My Turbo 4x4 build

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

bacho

Post by bacho »

You will have to swap the bell housing as you said, I just had a transmission shop do it with a rebuild for around $350.

No new drive shafts needed

The motor mounts will not work. Its a fairly simple mod you have to do to them. Simply cut the bolt off of them and grind it smooth. Then you just weld a plate to it and put a new bolt in the appropriate spot.

The biggest deal by far is the oil pan, I ended up welding the z24 pan to the sd22 bolt patter area. Its not the best looking deal but I did that on the second try and I was way to pissed about having to do it again than think of something that would look great. Just clean up the pans as good as you can and measure twice.
1992 nissan pathfinder 4x4
1985 KC 720 4x4
1982 KC 720
bacho

Post by bacho »

The build will make some more progress. I am having some problems with the truck being pretty much revved out at 70mph, the highest comfortable cruise is really about 55 at far at the sound of the motor goes. I have 4.10 diffs and 31" tires, I wanted to re-gear the diffs but I cant get a taller gear in the front diff or anything more out of toyota axles. So the plan is to put bigger tires on it.

I also picked up an ARB air locker for the rear diff, not that I really needed or wanted one but a guy wanted my tranny and it was all he had to give me for it.

On a side note, I nearly flipped the 720 today. When I leave my house there is a stop sign 20 feet from my driveway and then a long straight with a 35mph curve a the end of it. I go around this curve like normal at 45-50 and nearly lost control of the truck, scared the crap out of me. Pulled over and the right rear tire was completely out of air but since the truck is so light that the sidewalls held it up at a stand still so it really wasn't so noticeable.
1985 KC 720 4x4
1982 KC 720
phoneinstaller

oil pan for sd 22 4x4

Post by phoneinstaller »

what did you do about the oil pump pick up line
81 datsun diesel 2wd K/C
81 datsun diesel 2wd k/c
86.5 hard body 4X4 K/C For sale
85 720 k/c 4X4
I have 2 81 trucks
TruckA

Post by TruckA »

I'm curious too about your oil lines, particularly if you know the fitting sizes on the threads coming out of the block and going into the back of the alternator. I need to figure out some AN or hard line setup to handle the oil pressure. I'm planning on setting mine up with by running an oil line from the block to the turbo oil feed, then from the turbo oil drain side to the alternator. In the picture below, you have it set up a different way. I'd guess that you have a new line from the block to the alternator and you put in the tee to the turbo oil feed, but I'm not sure about what you did with your drain line.

Here's Galen's setup showing the oil lines,
1984 Nissan 720 4x4 gasser converted to SD22 diesel power, now with boost
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS daily driver
1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max Turbo for fun -Sold-
Raleigh, NC
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

TruckA wrote:I'm curious too about your oil lines, particularly if you know the fitting sizes on the threads coming out of the block and going into the back of the alternator. -SNIP-
There is no oil to or by the "alternator."

The oil / air vacuum pump for the brake booster is driven by the alternator.

-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
phoneinstaller

Post by phoneinstaller »

I was asking about the oil pan and oil pump for the 4X4 part of the add.
I want to put my engine into a 4X4 truck looking for a oil pan or how to make one for the sd 22 4X4. I here that datsun shipped them to Australia
in the 720 truck dont know if that oil pan would work.
81 datsun diesel 2wd K/C
81 datsun diesel 2wd k/c
85 720 k/c 4X4
I have 2 81 trucks
phoneinstaller

Post by phoneinstaller »

I was asking about the oil pan and oil pump for the 4X4 part of the add.
I want to put my engine into a 4X4 truck looking for a oil pan or how to make one for the sd 22 4X4. I here that datsun shipped them to Australia
in the 720 truck dont know if that oil pan would work.
81 datsun diesel 2wd K/C
81 datsun diesel 2wd k/c
85 720 k/c 4X4
I have 2 81 trucks
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Philip, let's not split hairs ;)

Philip, do you want to go find the pics of the 4WD oil pan mod from the other forum? Without a Search feature there, it would take me an hour, and I don't really want to. Or, send phoneinstaller there.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

PULeeeze! Split hairs and hairballs are in the same arena. :wink:

SD22 oil pan FITTING to Nissan 720 4x4

Took 2-1/2 minutes. Hahhahaa
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

phoneinstaller

oil pan

Post by phoneinstaller »

Thank you Philip and Asavage
that is whit i am looking for.Now i just need to find a sd 22 oil pan to cut up.
81 datsun diesel 2wd K/C
81 datsun diesel 2wd k/c
85 720 k/c 4X4
I have 2 81 trucks
philip
Deceased

Re: oil pan

Post by philip »

phoneinstaller wrote:-SNIP-.Now i just need to find a sd 22 oil pan to cut up.
There's still a NEW SD22 pan ... and waaay reduced price.

http://www.oem-surplus.com/nwp/720truck1.htm

Email them.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

phoneinstaller

Post by phoneinstaller »

I sent them a email and thay told me they were out of them i was asking about the price
I do not know if they update the site but i will ask again
81 datsun diesel 2wd K/C
81 datsun diesel 2wd k/c
85 720 k/c 4X4
I have 2 81 trucks
TruckA

Post by TruckA »

philip wrote:
TruckA wrote:I'm curious too about your oil lines, particularly if you know the fitting sizes on the threads coming out of the block and going into the back of the alternator. -SNIP-
There is no oil to or by the "alternator."

The oil / air vacuum pump for the brake booster is driven by the alternator.
Yeah yeah yeah, I was too lazy to look up the name of the part where the oil line ran to, but thanks for keeping me in line. Anyone happen to know the size of the fittings of on that line though, if not, I'll take it back off and see if one of the local stores have something that may work. Thanks for putting those pictures up though, I hadn't come across those yet that show exactly where oil lines are running for a turbo install.
1984 Nissan 720 4x4 gasser converted to SD22 diesel power, now with boost
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS daily driver
1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max Turbo for fun -Sold-
Raleigh, NC
bacho

Post by bacho »

Sorry, I havent been around for a while. IIRC those fittings were 1/8 BSP thread, I ended up taking them to a hose shop and had -3 JIC flares welded onto them. Then I used some -3 fittings and hose I had around the shop. It worked OK.

For the drain I some some 1/2" (think) stainless tubing and made a y fitting from it. I then cut the drain for the vaccum pump into 2 piece and threw that y into there and had another hose come from the bottom of the turbo to it.

I got another oil pan from another member here, I still have it at the moment.
1985 KC 720 4x4
1982 KC 720
abumariah

oil pump

Post by abumariah »

i'm doing the 4x4 conversion too, and i'm going to have to get a shop to fabricate my oil pans for me.

could you describe for me how you worked around the oil pump difference between the two engines?

thanks, jeremy