Just what CAN you put in the tank and still run with an L28D

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

lozLD28

Just what CAN you put in the tank and still run with an L28D

Post by lozLD28 »

Been reading some posts and just wondered...

I live in thailand which is pretty lawless in this regard. I wondered what cheap alternatives to forecourt diesel there is for and LD28 standard engine...

a litre here costs round 60 cents.

what could you use that would save money? actually I'm just interested in what else I could put in the tank and still run...

Cheers,

Loz
ld28 auto in a '67 benz!
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

You ever play Russian Roulette? Too scary, huh? But if you want the gamble w/out so bad a penalty, putting "stuff" into a fuel tank is kinda like that.

Same end game though - you lose. Bye bye motor.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

If it was an emergency that involves zombies...

I would run kerosene, WVO, Fuel oils #1-4, Jet A&B, propane, and an assortment of high proof liquors.

Not saying any of these would maintain a long service life, I know WVO dirties up diesels, Kerosene lacks lubricity, Fuel oils may be too dirty and can clog up filters rapidly, propane is a different game, and liquor, I guess itll run like an alky motor in a way

Dont try them though, you wont get miles out of the motor.
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
lozLD28

Post by lozLD28 »

THanks Guys,

was just curious...

Guess I'll keep to the forecourts!

:lol:
ld28 auto in a '67 benz!
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

The VE IP is pretty susceptible to dirty/bad fuel. They do not take well to "alternative" fuels like the inline IPs do.
lozLD28

Post by lozLD28 »

so I guess emptying the chip pan frying oil into the tank isn't a good move...

loads of alternative fuels up for debate here in Thailand. just wondered how robust the old derv lumps really are...

sounds like the need nannying like a gasser :roll:
ld28 auto in a '67 benz!
retired

Emergency fuels

Post by retired »

I must admit to having used a couple alternatives in a pinch over the last 25+ years with my Maximas. In the middle of nowhere one blizzard night [and a few other times] I have been known to mix a quart-or-two of 30-weight motor oil with a tank of kerosene and diesel on. I have also grabbed various fuel oils at times. I definitely never run alternate fuels any longer than one tank full in a great while. I have always carried a spare fuel filter with me, just in case. ;-) But I've only had to change it (abnormally) after getting some 'bad' diesel a couple of times at a particular place along Interstate 95 in Georgia. But I would never recommend the practice.
1982 Datsun Maxima wagon LD28 [one owner; lost to rust in 2002]
1983 Datsun/Nissan Maxima sedan LD28 252139 miles in daily use again; one owner.