May be power outage

News & discussion about the forum's server, hardware, software, upgrades, features, etc.

Moderator: Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

May be power outage

Post by asavage »

I monitor the EMS channels at work, using a scanner. I just heard on the scanner that there is a power line down basically 50 yds from my place, so I have to assume the server may be running on one of the UPSs right now. It'll probably only run for 30-45 minutes as configured. If you're reading this, the server and DSL modem are still up and running ;) If you're not reading this, they're not :(

I'm 17 miles away and can't do a thing about it until tonight.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Not that storm, but the one after . . .

100000 people are without power in the Puget Sound region tonight, and I'm one of them. Currently running on the chinese genset stolen from work, as both of my own generators are down and non-op.

I doubt that Puget Sound Energy will have local power up for a couple or few days, so this site will be up & down until they get it sorted out. A couple hours in the morning, and a couple/few hours at night is what I can do with the genset.; the battery bank on my BC800LAN won't carry the server through the night or the day, so I'll probably just turn on/off the server manually when I'm home.

Sorry for the inconvenience. It's a whole lot less convenient for me, believe me!
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
moose60

Post by moose60 »

Keep the freezer closed Al. I hope (for your sake) that you get the new gensets running soonish.

Byron
Byron

82 Datsun 720 KC SD22

MPG Machine
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The horror of it is that the BFA was a runner, before I did the electronic ignition mod. The mod is pretty much done, but that genset is not exactly mobile: it requires planning, the overhead hoist, the util trailer, and most importantly a cleared spot to place it at home. I couldn't just throw all that together on five hours notice. The Harbor Freight special I can just throw in the back of the Aerostar.

Funny: boss has been bragging how his power never stays out long, because his block is on a grid that is higher priority than others due to some government buildings in the area. All day long his power stayed up when others around him died.

So I got home, found my situation, called him and asked to borrow the chinese genset, he said OK. I said, "are you sure, you know as soon as I take it, you'll need it?". He assured me that he wouldn't need it, the wind has died down out here.

You already know the punchline. An hour later, he called, his power's out. We both laughed. But I'm not taking the genset back tonight.

My other genset I purchased sight-unseen off CL and it's down in Woodland, near the WA/OR border, and it's just too long a haul to pick up without doing something else on the trip. I had someone willing to pick it up day before yesterday, who was driving to Wilsonville and back in one day (think extreme SW Portland), but the Seller wasn't available that day. Damned bad timing.

So, I own two generators, a tool I need at most four times a year, and I'm still having to borrow one.
Regards,
Al S.

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Power came on at 7:30a, so I switched over. Weather is clement, so let's see if it stays on for a while.
Regards,
Al S.

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

There have been dozens of small outages here over the past three weeks, only two longer than the UPS could carry.

At this time (Wed. pm) a major windstorm is predicted for tomorrow afternoon, 14-Dec. Some say it could rival the infamous Columbus Day storm of 1962 (which destroyed the Salem, Ore. capitol dome, BTW).

I am expecting to have no power for a while. But we'll be back, as soon as the power and DSL come back up.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Surprisingly, power was back on in less than 24 hours.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:Surprisingly, power was back on in less than 24 hours.
The power outtages up your way were / are all over the news down here!
Last edited by philip 17 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

My road was "Road Closed" a mile from home this morning. Turned around and detoured 14 miles to get back on track, had to skirt a couple of half-sawn trees in the road, nearly ran right into one. Lots and lots of downed trees, but then I live in a very wooded, very rural area.

Coming home, the road was reopened but lots of tree-removal crews working (at 9:30 pm). Dark, dark stretches of road from Port Hadlock clear down to almost a mile from where I live, then the homes started having lights on, so I guess my place is fed from further south. For once, I live on the "right side of the tracks"!

Freezing weather tonight. I have heat and light courtesy of a non-electric propane furnace and a propane lamp, but the pipes freeze very easily on my place, so it's nice to have the well powered and running: I can let the taps run a little overnight, cheaper than split galv elbows.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

But ... the air is clean, clear, and crisply scented with pine, right? :wink:
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

The weather there made the news here too. Glad your O.K.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

The way I see it, it's all in the luck of the draw. My power went out around midnight Thurs. night, just came on tonight (Tues.) This is well INSIDE Seattle city limits, a major metropolitan area, no way can be considered a rural area. Doesn't mean it was any less cold or dark! But I could take a 15 mins. walk and find a warm, (relatively) well-lit crowded bar full of happy people. Tried hard not to make it too much of a habit.

The hardest part was hearing about the folks who died of carbon monoxide poisoning.