Outage 7-13-07

News & discussion about the forum's server, hardware, software, upgrades, features, etc.

Moderator: Nissan_Ranger

rlaggren

Outage 7-13-07

Post by rlaggren »

Figure you know about it (!), but from Chicago I could find your IP, but couldn't raise the site or get a PING response.

All seems normal now.

Cheers, Rufus
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Netgear DG834 router lockup. It died about 10am PST 13-Jul, and I power-cycled it when I got home about 20:00 PST.

I have little control over the thing. I have used about a dozen different xDSL routers over the ten years I've had DSL service, and this NetGear is nearly the best of the bunch. I had a commercial-class Cisco 827 that was marginally better, but it became obsolete about two years ago for the class of DSL service I can get here (and it was a MAJOR PITA to configure! Remember the days before web-based router configuration? I lived it.), so I eBay'd it.

I suppose I should enable remote configuration of the router, but [shrug]. It's only a hobby. It all works pretty well, overall.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

> remote config...

Only if you want something else to bother you when you're away from the desk. Life's limitations incorporate some benefits too. <g>

And there's a security aspect.

I'm curious if you still use OS/2. I ran it up to W3, but things got hectic about then and I missed getting on board W4. I really enjoyed the difference between the IBM system and Windows - "felt" like there was a real system there. When I got to looking at opsys software again I might have been able to scrounge an upgrade (I don't recall the W4 full box retail, but I didn't want to pay it at the time), but I decided Linux was about as much work but had better desktop security and IBM had started looking weak about supporting OS/2.

Rufus