I recently upgraded the forum software so that we now have native files hosting via attachments. Try that feature out, instead of using photo hosting elsewhere? It will save me a lot of work. Give it a try.
]
kassim503 wrote:how can i post pictures with my posts
Hey
There are several ways to accomplish this. First does your service provider allocate any "web space" to you? If so then you can upload your pictures to that web space (I use ftp).

Second, you can join (for free) a service like imageShack.us to host images and it will provide upload facility that works like file browsing, you go to the directory where the image is located and upload...pretty easy. The other nice thing is that it provides you with different types of links for different types of posts.

I use a combination of Imageshack and personal web space. The French Peugeot forum I belong to likes it if you use Imageshack so I do, and it's pretty easy and for now it's free. I wouldn't keep the only copy of a photo I had on imageshack...cause you never know when they'll close-up shop.

Once you get the picture located "somewhere" then all you need to do is use the "[img]http://where%20it%20is/image.jpg(gif%20etc.)[/img]" commands to include the pic in your post.

If you use imageshack you just cut and paste one of the links they provide into the post and it should appear in the post then.

Anyway, hope this helps, and I know Al will chime in too on this.

steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

If you want an image off the web to appear in a post, you use the [img]tag%20around%20it,%20as%20in%20Steve's%20example%20above.%20%20If%20you%20want,%20you%20can%20use%20the%20Img%20button%20in%20the%20compose%20window%20to%20avoid%20the%20typing,%20but%20I%20don't%20ever%20use%20it,%20I%20just%20type%20"[img]"%20and%20"[/img]", but that's habit.

You'll need to copy the URI of the image from the web into your OS' clipboard (copy-n-paste for you 'doze users), and paste it between the IMG tags here.

If you want to include a picture of your own in a post, it's a little trickier, and Steve has given you the answer: you have to have a place to host your pics. This forum software doesn't come with such a capability (but it was free, so I don't complain); it's available as an add-on but has complications and implications I don't want to explore yet. So this forum doesn't in itself host images or files for other folks (except me, of course, since I own the hardware).

However, I will host any photos of related interest if it's not too much work for me to administer. The current way to do this is if you email me the pic and tell me you want me to host the pic(s) for you, I'll do that. Or if the pics add up to more than about 1MiB (which is pretty easy to exceed these days), the mail servers won't pass such large files on and will barf, so I've created an http upload form here, and you can upload whatever you like there. And then email me to let me know that you've done that, because I don't currently have any auto-notification setup on that upload area.

And then I'll create a directory ("folder" for you 'doze users) on the server for your pics, and email you back a URL or URLs to them. Thence you can use those URLs in your posts.

Now, if you're asking about avatars . . . read the forum software FAQ and if it still doesn't make any sense, get back to me.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
philip
Deceased

Re: posting pictures

Post by philip »

glenlloyd wrote:
kassim503 wrote:how can i post pictures with my posts
Hey
There are several ways to accomplish this. First does your service provider allocate any "web space" to you? If so then you can upload your pictures to that web space (I use ftp).

Second, you can join (for free) a service like imageShack.us to host images and it will provide upload facility that works like file browsing, you go to the directory where the image is located and upload...pretty easy. SNIP
steve a
I use PHOTOBUCKET.com . Very simple to setup, contribute to, and link saved images. They also compress any files you archive if they are WAY too large.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

imageshacks pretty easy, i think its great for lazy people like me
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Good news!

Now that I have enough online storage for it, I will add a MOD to phpBB that will allow us to upload pictures directly. It's a bit involved to do, but it's definitely on my To-Do list.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
ffdjm

Post by ffdjm »

Can I use my ftp server to include pictures in posts?

Douglas
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

ffdjm wrote:Can I use my ftp server to include pictures in posts?
Yes. I've done it from my ftp server. However, certain ftp server software will not allow many multiple connections from user "anonymous" and will fail to display the fifth or tenth or whatever image. This is a problem when you do several posts in a thread, each with one or two or more images served via ftp . When someone comes along and tries to display the thread, the whole series of posts and images tries to load at once, the ftp server denies the requests, and the pictures won't load.

But if you limit yourself to only a couple of ftp-served images per thread, ftp works fine, yes.
Regards,
Al S.

jenny1386

Post by jenny1386 »

For me Photobucket is best and easy way of uploading photos to forum.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

A significant problem with using a photo hosting service such as Photobucket is that they are frequently time-limited in their storage. For example, this post.

Future visitors years on can't follow the thread because the pics are no longer available.

When Philip passed, I took the time to research every post he'd made, manually downloaded each picture he'd posted, copied them to my server, and edited every post to point to the new location. It took several hours.

In future, if I can find a phpBB MOD developer willing to take on the task, I'll pay someone to rewrite the Anchor BBCode MOD that we're using here, to work with phpBB3. phpBB3 is the next version of this forum software, and it allows users to host pictures on my server -- you know, like modern software.

I can't upgrade from the current phpBB2 -- what we have now -- to phpBB3 until I can get that MOD updated.
Regards,
Al S.