Getting along with a diesel 720

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

philip
Deceased

Getting along with a diesel 720

Post by philip »

A brilliant bit of insight by "redmondjp"

"If you're used to driving high-revving 4-cylinder gas-powered rigs where you have to get up to 4K rpm before you get any power out, you need to seriously recalibrate yourself to drive this vehicle. Pace yourself. Take lots of deep breaths. Pause a moment to enjoy life. Turn off the stereo and practice meditation while you wait for the glow plug relay to 'thunk' off before starting. Shift early, shift often . . . enjoy the diesel's low-rpm torque. Don't worry, you'll still get there"
Last edited by philip 16 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
redmondjp

Post by redmondjp »

Thanks for the kind words, Philip!

I have found that driving one of these vehicles is a good road rage preventative, as you can't take advantage of power that you don't have! In my younger days I used to drive high-compression big-block cars that still had power to spare at over 100 mph--darn hard to drive cars like that without stepping into the pedal now and then, heh heh :twisted: . Single-digit fuel mileage on premium fuel with lead additive too--don't miss that.

The only time I really get mad while driving the 720 or the Rabbit is when I'm full-throttling up a hill at or near the speed limit to keep my momentum up (leaning forward in the seat helps too :wink: ), or taking full advantage of every last foot of a highway on-ramp, only to come up behind some idiot driving a 300hp car/truck/SUV at wayyyyyy under the speed limit for no good reason and I have to slow down 10-15 mph--grrr!
1982 Datsun 720 King Cab, SD22, 86K miles (sold)
1981 Rabbit LS 4-door, 1.6D, 130K miles (sold)
1996 Passat TDI 4-door sedan, 197K miles
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

redmondjp wrote:Thanks for the kind words, Philip!
A gem is a gem!

From my years of driving OTR, I learned strategic positioning and timing in traffic, especially important when overtaking other trucks on grades. Yeah, -momentum- is relinquished only as a last resort.

I believe it helps to communicate a sense of humor to anxious followers.

-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

plenzen

Post by plenzen »

The absolute best thing about owning one of these little beasties is that if someone steals it you can catch them on foot!!!

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

Paul: I CAN fix that. :wink:
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

plenzen

Post by plenzen »

I can too. I know where there is an LS6 with a 6 spd and a Winters QC that will do just nicely. But then I would miss that fine coating of black soot on everything that is in the garage.

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN