83 Nissan 4x4 conversion gas to diesel

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

othermeans

83 Nissan 4x4 conversion gas to diesel

Post by othermeans »

I hope I'm posting this in the correct section. I own an 83 Nissan 4x4 truck also a 4x4 Nissan Stanza Wagon. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they would need major alterations to put a diesel in either one? For example would the transmissions mate? What about starters, electrical etc. etc.? I've never done a conversion but I've done plenty of R&Rs.

What recommendations could anyone give me for engines? I'd like to keep it all in the family if you know what I mean.

My reason for doing this is because my wife and I travel to Central America and the price of diesel is substantially less than gas and just as plentiful. Not to mention the incredible mileage available.

Thanks for any help
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

There are at least two other Nissan SD diesel-into-gas 4x4 conversion threads current. You'll find plenty of info in them. There are gotchas. It can be, and has been, done.

Start with these threads:

720 Gas to Diesel Conversion Bits
My Turbo 4x4 build
Mounting the oil pickup for a SD22 swap into a 4x4 oil pan

I don't know a thing about the diesel-into-Stanza. I would hazard a guess that the CD17 (Sentra diesel, FWD) might (possibly) be a candidate there. Not too many CD17 owners here . . .
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
othermeans

Thanks

Post by othermeans »

Thanks for your help and providing such an informative forum.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I provide the forum; others (mostly) provide the informative part ;)
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

What engine is in the stanza?

CD17 is a easy replacement for a small CA engine, the transmission would require replacment and lots of other work if it has a E15/E16 or a GA engine. CD17 4X4 stanza/praire is sold in Europe i think it has a turbo option, I would look at getting a half cut as it would be left hand drive. The cost of importing a slightly damaged half cut will pay for it self during the conversion process.

I would look at a CD20 .a CD20T out a primera for power. It an older IP to a late model electric controled engine.

Don't know of a 4X4 compatible LD20 transmision, a KA series engine use the same pattern and castings but i think it would be an unlikly donor.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
othermeans

The motor is a 2.0 FI.

Post by othermeans »

I haven't seen a Nissan diesel up close so I really know nothing about the overall size.

I do know the 2.0 is a tight squeeze in the stanza though.