WTB: CONNECTING ROD FROM LD28

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

ld28

WTB: CONNECTING ROD FROM LD28

Post by ld28 »

HELLO
I AM LOOKING FOR A CON.ROD FROM NISSAN LD 28
WITH ENGINES NO. LD28 202141
AND CON ROD NO. 14.3-V07.1 (NOT PART NO. THIS IS ON CON.ROD).
NEW OR GOOD CODITION
THANKS ALOT
________
FREE GIFT CARD
Last edited by ld28 13 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
diesel-man
Deceased

Post by diesel-man »

I have two sets. I'll have to check them in the daylight.
ld28

Post by ld28 »

diesel-man wrote:I have two sets. I'll have to check them in the daylight.
thank you a lot
please chek for the " 14.3-V07.1 " on the con.rod
and i will send you some dimensions .

best regards
Dimitris Stefanou
Greece
________
Angelina Jolie
diesel-man
Deceased

Post by diesel-man »

I checked the two sets, one says GO (Nissan symbol) VO7.1 and also others out of the same engine ......VO7.2
I'm not sure if they are lot numbers or what.
Sorry I couldn't help.
ld28

Post by ld28 »

thank you for your time

and if its easy please sent me your email
because icant sent images with dimensions from forum mail

piston ring 25mm (inside bearing)
crankshaft ring 50mm (inside bearing)
all the con.rod 201mm
between rings 102mm
width 27mm both sides

thank you alot
dimitris
________
Naruto Dicussion
diesel-man
Deceased

Post by diesel-man »

I checked a third set and it has the numbers 4.2 (symbol) vo7.2
Pictures or dimensions aren't going to do me any good. I know I took them out of a LD28 Nissan Maxima Diesel. I've got a small fleet of these, so I did not pick it up in a salvage yard and look at it, thinking, that it might be a Maxi diesel connecting rod? If you have a turbo, then it would possibly be different, but if it is "naturally aspirated" then it would have to be the same. Possibly they are lot numbers? Either way it would probably cost more than twice as much to ship it than to buy it. I would want $10 (ten dollars) (about 8 Euro) for the connecting rod, but shipping to Greece???? Somehow I would perceive that from the UK would be cheaper if someone would "step up to the plate"! I believe they would all be the same...but perhaps they are of different weights...maybe a gram (or less, don't know how much a gram is) or so different?

Are you sure that this engine can be saved if one rod is bad? What damage was done to it?

I do have a new connecting rod, but it is not in a Nissan package. It could have been made by Nissan and repackaged, but it is a TRW brand (American company later bought out by Federal Mogul). Anyhow it is about 15 yrs old (New Old Stock) brand new never out of the package. $35 (thirty five dollars)(27 Euro) plus shipping.
Hope something helps
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

There may be some measurement issues having to do with exact length of the rod.

If I understand correctly there were three head gasket thicknesses and this determined final compression ratio; also as I understand it, this was NOT a matter of which year the motor was produced, meaning that it was determined on assembly. Now _why_ did a factory which would have used brand new parts and all find it necessary to vary the head gasket thickness when it would have been cheaper to order only one thickness and have done - it was necessary for some reason. The variables affecting compression are rod length, pin location, piston crown and cylinder bore (I think the head surface was always totally flat so that would not matter).

Now maybe the variation came from the piston or the bore but it not...

Whether the difference would in fact matter much I don't know. I haven't tried to run calcs to see what affect the deltas above would have on compression - can't even remember the static gas equation. Since the engine won't be perfect in any case it may not be an issue and it's probably a pita to measure the exact rod length.

But if I were trying to put in a new rod, I think I'd make a few measurements and do those calcs and see where it pointed. The FSM should give a deck height and my first wag is that compression would be at least directly proportional to one dimension of the combustion "chamber" (need that gas equation) - which means that if the height is .020" (guess) and the rod length changes .001 then you have at least a 5% change in compression.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
LD28 Owner

Post by LD28 Owner »

For what it's worth: My 12/82 parts manual lists only one part number for a connecting rod (12100-V0700).

Would one expect three different part numbers if the con rod was the variable affecting the head gasket thickness?
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Would one expect three different part numbers if the con rod was the variable affecting the head gasket thickness?
Maybe. I speak from general assembly theory, not from knowledge of this particular case. Perhaps I'm way off base here.

It's my understanding about assembly in general (in any industry) that there are cases where to obtain a very close tolerance for the assembly as a whole, you must pick from parts which are themselves w/in manufacturing tolerance but that must be combined with other selected parts (also w/in their manufacturing tolerance) in order to meet final tolerance for the assembly as a whole. The factory has quick-check jigs which sort parts to be used together. This allows the use of looser tolerances for each particular part (read more reasonable manufacturing cost) while still producing an end product w/very tight specs.

I just can't help wondering what's with those three gasket thicknesses, though... Somewhere in the works there had to be some slop that needed attending to.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

LD28 wrote:HELLO FROM GREECE
I AM LOOKING FOR A NEW OR USED IN GOOD CODITION
CONECTING ROD FOR A LD 28 WITH ENGINES BLOC NO:LD28-202141
AND ON CON.ROD HAVE A 14.3-V07.1
I DONT HAVE THE V.I.N. OF THE CAR
THIS ENGINE IS IN 8 METER TRADITIONAL BOAT AND WAS PERFECT
BEFORE WATER COMING FROM INTAKE.
ALSO WILL NEED MORE PARTS BUT THE FIRST IS THE CON.ROD.
THANKS ALOT
DIMITRIS STEFANOU
NAFPLION
GREECE
He sent me this picture:

(click on image for larger)

The numbers & dimensions are clearly visible if you click on the image.
LD28 Owner

Post by LD28 Owner »

Looking again at LD28's post and seeing that, in addition to a con rod, other parts will be needed as a result of water running out the intake, I suspect that his marine LD28 has a bad exhaust mixing elbow that allowed water to flow into the middle of the intake manifold and the engine attempted to compress water.

I'd suggest that LD28 identify the other parts needed so we might help extimate total costs for the repair. The mixing elbow is once again available after a long period when it was not in stock. Aftermarket replacements are also available. Unfortunately, the parts are expensive and heavy. Shipping costs maybe expensive.

LD28 may want to look at the total costs of the repair. It may be that replacing the engine is the best course of action.
ld28

Post by ld28 »

hello diesel-man
did you have any news about shipping for the
ld28 con.rod ?
________
Los angeles dispensary
diesel-man
Deceased

Post by diesel-man »

It is on the way.
Thanks Wayne