It lives! The Datsun runs again!

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

atalamark

It lives! The Datsun runs again!

Post by atalamark »

Well folks I finally had the combination of time/non rainy weather/and money to get around to putting the car back together. A long story short: it runs great!

For the record: I DID NOT replace the tensioner, for reasons of economics firstly, but, I did take it out and noted that it worked smoothly and didn't make any bad noises.
I only had to replace the V-belt because the old one was shot, and then put everything back together and bought a new battery and bam! The car runs/drives great!

I did find out that the oil and trasmission fluid were both so low that they barely showed up on the dipstick. Apparently the previous owner was not up on routine maintenance! At this point I would only need to adjust the valves ( I have a gasket, need the tool) and change the oil and filter and I've done all the maintence I should need to do for the engine for awhile.

So, now I have two cars and my wife and I need to decide which one to keep. My Mercedes has been good to me and we've been leaning towards selling the Datsun but there is something about the Datsun that really charms me........so we'll see.....

Thanks for all the help, and, if I keep the car I'm sure you'll hear more from me!!

Mark E. Kaylor in Portland, Oregon
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Congrats! The world is now slightly better. <g>

I think you'll find the Max gets better mileage than the 'Benz, but it doesn't have as good ergonomics.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon