WTB: LD28 Alt, M/T Flywheel, T-stat Housing & Starter

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

gregthespy

WTB: LD28 Alt, M/T Flywheel, T-stat Housing & Starter

Post by gregthespy »

As the title says, I am looking for the following for an LD28:

An alternator, A manual transmission flywheel, a starter, water pump pulley and idler pulley.
I am a little unsure of the t-stat housing, as I would think they may cross over from a gasser, but appear to be diffrent. Although I need the lower half that bolts up to the block as well as the water neck portion.

Shoot me a price of what you are looking to get if you are willing to part with these items.

You can PM me or email me direct at gregthespy at hotmail dot com

Thanks for any help!
Greg Roll
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I can help only with the starter & alternator . . . for anyone else, I am down to ONE of each, no more spares.

I have one LD28 alternator, no vacuum pump, untested, which I bought as a complete core. It might work, it might not. $35 as-is and warranteed to be rebuildable; $90 with new diodes and brushes; $115 with that plus bearings. Bad diodes are the No. 1 failure on this alternator. There are a couple of threads on this topic. I can also have this alternator professionally rebuilt locally for just a tad over $200. NAPA has rebuilt units for less than that -- but don't forget the core charge.

I have one LD28 starter, was a factory reman but had a bad solenoid when I got it. Now has a new (not used, not rebuilt) solenoid. Solenoids are the No. 1 failure on the Hitachi starters, followed by failed starter drives (Bendix, one-way clutch, Sprag clutch, etc.).

(I used my other spare LD28 starter on the engine I just sold, and that starter goes with the engine. The starter that came off that engine was a gasser starter, pinion gear wrong size.)

I can take pics of either of those. The reman starter is pretty; the core alternator is not.

===================

I can't give you any leads on the MT flywheel, backplate, etc. They are getting difficult to find. I sold a complete MT setup on my spare engine to a member in April.

Member "DMS" in Hollister, CA (may have moved by now) had lots of LD28 parts, and it seems like he would have the thermostat housing parts. The LD28 water outlet is said to be the same as the gasser, but the lower housing, and the adapter housing on the block, are unique to the diesel.

Also, member "diesel-man" has LD28 parts. You might PM him. I think he likes to sell complete engines though.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
gregthespy

Post by gregthespy »

Thanks for the quick reply!

What's the going rate for the starter?
I'm budgeting out these parts so I think I'll make a decision on what level of alternator rebuild to go with once I know if it's in my leauge with the starter. I do need the vac pump as well, but if I can source one of thoes seperately I will, but athe assurance of new diodes is sure nice!

Thanks for the tip offs for contacts on some of the other parts, I think I'll wait out this post a little and see if anyone has the other parts to offer and if no avail, I'll make some contacts.

Thanks again,
Greg
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Oh, sorry about not pricing the LD28 starter. This one, because it had been a factory reman, and my having put a $35 solenoid on it, is $85.

I should note that, if you're not in a screaming hurry, rebuilt LD28 starters and alternators do come up on eBay from various liquidators for quite cheap. I've seen LD28 alternators for $60. Starters are rarer though. It might take you six months to find one on eBay, or there might be one there right now. Worth looking, or setting up a canned search for one. I used to scout eBay for SD and LD stuff and post it here, but have slacked off the last few months -- I wasn't getting any positive feedback, so I figured nobody was really reading the stuff.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

asavage wrote:I used to scout eBay for SD and LD stuff and post it here, but have slacked off the last few months -- I wasn't getting any positive feedback, so I figured nobody was really reading the stuff.
I know I enjoyed it. Kinda surprising the stuff you found that I missed sometimes. I have my own canned searches. 8)
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
gregthespy

Post by gregthespy »

Why thanks for the heads up, I had been actually eyeing a remaned starter on evilbay for $118 and the seller is in Orlando, as am I so maybe that's a good option. I'm really not in a big hurry for this stuff. More of a side project I've got going on.
I would like to retain the factory vacuum pump, depending on how hard it is to locate one.
I've just won an '83 Maxima factory service manual off ebay so I will definately be a bit more educated on things in the near future. :) (at least I'd like to think so)
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

If you can't find a vacuum pump anywhere else, I could be talked out of one of mine. I always encourage people to check their local junkyards and save this stuff from being melted down, but if you just can't find it, I can help.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

asavage wrote:Oh, sorry about not pricing the LD28 starter. This one, because it had been a factory reman, and my having put a $35 solenoid on it, is $85.
The starter has been sold; I have no more LD28 starters at this time.