ve injection pump timing again

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

steven.0424

ve injection pump timing again

Post by steven.0424 »

finally had a crack at ip timing,made up part to hold dial indicator, checcked current spec was .045 ie 45 thou at top dead center after zeroing dial indicator at about 25 degrees before top dead centre, so i set to work shop manual specs .035 ie 35 thou , by turning injection pump , turned motor back to 25 degess btdc until it zeroed and turned back to tdc again to check it was correct yep 35 thou ok put back together started it, smoke every where then smoke stopped took it for drive smked under hard acceleration and mild acceleration so put back to where it was originally cant understand it, thought i had it right, any one have any ideas, plunger moves over .050 thou intotal thats all my inicator will measure so it may move even more than that what maximum total lift does it suppose to have maybe some one can help
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Total Plunger lift is not listed in my FSM just the timing setting at .0374 - .0390

Is your pump equiped with the CSD? If it is then the FSM states it has to be disabled.

P
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

plenzen wrote:Is your pump equiped with the CSD? If it is then the FSM states it has to be disabled.
And that makes a huge difference.
steven.0424

Post by steven.0424 »

has no csd just knob on dash yeah pump timing is what i mean, its sd 25 with bosch ve pump, my manual says 35 thou which is the distance the plunger moves inside the distributor head which is connected to some sort of cam disc, acctual plunger moves more than 35 thou(about 50 to 60 thou is what i measured) but it shoul be 35 thou at tdc thats my understanding of it