Fuel Additives for Different Occasions

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

philip
Deceased

Fuel Additives for Different Occasions

Post by philip »

Take your pick, fuel additive choices for diesel fuel have always been controversial.

Sometimes the need is faster & clearner combustion (cetane improver).

Sometimes the need is to prevent or liquify gelled fuel (anti-gell agent).

Sometimes conditions encourage algae growth so a (biocide) is needed.

And of course with older diesels running the new 15ppm Ultr Low Sulfur Diesel fuel, replacing lost lubricity is a concern (lubricity agent).

I've tried a few fuel additves before replacing my fuel injectors. As you can see, none of them actually removed the hardest coke deposits from the nozzle and pintle ... the most critical locations. But those products with "cetane improver" did affect combustion behavior.

My favorites because they do not raise fuel cetane number...

Image Image
Last edited by philip 17 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
oak4000

tranny fluid

Post by oak4000 »

Have you ever heard or expermented with tranny fluid or power steering fluid? I have heard from like 2 people that ATF is good for cleaning injectors when added to the fuel. I've done it 1-2 times and it seemed to run a little less smokey, but noticed that when I added 2 quarts it would die every now and again when I came to a stop light after getting off the freeway. Any clues if it helps or is destructive ;)
philip
Deceased

Re: tranny fluid

Post by philip »

I knew of that ol mechanics' tale years (decades) ago. Nobody endorsing ATF -ever- pulled an injector before and after to verify injector cleaning as claimed.

In my 720, all ATF ever did was change the exhaust aroma a little and markedly -reduce- MPG.

{I should mention that used motor oils (aka: "home heating oil") have a little higher BTU (est 150,000) than #2 diesel and that I never attempted optimizing injection timing for a diesel fuel/used oil drainings blend. }
Last edited by philip 17 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

zen

Post by zen »

quite honestly..the only sure fire way of cleaning injectors is to up them...if these cures worked then all the pump shops would be out of work..
turbo it

(sd33t home turbo set up if anyone is interested..)
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

zen wrote:quite honestly..the only sure fire way of cleaning injectors is to up them...if these cures worked then all the pump shops would be out of work..
What is meant by "...to up them..." ???

Common language failing us again? LOL
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

oak4000

tanny fluid

Post by oak4000 »

yeah i didn't notice the mpg drop but i did notice the exhaust smell, the power of suggestion on the human mind could be working against me but it seemed a little peppy'er, though when i noticed it i was mixxing motor oil, tranny fluid and hydrolic fluid all together then into the tank was misc. fluids laying around mixed up to about half a gallon or so lol ;)
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

philip wrote: What is meant by "...to up them..." ???

Common language failing us again? LOL
It means to pull em out and have a injector shop clean them the right way
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
ecomike

Post by ecomike »

Been using Power Service Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost with SlickDiesel for about 4 years now. The bottle I just picked up today says "ULSD Formula"!

Something new!
Regards,

Mike

1985 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer, 2WD, retrofitted with SD-22 & 5 spd manual trans, a 4X4 Gas Wagoneer ltd. (XJ) Jeep, 4.0 L w/ AW4 auto, and now 2 spare 2wd Jeeps, 87 & 89.
oak4000

ok a slight off topic but still fits

Post by oak4000 »

what can be put in diesel that won't hurt it and still burn, i have the line on some free atf/hydrolic/10w machine oil/standard clean unused engine oil. was thinking of mixing one or all of these at like a 25% to standard or high sulfar ( was considering the high but don't want to risk ticket)
the engine oil is usually by itself but the rest would be a blend of all three (run off from emptying tank) but you think folks would any of those cause ill fate to the little diesel, or what ratio of mix would be safest to run cause want to save a little on the refuels
thanks a bunch for any insight
82 sd22, n/a for the time, 5 speed, 250k, standard cab, 2wd