URL wrapper

News & discussion about the forum's server, hardware, software, upgrades, features, etc.

Moderator: Nissan_Ranger

goglio704

URL wrapper

Post by goglio704 »

Hey Al,

I really like the way the URL wrapper works on here versus another board I'm on. Would like to mention it to them since I think their board uses more or less the same software. Is that something custom or just an option you've put in?
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

It's bbCode, and AFAIK its not an add-on I've installed, it's the way phpBB works. Actually, it's the way bbCode works.

I use several other boards that use different software, and many use the same format. One board requires the URL be quoted

Code: Select all

[url="http://someurl.com"]Link text here[/url]
as opposed to phpBB's non-quoted syntax

Code: Select all

[url=http://someurl.com]Link text here[/url]
and that throws me off all the time, because I'm always having to remember context ("where am I?") when I'm typing.

I'll mention one other thing, for those who use the "URL" button (I rarely do: I type the bbCode tags manually): not all boards do the prompting dialog box. Some boards have a user setting to turn prompting OFF or ON, but I don't think phpBB does.

phpBB may not be the best board software, but it's free which is pretty neat. When I started this board (we just missed the anniversary: 26-Nov-2005), I didn't know how much use it would get, and some of the licensing agreements for other board software have you paying annually. You get more/other features with IPS or vBulletin, but you also pay more for them. There's a possibility that in future I might move to different software, but adding the ability to attach files and merging topics are the only two features I really want right now. The other issues are minor (like when you choose "New Topic", why don't they put the code in to automatically put the cursor in the Subject textbox??).

The code is open source, and I could modify it myself, but there's a catch: when I'd install an update, my changes would get wiped. There's a workaround for that, but overall I prefer to just live with the small issues.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

The popup box when you click the URL button is the part I noticed that was different. It is a nice feature for those who don't have BBCode memorized.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD