Well, I guess I smoked it...

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

neilm

Well, I guess I smoked it...

Post by neilm »

Split a radiator hose out in the desert.

Looks like I really did the job on the old SD22 - cracked head, scored cylinders.

Looking for a used replacement on the West coast, or close.

A guy out here in the LA area has a TD27 for sale.... but he won't guess about bolting it up to the old trans... Does anyone know?

Hate to junk it, or go to a gasser.

Neil
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

What are you looking for: an engine, or a truck?

If an engine, what year is your truck?
I have a whole '81 truck that could be available

[later edit: my truck is no longer a runner.]

-- I'm not giving it away, though. It's rough, rusty, high miles, but straight and driveable and has a title. It could be an engine donor or a fixer -- could go either way. In my opinion, it's going to clean up to be a good runner. For details, read this thread to the end. It is not as rusty as the passenger door makes it look, the floors are possibly OK (I have not been under it). It is 1300 mi. away from you. It could be driven that far, though you'd want a radio ;)

I could dolly it down your way at Christmas (probably the earliest time I'd be in your area) but it would probably cost as much to do that as for you to bus up and drive it back your way.
Last edited by asavage 16 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
bacho

Re: Well, I guess I smoked it...

Post by bacho »

neilm wrote:Split a radiator hose out in the desert.

Looks like I really did the job on the old SD22 - cracked head, scored cylinders.

Looking for a used replacement on the West coast, or close.

A guy out here in the LA area has a TD27 for sale.... but he won't guess about bolting it up to the old trans... Does anyone know?

Hate to junk it, or go to a gasser.

Neil
If you want to pull the motor I am in need of a dipstick and oil pan.
1992 nissan pathfinder 4x4
1985 KC 720 4x4
1982 KC 720
zolorin

Post by zolorin »

Is the crank pulley from the SD motor can be fitted in to the LD motor, if it is the case and you want to part out the motor then I am going to be interested in it.
260Z 2+2 with plans of diesel conversion (with a high compression gasoline engine)
2004 Kawasaki ZZR 600 (gas burner)
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

There are NO parts that interchange from the SD to the LD, with the exception of some nuts & bolts & clamps. They are completely different engines.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
neilm

Post by neilm »

I'm Looking for an engine... mine's an '83 KC, pretty clean & straight, Calif car originally. Good, working R-12 A/C. Clear, current New Mex title.

Are there any compatiblity issues between '81 and '83?

Actually, there's an '81 KC SD22 down here... it runs, sort of, but belches black and white smoke. Might be just as bad as my '83.

An outfit in MI quoted about $1000 for an overhaul kit... but I'd have to find a good head.

Maybe you should buy mine? ... <G> I don't really have the time, space, skills or $$ to work with it.

Neil
asavage wrote:What are you looking for: an engine, or a truck?

If an engine, what year is your truck?
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I need a fullsize truck, so I'm going to a larger truck and can't use my 720.
neilm

Post by neilm »

Yeah, I understand about the size of the truck..... mine's empty or parially full 90% of the time - but if it's inadequate 10% of the time... it's still inadequate.

Still trying to find out how hard to make a TD27 work in the 720..
asavage wrote:I need a fullsize truck, so I'm going to a larger truck and can't use my 720.
neilm

Post by neilm »

Al,
What happened to your truck?... Engine still run?
Neil
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

neilm wrote:What happened to your truck?... Engine still run?
See this post. I have toyed with the idea of pulling the pushrods and No. 4 piston, diverting the injection line to the return line, and running it as a genset engine as a three-cylinder, since the other three cyls are OK.
Regards,
Al S.

neilm

found a motor

Post by neilm »

Well, that guy in Florida has a motor.. trying to decide whether to gamble on it. Hate to see that nice, clean truck go to junk.

Neil
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

AJ's engines aren't US-spec. Bear that in mind if Indio is doing emissions testing. His engines are Japanese pulls, he can't tell you anything about them. I have had decidedly mixed success with "low mileage Japanese engines". People don't bother doing maintenance on cars that are are going for scrap in four years. Why bother changing the oil? Just keep oil in it, it'll run fine for the first 40k miles. You get the idea.

You money might be better invested in a piston/liner set and used head.
Regards,
Al S.

neilm

Yeah, that's the question....

Post by neilm »

Going the AJ 'longblock' route would cost less, but only if it's a good motor. No way to tell, really.. I asked him about doing a leakdown test, no reply.

I found a 'parts kit' to overhaul the mill for about $1000 from an outfit in MI.

"QUOTE

83 Datsun pickup
Engine: Nissan SD22 diesel
3-piston ring, automotive version

Engine Overhaul Kit $ 997.00
Includes: pistons, cylinder liners, piston rings, piston pins, piston pin retainers,
big end connecting rod bearings, main crankshaft bearings, thrust bearings,
camshaft bushings, piston pin/small end rod bushings,
complete engine gasket and seal kit, front crankshaft seal, rear crankshaft seal,

And there's a diesel guy out here who can do it.. I have another SD22, an '81, that can probable donate a head.

Just a matter of cubic dollars.

Neil
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

AJ seems to specialize in "no reply" if you ask a hard Q. He devotes his resources to the most possible sales. If you ask lots of Qs, you'll be less likely to buy, so he gives up on you. He also states in his auctions that he's too "lazy to take pictures of the exact engine he's offering, and SD22 is an SD22!"

He has that "some parts are missing" SD engine on eBay for $500 (no IP), has had it up for auction for a couple of months I think. If you could soften up the price a bit, it might be worth a gamble. You'd have to swap over many of your old parts though. Seems as though you are not doing your own work, and paying someone else gets real expensive for an older rig.
Regards,
Al S.