Marine LD28s

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

asavage
Site Admin

Marine LD28s

Post by asavage »

Richard ("S. Novossiltzeff") recently emailed me with this:
Well, what can I say. I saw you site and it's great, congratulations! Marine and auto LD28s finally meet.

The marine version engine is fitted to many Albin 27 powerboats built
between 1983 and 1992-3 and all are satisfied with it, so far (see photo attached). The AC version is an aft cabin version used by those who cruise mainly with a family, the SC or sport cruiser is mostly used as a day boat or a fishing boat which I do. I belong to a web group of "Albineers" on yahoo that have many interests in the engine that are usually 20+ years old as you know. They always come up with some technical questions on some item concerning the engine, one of which are availability on parts - usually from Jesco, and some info on performance such as the curves you have on your site.

As a matter of fact, one guy is selling off his engine after some troubles (which ones I don't know?), are you interested?

I have tried to contact ANY main Nissan outfit on the web with no results, not even a word of regret, just a big void in space in order to get ANY info on the engine! It's interesting to note that no LD20's are found on those boats. If you're interested, I can get you the service manual of the Marine version which includes a heat exchanger that cools the fresh water system - no fan or radiator on this one!

Cheers
Richard

Thanks for the pictures, Richard! We don't get to see much of the LD28 in other than Maxima dress ;)

I'd love to have a service manual for the Marine version; just let me know where to send funds.

For service tips not found in the manual, you might look at some of the sections of the FAQ, specifically the sections on IP Belt breakage, which isn't a well-known topic.
Last edited by asavage 17 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
fud2468

Post by fud2468 »

Great to hear about the marine use!
In the process of going to several other sites to try to get LD28 information before I found this one, I found TheDieselStop.com
One poster said that the LD28 was used in industrial applications such as forklifts and loaders, and another poster suggested the engine was an industrial unit before it was placed in vehicles.
On another site (can't remember which one now) it was mentioned the industrial LD28 had a slightly lower compression ratio and was rated for 45 continuous hp.
Ray Mac
J. Slocum

Another Albin 27 LD28 Trawler

Post by J. Slocum »

Thanks to Richard N. in Nova Scotia for finding this site. :D :o
There are many 100's of 1980's-early 90's 27' Albin trawlers cruising worldwide. Then a few 100 with the Nissan LD28 engine (guessing :( ).
Spares for cruising--repairs and maintenance--are always a problem.
We get them when a LD28 dies , really dead, then the owner re-powers (Yanmar seems to be the choice) and sells off or junks the old engine.
So: tell us your parts availability, or sources for new or rebuilt ones.
One thing we don't have is space to work on the beast! :(
Thanks.
aaron MV Adagio 1986 Albin 27 Aft Cabin Cape Rosier, Maine
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

Great post, glad to see some of the other applications for this motor!

I would also be interested to hear what troubles the individual encountered that caused him to replace his LD28 with something else.

steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
John Bain

Post by John Bain »

Those interested in a marine operators manual, parts & general information on use in Albin boats should check out
http://albincruisers.blogspot.com/
John Bain
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

John Bain wrote:Those interested in a marine operators manual, parts & general information on use in Albin boats should check out
http://albincruisers.blogspot.com/
John Bain
The Nissan Full Service Manual for 810/910/Maxima has been the most important item for living with the LD28 engine. Fortunately there seem to be a lot making their way to Ebay right now, and at a very reasonable cost.

Granted, the complete manual would not be suitable for marine application but the section on the LD28 could be really helpful. Also, the fact that these engines were fitted to automobiles makes parts acquisition somewhat easier, since Napa, CarQuest and other auto parts stores carry general line items for the LD28. It would be a matter of knowing which items are the same and which are different for marine application.

For instance, I noticed on your site the cost of new glow plugs was quite expensive whereas through standard auto parts retailers the parts are a bit more reasonable.

regards,
Steve A
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

Some old Komatsu's have ld28s but the newer ones have that other nissan diesel.
TheDieseliminator

Post by TheDieseliminator »

Hi HowlerMonkey and welcome to the site. Are you talking about Komatsu machinery as in land equipment? If so, that's interesting that they had LD28s as powerplants.

Salvy
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

More Albin pics, from an eBay listing
Type: Cruiser (Power)
Use: Salt Water
Make: Albin
Engine Type: Single Inboard/Outboard
Model: albin27 family cruis
Engine Make: Nissan
Year: 1987
Engine Model: 6cyl nissan
Length (Feet): 27.0
Primary Fuel Type: Diesel
Beam (Feet): 9.5
Fuel Capacity (Gallons): 51-75
Hull Material: Fiberglass
Hull Identification Number: AUL27359H687

I am the second owner of this Albin 27 family cruiser. I have owned this boat since 2001. (had 1300 hours on the boat) The boat was meticulously maintained by the first owner and I continued the same maintenance. The boat is presently in good condition, with approximately 1550 hours. The 78 HP diesel, starts and runs easily. The usually yearly maintenance of fluid changes( oil and diesel) have been done, as well as the repacking of the stuffing box. The following items have been replaced since I have owned the boat, alternator, starter, belts, thermostat, raw water pump, impeller, all cooling hoses, exhaust riser. The cutlass bearing and propellar were balanced in 2001.

The cruiser sleeps 4 has a sink, propane stove, hot water heater(with new fresh water circulating pump) . . .
Image Image Image Image
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

I wonder if the marine LD 28 have the bypass filter like the 83 cars? I can see the oil cooler in the pic, but that is about it.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD