Unusual SD22 application

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Tractor Puller

Unusual SD22 application

Post by Tractor Puller »

I just recently bought this custom built minirod pulling tractor, and after determining the engine make and size, I searched and found this informative and helpful website.

It has an SD22 which I was told came out of a forklift. The inj pump is a Bosch inline with what I believe is called an RSV govenor. It is a fully mechanical setup. The engine has been turboed, but until I can learn to read Japanese, I guess I won' t know what kind of turbo it is. It also has a form of water injection.

I don't know how to post pictures, so here is a link to a page with a couple of pictures.

http://www.tmtpa.com/uispics.html

Any advice or info would be most appreciated!

Thanks
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

The pictures don't show much of anything; nothing can be learned from them.
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
Tractor Puller

Post by Tractor Puller »

Nissan_Ranger wrote:The pictures don't show much of anything; nothing can be learned from them.
Sorry, when I have the hoods off I will try to take some more pictures.
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

That will be interesting to see:-)
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

More important than what turbo it is, I hope it doesn't have a throttle body. Come on with the pictures!
'82 standard cab 3 axle SD22 turbo
'89 int'l 9700 Cummins 444 (855 ci)
'29 HD FD export model
Tractor Puller

Post by Tractor Puller »

Knucklehead wrote:More important than what turbo it is, I hope it doesn't have a throttle body. Come on with the pictures!
No, it doesnt have a throttle body, it has a 1 1/2" pipe from the turbo to the intake manifold inlet. I know for sure it has the mechanical govenor, as it is the same as pictures I have seen, and I now have a manual and it calls it the RSV governor.

I have it loaded in my trailer right now, not the easiest to get pictures of but I will see what I can do.

Thanks
Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

I believe the RSV is governed at 1100 rpm (2200 crankshaft). Is that true for yours? It's possible that has been increased and I'm interested (beyond theory) in how they did that. The seller didn't give you a full accounting of their proud creation?
'29 HD FD export model
Tractor Puller

Post by Tractor Puller »

Knucklehead wrote:I believe the RSV is governed at 1100 rpm (2200 crankshaft). Is that true for yours? It's possible that has been increased and I'm interested (beyond theory) in how they did that. The seller didn't give you a full accounting of their proud creation?
I have asked him a lot of questions and he told me they basically rebuilt the engine with oem parts and they went to a salvage yard and "picked out" a turbo that looked about right. He said that they had taken the pump and injectors to a diesel shop and the fueling has been worked on quite a bit, but he could not give me specifics. I do know that when I accelerate it at low rpm it will blow a cloud of smoke. He also mentioned that the governor had been worked on, but he didn't know to what extent.

It didn't have a tach on it when I bought it, so I have installed a diesel tiny tach and it currently governs out at 3850 no load rpm.

I have a Friday and Sat. night pull this weekend, so hopefully I will have a video.

Here are some underhood pictures.

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

Cool! It looks like you have all the problems typically unique to the SD22 under control. At this point you are the man in the R&D seat with time and money to play. Please keep good records and document your adventure for us. Do some dyno runs if you can. Lerssinen took lots of good pics and vids, but very little tech info. Pressures and temps of everything!

A few points. Be sure you have a pyrometer and watch it closely. I'm not sure that a pull is long enough time to hurt something badly with high exhaust temps, but between that and the boost gauge, it will give you a good way of figuring out what is going on with air flow and fuel. High temps = overfuel. If there is a sensitive spot to heat I think it might be the little hole from the prechamber into the cylinder. Plan on having the head off to do inspections. Maybe start looking for a replacement, or better yet find a good welder/machine shop.

The specifics of what the shop did to the fuel system would be wonderful to know. How did they raise the rpm on the governor? With RBD flyweights? I believe the injector pressures are relatively low (100 bar). Did they raise that any?

You have nothing to worry about from any initial black smoke. In fact, for power, optimally you probably want it overfueling the whole pull, and I assure you that pump can deliver lots of fuel. Your trick will be to get all the air in you can, so be sure there is no air cleaner restriction at all, and I would work on an ice water intercooler (but I don't know what your class rules are). To see how balanced your turbo is put an exhaust pressure gauge beside the boost gauge.

