WTB LD or SD

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

jag7720 wrote:So I take it that when you rebuild a diesel you don't bore it 40 over... but you replace the sleeve?
It's not that you can't bore it oversize -- there's a thread where I found a supply of O/S SD pistons & rings -- but that it's cheap to re-liner it and fit std pistons & rings.

Now that I have a boring head for my mill/drill, I'm making up ways to use it. With a quill stroke of only 5", I can't quite bore an SD with this setup though.

I didn't know the VG30-into-510 thing was so common as there is a kit for it, it just looked wild to me :)

Kassim: you will need to seriously address the braking situation if you go the SBC route. The 910 platform (Gen1) have really marginal brakes, IMO. I mean the front brakes.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

US$1200 is cheep for a good running engine.the only cheep place to buy this type of engine or parts is japan or new zealand.japan can be hard to deal with.

old type LD20 you use 510 sump and pickup,engine mounts.its a snack engine swap.

LD28 pistons may have a different piston pin location.the LD20 is a taller engine block.

2 setups for the ld20 starter.the common the solinoid hangs out the side-this should be ok with left hand drive.FWD ld20 and RHD LD20 the solinoid is close to the engine block.

i recomend a turbo as the induction noise is ok.the LD will rev like a petrol engine unlike the SD/TD engines.

dont forget the CD20 engines.

Rover V8 fit nice easy into the 910/maxima.also the holden[chevlike] engines.i see the [rover based]holden-buick 3.8 being fitted to the 4 cyl bluebird.
http://www.geocities.com/davehoos/aron.html
there is no substitute for a RB30ET.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
jag7720

Post by jag7720 »

davehoos ... Do you have any Aus sources on the LD20T? Are you near Brisbane?

Is there anyone in NZ or Aus that would be willing to export an LD20T to the US?
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Jag, where are you?

I am importing some mere piston/liner sets: you should see the paperwork! I have a DOT form in front of me that you should read before you think about self-importing:

US DOT --- DECLARATION ---, OMB No. 2127-0002
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
jag7720

Post by jag7720 »

I am in the middle of the country.... Kansas City to be exact.

I wish I could find an LD20T locally.

Actually, I have in-laws in Brisbane I thought that I could buy just a turbo and exhaust manifold and have them carry it home on the plane... save me a lot in shipping.

Then I could work on getting the engine and if that never happens I would at least have a L series 4 cylinder turbo that I could use on my gasser.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

IMPORT parts to USA.

Im 2 hrs north of sydney.brisbane-there should be engines in this area.parts are shipped from NZ to brisbane easily.south australia is also a good source.
there are very few of these around this area.i have one 910 LD20T thats been sitting in a shed.it has an auto fitted to it.and a Ld20II.i got a gasket set years ago.

in new zealand these are common.they ship items around NZ as a norm.look at trade me for price range.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO-
do some door knocking,find a shipping agent in the USA.some companies will combine loads to cut costs.and you want to pay for the frieght at your end.look at a cubic meter.

i was thinking of going to south island at easter.
jag7720

Post by jag7720 »

I talked to Andrew at Rolin Automotive Imports in Gold Coast

He quoted me

$1850 AUD for the engine and $550 AUD for shipping.

This is what they said...

"All our engines are fully tested and run on a radiator up to full operating
temperature before being sold. This includes compression tests and leak down tests on every cylinder."

Jason
jag7720

Post by jag7720 »

davehoos,

What is your impression of the LD20T? How does it drive.
I don't know what a 910 is. How big is that car compared to a 510/1600?

Can the LD20T be improved and gain some performance?
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

910 is a 80-85 4 cyl version of the maxima these are sold with different size engines from 1600 to 2000.
australian bluebird 910 is around 1100-1400 KG.kerb.

the old LD20T is is a truck engine,similar performance to a stock L20B.with lots more tourque feel[it probably less but].I ran a 3.5:1 with 15 in rims with no loss of performance over a L20B,the CA20S 910 blows it away.
the LD20II is a moden version and runs better,it suits a 4:1,4.3:1.i found reducing engine speed increaed fuel use.
LD23 is sold in europe-it has good service in england.made in spain?.
CD20 is a light wieght modern car engine.

this means if you had an empty car and drove normally up to 50-60 mph it should be similar to a petrol car.i found in city traffic it goes very good.however a diesel produces power differently so it has lots more at low speeds when the cars loaded,and its not interested in high rpm stuff.with a manual trans drivers tend to rev the engine till the power curve drops then change gears-with the diesel you squeze the thottle until it gets to a speed then you swap gears-at low revs it will pull.with the auto you rev the engine and the car gets faster like a rubber band.

i had a few in different 910 then and a skyline wagon and a P76.it drove ok up to 80 mph.
i had a CD20 auto in the skyline and it weighed 1280 kg.it would do 155KM/H on level ground,but was slow to get to speeds above 50-MPH.it wasnt good on fuel about 12.5 KM/L but it destroyed 4 intake valves-i have no idea how long they was faulty.it was a low km engine.it would rev like a petrol with a big flywheel.a turbo would be magic.

i replaced the cd20 with the LD20T auto then a RD28 manual.ld20T is rated at the same level as a LD28,the turbo gives it a different feel.it comes on song at high engine loads.

the old LD20T is a no brain conversion.the LD20TII is for thinkers with time and CD20 is for experts.remember that non of these will have parts back up.

LD20T performace up grade.how long is a piece of string.
i recently saw cyl heads for sale,this is a problem if you are going silly with engine upgrades.
roxy

Post by roxy »

I am trying to help a friend w/o internet peddle two SD22 engines. He is a diesel mechanic/heavy equipment operator and says both these trucks ran when parked. The bodies are toast but the engines need a good home. One has app. 12oK the other has app. 48K. Both are 2.2L 4cyl diesels. Plan to post pics as soon as I get over there and take them and then the challenge of figuring out how to post them.
TheDieseliminator

Post by TheDieseliminator »

Hi roxy, any update on the trucks and/or engines? Where exactly are you guys located on the east coast? Thanks for your reply.
1982 Datsun Maxima diesel wagon w/ 228k miles
*occasional daily driver*

1982 Datsun Maxima diesel sedan w/ 252k miles
*now off the road as a parts car and sent to the yard :( *
roxy

datsun diesel engines

Post by roxy »

The engines r still avaiable. The owner is currently out of commision, and will be for several weeks so the project is on hold for now. It looks like we r about 5 hours from you.
I M a retired 'DieselFitter' who used to work in a pantyhose factory. I was a QC manager who decided whether or not "DieselFitter".