Admin away Apr 06-09, 2006

News & discussion about the forum's server, hardware, software, upgrades, features, etc.

Moderator: Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

Admin away Apr 06-09, 2006

Post by asavage »

I'll be out of town on Apr 6-9 for the

http://www.portlandswapmeet.com

largest auto swap meet on the west coast. I try to attend every year. Last year, I took a trailer down that weekend and bought a spare LD28 in Tigard. Also brought back a vanload of stuff, non-LD28. It's great fun looking over the stuff for three days or so.

Used to be a four-day event, but now Thurs is vendor setup only, so I only get two full days to see over 4000 stalls -- can't be done.

If the site goes down while I'm gone, it'll stay down until Sunday night.
Last edited by asavage 16 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

Can you pay a gate fee to get in and shop on vendor setup day or would you have to pay a vendor fee? One can miss a lot of good stuff if they aren't in there when it's being unpacked...i hate missing setup! When I used to do "shows" you could pay a $20 on setup day and shop.

sa
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

That's a good question, one I should investigate. Thanks for the idea.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07

Re: Admin away Apr 06-09

Post by Guest »

asavage wrote:I'll be out of town on Apr 6-9 for the

http://www.portlandswapmeet.com

largest auto swap meet on the west coast. I try to attend every year. Last year, I took a trailer down that weekend and bought a spare LD28 in Tigard. Also brought back a vanload of stuff, non-LD28. It's great fun looking over the stuff for three days or so.

Used to be a four-day event, but now Thurs is vendor setup only, so I only get two full days to see over 4000 stalls -- can't be done.

If the site goes down while I'm gone, it'll stay down until Sunday night.
Hope you had a good time, Al. The wife and I have friends who moved from Escondido (CA) to Tigard 3 yrs ago. They love it up there.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I couldn't go :cry:

I try to go every year, but some years I can't make it happen. This year, I decided that I just couldn't afford it. I could take the time off, but had to drop health insurance coverage in January -- the bastards upped the monthly rate $70 and doubled the deductible, and it was going to be over 25% of my net income for the insurance premiums, so I dropped it and am now "screwing w/o condoms" for health insurance, ie the Bush "private savings accounts" plan. I had to order another year's worth of allergy antigens which was $450 and I have to do the annual allergy testing suite in two weeks which is another $300, and I decided that the trip/stayover/admission/parking fees of the Portland Swap Meet would be a bad hit to the budgeting process.

I compromised by buying the 300ZX turbo off of CL in Portland. Yeah, I wanted it, but I'd have rather spent four days at the Swap Meet. Thursday, Boss started telling me about someone else who was going, and I cut him right off: If I can't go, I don't want to hear about anyone else's good time! That's the kind of bastard I am.

Portland is a nice city, if you like city living. Tigard (for those of you who aren't familiar with suburbs of Portland, Ore.) is a southerly suburb. West Linn and Lake Oswego are other upscale suburbs to the east of Tigard, and overall it's just a nice area. Me, I gave up city living -- lived in Portland area for a couple of years, don't really like neighbors who live close enough I have to listen to their music (I used to have to run a small fan on a timer to provide enough white noise to go to sleep), and auto traffic stresses me more than most, so I moved to the boonies and try to live more simply. But it puts me a long ways away from the good JYs! No Starbucks within 50 miles of here (which is all right with me, as I don't drink the stuff). Poor TV reception -- but I don't own a TV.

I came home from the Lakewood JY tonight, and rather than the three I had last year, I had four deer eating the bushes in my front yard. Two fawns, cute as a button. That's what I'm talking about.
Regards,
Al S.

philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:I couldn't go :cry:
(snip)
I decided that the trip/stayover/admission/parking fees of the Portland Swap Meet would be a bad hit to the budgeting process.
(snip)
Portland is a nice city, if you like city living. Tigard (for those of you who aren't familiar with suburbs of Portland, Ore.) is a southerly suburb. West Linn and Lake Oswego are other upscale suburbs to the east of Tigard, and overall it's just a nice area.
(snip).
Al: As you -may- recall, I flew up to Tigard in July 2006, drove Sept 2007, and flew again Dec 2007. I have extended family. Also in Hillsboro. That's a 1000 mile trip ... each way. I came real close to selling my home in OC but ... as you say ... this wasn't supposed to happen, mostly due to more and more involve health and during the past 2yrs, the housing market has dropped. Fortunately, I don't have to move. I'm set :wink: . As you say, (the upscale suburbs) are not my ideal either. And temperatures passing below 50 degrees is not at all ideal for a couple of problems I have. So, I come up during May - Sept.

I'm thinking this next trip will be with the Buick. Many people are getting an IRS "economic stimulus" check -back- later this year. ( http://www.irs.gov ) Mine expect to be about $300 which will cover the Buick's gasoline and the fast foods while driving. :shock: :roll: :wink:
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

philip wrote:And temperatures passing below 50 degrees is not at all ideal for a couple of problems I have.
The climate is very different between OC and the PDX area. You must make you peace with damp, drizzle, and grey, things you don't have to deal with in OC. Temps under 50°F are normal between Oct. and Apr (the months you aren't visiting ;) ); with rare exceptions, you pretty much will not see 60° until May.

That said, a whole lot of SoCal folks have moved north in the past decades, including my family. Naturally, it's easier to make the transition when you're younger rather than more experienced ;) For many years, the difference in real estate prices made it easy to sell south and buy north, but the difference is not as great now as it once was.
I'm thinking this next trip will be with the Buick. Many people are getting an IRS "economic stimulus" check -back- later this year.
Don't get me started on the ES scam -- dipping a bucket in one end of a swimming pool and dumping its contents in the other end does not make any sense to me. Borrowing money to give out on the theory that the recipients will spend it on goods and services is crazy, because: a) with the average debt level of Americans, the odds are that many are going to make their VISA payment with this "found" money, stimulating only the credit industry :roll:; b) Borrowing money to give to Americans is like taking a VISA cash advance: the interest rate is terrible. IOW, this is expensive money.
Mine expect to be about $300 which will cover the Buick's gasoline and the fast foods while driving.
So, your idea of "ecomoronic stimulus" is to stimulate the fast-food industry and foreign oil importers, eh?
Regards,
Al S.

philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:
philip wrote:-snip-
Mine expect to be about $300 which will cover the Buick's gasoline and the fast foods while driving.
So, your idea of "ecomoronic stimulus" is to stimulate the fast-food industry and foreign oil importers, eh?
"Economic Stimulus" is the Congress / IRS fresh new name this time for buying off lower economic voters. Nothing new.

For those who do have VISA, they may deposit for that. Others (like me) will just send you (Al) a few bucks and cash the rest for fuel. :wink: Do you feel better? :wink: I might take 300 $ingles, stamp them with http://www.wheresgeorge.com , and spend along the way for fuel. :lol:

There's Donkys and there's Elephants. On the lower economic scale, who do you think will actually sway toward voting later this year, thanks to a gov check? :wink:
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"