Can I install an SD Diesel instead of a Gas motor?

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

matt_lazok

Can I install an SD Diesel instead of a Gas motor?

Post by matt_lazok »

I bought a 1982 Datsun/Nissan and it had no engine, since it overheated. I would like to install an SD Diesel instead of a Gas motor. How many things do I need to change, (tranny, etc,) and where do I find a new or rebuilt Diesel?

I need a link to a new motor, the price for it or info on adding one to my truck. Any help would be great! Please e-mail me your info if you don't mind - I really don't like cruisin around the net anymore than I have to!

thanks

Engineless 720

matt_lazok@yahoo.com
Thanks, e-mail me at matt_lazok@yahoo.com
asavage
Site Admin

Re: I need a rebuit diesel SD Engine and info

Post by asavage »

Welcome, Matt:
matt_lazok wrote: How many things do I need to change, (tranny, etc,) . . .
I'm doing a similar conversion, see a list of things that need to be changed in the first post of this thread.

If you search this site, you will find a couple of folks have done this conversion.
Please e-mail me your info if you don't mind - I really don't like cruisin around the net anymore than I have to!
That won't happen. This is an online community, the purpose of which is to share knowledge. If you get your help privately, nobody else gets to share.

I suggest you do some research here. While I don't know if you'll find links to rebuilt or new SD engines, you will definitely find which vendors to avoid for "low mileage diesel engines".
Last edited by asavage 16 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
matt_lazok

Thank you sir

Post by matt_lazok »

I'm new to this - so sorry if I didn't do things right. I have since decided to purchase a gas engine, new (which means rebuilt) and would like info on that.

Do you know of a shared news site (whatever you call this forum) where I can get links to purchasing a good gas engine?

Thanks
Thanks, e-mail me at matt_lazok@yahoo.com
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

We are all new at some point, no need to apologize.

I would hesitate to recommend an online source for a rebuilt engine. I prefer to source rebuilt engines locally, where I have a ghost a chance to obtain real warranty coverage in the all-too-likely event that a problem occurs. I am appalled by the general quality of rebuilt long blocks, whcih is why I go with used engines in general: the value of these old vehicles seldom warrants the expense of a new engine.

Perhaps someone else reading this will jump in with a recommended vendor or link, but this is, after all, a site catering to Nissan diesels; any gasser info is incidental. There is an MSN Group for 720 pickups and they might be more helpful; I'm sure Google can help you find them (I won't link to them from here). Finally, there are a number of national and regional Datsun/Nissan sites where buying/selling sometimes occurs.

Good luck!
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.