Water injection may do a lot of things, but it may not bring your pyro temps down. I've seen a system tested with 1500 psi and multiple nozzles added and by the time the pyro started going down, so did the power. Watch out for that. Happy experimenting!
'29 HD FD export model
Tractor Puller

Post by Tractor Puller »

Well, I have time but not a lot of money to play with, but everyone has to have a hobby of some kind I suppose......

It has a 35 psi boost gauge, but I haven't overcome my tunnelvision enough yet so that when I'm driving it I can look at the gauge. :shock: I understand exhaust gas temps, and will be looking at getting a pyrometer as well. A datalogger would sure be nice!

I have worked on diesels all my life, in fact I trained as a diesel mech as a young man, but that was 30 years ago! Anyway, I understand what is going on under that hood, but so far as what has been done to the fuel system, I am not able to obtain any records or data at all on that. Just that I was told that the fuel output of the pump has been turned up to a great degree, the injectors have been worked on, and the governed rpm has been increased with different spings.

I am including a youtube video of my pulls this last weekend. On the second pull when I lost my turbo boost, the engine was really heated up. I now know that I have to do something about the farmboy water injection it has on it. All it amounts to is 2 windshield washer pumps, pumping in series into a homemade nozzle which isn't misting or fogging the water, but instead it shoots 2 streams! I feel pretty sure that when the boost comes up, the little pumps can't overcome it and I probably am not getting much water when I really need it. So....I have recently gotten 3 different size water fogging nozzles which emit a cone shaped spray, and I also have a 60 psi demand type 12V sprayer pump which I intend to charge the system with. I think that will make some difference once I get the water properly tuned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcR7iSfPLi0

Thank you for all your help.
1500 Lb. Minirod Pullin Tractor with turboed SD 22

1950 Lb. Minirod Puller with 460 Ford

1300 Lb. Minirod Puller with Kawasaki ZX6R 600CC Ninja engine

Building a minitruck puller with a 94 Dodge Dakota body and a 95 12 Valve Cummins...
philip1

Post by philip1 »

I think you lost boost because the turbo stopped turning. I've heard that sound before and it ain't pretty. You might check the compressor and turbine sides to see if they are locked/broken off.
Phil
1981 HL510 (in WA)
I will be installing a diesel in this thing
Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

Great vid!

I also think your turbo bit the big one. You are blowing enough black to assure really high temps. The tubine blades should handle it, but I bet you aren't getting enough oil flow to adequately cool that hot mama. I have a ton of questions I'd ask diesel puller guys, and how they deal with high EGTs is one of the first ones. You prolly know better than me.
'29 HD FD export model
Tractor Puller

Post by Tractor Puller »

Philip1 wrote: I think you lost boost because the turbo stopped turning. I've heard that sound before and it ain't pretty. You might check the compressor and turbine sides to see if they are locked/broken off.
Knucklehead wrote:Great vid!

I also think your turbo bit the big one. You are blowing enough black to assure really high temps. The tubine blades should handle it, but I bet you aren't getting enough oil flow to adequately cool that hot mama. I have a ton of questions I'd ask diesel puller guys, and how they deal with high EGTs is one of the first ones. You prolly know better than me.
Well, I cranked it up this afternoon and much to my relief, I think the turbo is ok. I sounds fine and will spool up and build about 13 lbs or so no load boost. :D

If I can't get it under control with water inj. another trick thats used is a air to water i/c, using ice water. Problem with that is that I am really limited on space on this little rig.

Thanks for the input.
1500 Lb. Minirod Pullin Tractor with turboed SD 22

1950 Lb. Minirod Puller with 460 Ford

1300 Lb. Minirod Puller with Kawasaki ZX6R 600CC Ninja engine

Building a minitruck puller with a 94 Dodge Dakota body and a 95 12 Valve Cummins...
Bob Drucker

Post by Bob Drucker »

Hi... Think about use of nitrous oxide to cool the charge and egt....but be careful not to over do it..... good luck... Bob
roverdiesel