WTB: Diesel Maxima

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Ben, I guess I should probably offer what I can as well.

I don't really need both Wagons. I acquired Myrna's '83 Wagon for the transmission, really. It turns out to run out surprisingly well though.

For the gory details, see this thread.

It is coming along nicely. It will need brake work (I have acquired some of the parts; I assume the rear wheel cyls are leaking, as the reservoir was empty) but can be driven as-is without too much worry -- it's not out of friction material and does not pull. It is dry inside and has none of the mold that is common to our PNW cars, because until Feb it lived in the dry eastern side of the Cascades. Dash is cracked but I have perfect replacements. RF fender is folded in at quarter panel area -- and rusty -- but again I have replacement. Paint has been repainted in at least two areas, the match is pretty darned good other than the driver's door, but is crazing on the hood. Needs a valve cover gasket desperately. Runs pretty well, doesn't start terribly well right now, and it does smack of two glow plugs out. Steering rack leaks and the boots are both shot -- I have a replacement reman rack from an eBayer that has a frozen inner tie rod end, and I don't know if I'm going to end up keeping it or not -- we (PayPal, Seller, and I) are still in negotiation on this -- but reman racks go for $80-100 on eBay regularly, no problem. What else? Pass seat belt dirty. I've cleaned up the grease on the rear seat and headrest to nearly undetectable. Minor soda stains on rear carpet. Trans shifts fine, including OD. Tires OK. Just acquired a set of Sedan factory alloys for it, with lug nuts but without center caps (I think they're still available from Nissan) that would go with the Wagon -- tires on them are not to be trusted. All lights work, radio plays well but volume pot is noisy (crackle crackle) -- needs to be worked, but does play well. No idea on the cassette deck. Power antenna is stuck in "up" position. A/C compressor runs but although some temp differentia can be felt on the lines under the hood, I don't think it's cooling much. However, it is functional so the usual reseal and recharge (with R-12 is my recommendation) would fix it, not some expensive component replacement. Will need the usual door crack fix like all Gen1 Maximas, I'm sure: the driver's door has the usual rattle that indicates it's ready for reinforcement.

Like any LD28 with unknown maint. history, the IP belt should be replaced, and preferably the belt tensioner too. Coolant needs changing, engine oil needs changing. Alignment after new PS rack of course. Can be driven as-is for a while. It's a project - more like a fixer -- but a driver/driveable project.

If you can find me another diesel L4N71B, and get it to me, I'd sell this Wagon -- I do not want to part out a Wagon that drives this well. Considering what I have into it -- $650 would pry it out of my hands. That may sound like a lot for a vehicle that I received for "free", but my true costs are pretty darned close to that price, without exaggeration. With the addition of an IP belt, coolant change, oil change, and perhaps a couple of GPs (that I have) for cold starts, I would feel comfortable driving it on a long trip. Maybe a fuel filter change too, I don't know how long it's been. Fly out, drive back, or whatever. But you have to find me another diesel L4N71B too, that's part of the deal.

That said, you could probably find similar or better if you search and wait -- they're around. But I thought I'd throw this out there -- I don't need two wagons, I only need a L4N71B. Also, most folks selling their 20+ yr old car won't be as forthcoming about its shortcomings -- I specialize in Full Disclosure, no surprises, because in the long run there is no advantage, in the full cycle of things, to deceipt.

More up-to-date pictures can be taken if you're interested, but the initial pics in the thread linked above are pretty accurate -- I've just done a bunch of cleaning etc. It could stand more, but who has the time?
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

I just can't believe you're selling Myrna already... :cry:

steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
skinnerkate

Post by skinnerkate »

Hey there Ben,

Just a couple more notes that I didn't mention in the PM I sent you (did you get it?)

The AC and the cruise control don't work. Also, the emergency brake doesn't work, though Ken says the mechanism is all there --just needs attention. And the winshield washer fluid container doesn't hold fluid. That's all I can think of at the moment.

--kate.
Diesels in the stable:
'83 Maxima
'92 Dodge
'86 Mercury
'83 Oldsmobile
'86 Isuzu
'83 Mercedes
and once had a great '80 Scout II
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

glenlloyd wrote:I just can't believe you're selling Myrna already... :cry:
I have limited resources for this hobby. I want to keep the engine from the '82 Wagon, as I've owned it forever. I really only want the transmission from the '83, but the car is too complete and decent to part out. I don't really expect that it will sell at the level I've set it, but if someone has to have it, I would love for it to go to a new home, and I will supply all the help I can to keep it on the road.

The big hang up is finding another diesel L4N71B.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

asavage wrote:The big hang up is finding another diesel L4N71B.
Exactly.

I will cetainly put your wagon on my list Al, but that trans is not easy to come by.

I would like to find something closer, but we'll see what happens. I'm not in a hurry.

Thanks for the offer.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

http://www.car-part.com lists two, Texas & Wisconsin. $175 & $300. One other in Georgia. They're around, just not around *here*.
Regards,
Al S.