Parting out 1981 720 SD (Seattle area)

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

asavage
Site Admin

Parting out 1981 720 SD (Seattle area)

Post by asavage »

See next post: this truck is not for sale as a runner

I have no need for this truck, don't know why I bought it and am not interested in fixing it up. It's gotta find a new owner to love it.

Many more details, and fresh pictures at the end of this thread.

To make it into a brand-new truck it needs . . . a lot. Steering box, radio, tires, heater blower fix would be near the top of my list. It has low compression in No. 4 cylinder and blow-by. It doesn't smoke much after it's warmed up. It's rusty but not particulary dented. The cab is not too rusty, the pass door is pretty darned rusty and the battery box is very rusty, but other than that there is nothing structurally bad. There is rust-through on the passenger side floorboard, but the rockers seem solid.

But it runs & drives and can be used right now, as-is. Drives straight, stops straight. Most lights work. Doors lock. Does not smell bad/musty/smoky. Seats look funky and aren't bolted down as well as I'd like but aren't uncomfortable. Use it as a trash hauler, fixer-upper, parts donor, yard art, conversation starter. Running on commercial biodiesel now. New fuel filter and thermostat. See the above linked thread for other details.

At $500 this does not include the Interstate battery, but I will supply something battery-shaped and battery-like to get you home.

Frivolous inquires invited. Some spares available. Batteries not included. email asavage@iname.com

I will be listing this on CraigsList later this week.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Ran it hard up my favourite long, steep hill: No. 4 seized. Upon restart, it's now a three-cylinder, puking oil out the dipstick, etc.

So all parts are available from this one. I can't really pull the pan very easily though, so I don't think it's a good candidate for your oil pan, bacho, unless I've got to pull the engine for some reason, which I hope not to do at all, or for a good, long while. I've got your dipstick though.
  • DPC controller
  • IPC motor
  • Glow plugs
  • Glow plug controller
  • LR150 alternator & vac pump $30 with or without vac. pump. This is merely a "working, used" alternator. Do check out the fragile diode assy issue with these alternators in this thread:
    http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?t=799
    Also, Matt has (had?) one for sale, you might ask him about it:
    http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?t=885
  • SD 5-spd transmission
  • SD radiator
  • Injection pump $75. Seems to have no issues. I always recommend replacing the leather pneumatic governor diaphragm when you have the IP out, as access is better. See this thread:
    http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?t=183
  • SD injectors $15 ea, but I really think of them as cores. They
    were working "OK". One of them was leaking badly, and I replaced it
    with a random JY one. Long-term though, they should all be gone
    through.
  • Early fuel filter head and new filter :roll:
  • Early 720 ignition switch & lock w/matching door locks
  • SD22 head $60 if there is no damage to No. 4 combustion chamber.
  • Intake & Exhaust manifolds for your turbo project $30 for the pair, or $15 ea.
    Shipping is pretty bad for the cast iron. That's pretty much JY
    pricing for those around here, when I can get them.
  • Front corner markers are both un-cracked (how rare is that?)
  • Right taillight appears uncracked and whole. Left taillight is whole but does have a crack
  • Starter, Good direct-drive $30 Sounds quite good.
  • Dash, Very good, uncracked black dash
  • Front bumper black plastic endcaps are very good
  • Anything else that I can get off and ship without a lot of work
I am not going to warehouse this forever, so if you think you'll need a part that's on this truck, best to get it now, or buy the whole thing. If you pay fuel, I can probably tow it to your place -- it now smokes too badly to drive it any distance, I was embarrassed to limp it back to the shop and felt bad for the grandma following me.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

This truck has been sold.