Turbo SD22 and fuel economy

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

85_720

Turbo SD22 and fuel economy

Post by 85_720 »

Are you guys who are turboing the sd22's getting increased fuel economy, in addition to increased power?

-jon
TruckA

Post by TruckA »

Not yet really, I think mine is doing pretty poorly. Only 20-22 mpg, it was like this before adding the turbo though. I need to do some more tuning when time allows it.
1984 Nissan 720 4x4 gasser converted to SD22 diesel power, now with boost
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS daily driver
1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max Turbo for fun -Sold-
Raleigh, NC
85_720

Post by 85_720 »

that sucks. my beat up old z24 does about that well, I suppose it is all how you lay your foot on the gas, however.

maybe it would be good to qualify with a brief statement about how heavy your right foot is... Mine is pretty light, and in a truck, I am rarely in a hurry.
TruckA

Post by TruckA »

My foot is pretty heavy with the slow SD22.
1984 Nissan 720 4x4 gasser converted to SD22 diesel power, now with boost
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS daily driver
1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max Turbo for fun -Sold-
Raleigh, NC
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

Interesting that you fellas are getting such poor mileage. There must be something rather off to cause that. I get about 40MPG Imperial which translates to about 32 MPG US. At 20 - 22 MPG you might as well be driving v-6 gassers and have the extra power/performance plus the advantage of gas being somewhat less than diesel. Something's seriously wrong somewhere, I would think...

N_R
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Nissan_Ranger wrote:Interesting that you fellas are getting such poor mileage. There must be something rather off to cause that.
It seems likely. Lifted = less aerodynamic (in general), larger tires = increased rolling resistance, add the lift and you have the possibility of non-optimum alignment of the front Lifts also make the u-joints work at an increased angle, losing efficiency. And the 4WD parts are probably ~300 extra pounds to drag around than the 2WD version: like carrying a fat passenger around all the time, only without the scintillating conversation ;)

I'm just tossing some variables out there.
jtamulonis

Fuel milage

Post by jtamulonis »

I`ve got a cn4/33 aka sd22 that I turbo`d back in `78 in a `71 vega station wagon, I get 37-39 mpg in town and short trips. it gets 48-50 mpg on long trips on the freeway, from palm springs to pheonix . It has 2.72 gears in the rear end and a 5 speed O/D trans from a nissan pick up that I stuck in back in `86 it runs great. It has over 350,000 miles and was getting tuckered, so I`m putting in .020 over pistons , new valves and a smaller exhaust housing for a tad more and quicker boost. It would only get 7 lb boost before, I`m hoping for 10 lbs or so when I get`er back together. I`ll let you all know when I get`er DUN! :D :D :D
`71 vega sta/wagon w/ sd22 ,5spd, turbo`ed, 50 mpg highway, 38 mpg city. swap done 1976. `70 chev suburban 3/4 ton 4x4,#60 front 14 bolt rear, power loc ft., detrtoit locker rear, 3.73s, 35" tires, brayden lu4 pto winch, 8.2 detroit v8 turbo fuelpincher diesel, allison 2400 5 spd . `94 suburban 1/2 ton 4x4, `92 5.9 cummins 12v, 47rh, 3.42s.
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

Have you got any pictures of the powerplant you can post?

N_R
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
jtamulonis

pics of sd22

Post by jtamulonis »

I`ve never taken any pics of the engine. I`ll take some of the engine as it is now torn down waiting to be bored and as I reassemble it. I`ll post`em later. 8) 8) 8)
`71 vega sta/wagon w/ sd22 ,5spd, turbo`ed, 50 mpg highway, 38 mpg city. swap done 1976. `70 chev suburban 3/4 ton 4x4,#60 front 14 bolt rear, power loc ft., detrtoit locker rear, 3.73s, 35" tires, brayden lu4 pto winch, 8.2 detroit v8 turbo fuelpincher diesel, allison 2400 5 spd . `94 suburban 1/2 ton 4x4, `92 5.9 cummins 12v, 47rh, 3.42s.
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

Sounds good. I am especially interested in how the turbo is mounted. I have a nice lil turbo I'm thinking of applying...

N_R