Laurel LD28 power steering pump

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

GTwice

Laurel LD28 power steering pump

Post by GTwice »

Hi guys!
I have a question - does anybody know if any other nissan uses a similiar pump to that of LD28 in my Laurel? It's leaking, and the price for repair that I've been told is 20% of the car's worth. It looks like this:
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

It looks like the Atsugi that the most of the USA LD28 Maximas have. Where is it leaking from?
GTwice

Post by GTwice »

Carimbo wrote:It looks like the Atsugi that the most of the USA LD28 Maximas have. Where is it leaking from?
almost everywhere - around the input shaft, on the other side (or maybe it's only splashed) and probably somewhere at the bottom - I didn't take it out nor check it closely
RT

Post by RT »

If you are mechanically inclined, I suggest to repair it yourself! A seal & bearing are maybe all you need, (& the tools to do it) & may not cost much at all. I reconed a PS pump for a Daewoo Nubera last week & found for interest that the pump was no longer available, but if it was, it would cost over $900AU but I brought the bearing that had failed and the seal for less than $20 and hey presto, good as gold. Hope this helps.
LD28 Turbo
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

have a look at nissan patrol 4X4 and some D21 light trucks.
the 4X4 D21 tend to have the oil container on the body.

the laurel pump I have dont use the banjo bolt conection.
this is like the late 80's RD28 pump.but these have oil container mounted to the 3 weld nuts on the shock tower.

daewoo parts are easy to get in NSW.over night bags are cheep.
The 2 liter is just a camira engine.
$900 for a pump--thats a go away and trade it in price we dont want to sell daewoo without the holden badge mate price.

the 1.5 is modified not to look like the cheeper lanos.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
RT

Post by RT »

Hi there Davehoos, sounds like you were offended that I mentioned the Daewoo pump issue. It was only meant as an example & yes I probably shouldn't mention such swear words on this site. I'm a mechanic & repaired this for a customer of mine, so I don't own it & you'd have to pay me to own one of those!
LD28 Turbo
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

not offended--wont hijack the thread any more than this.

had trouble getting a slave cyl for a skyline R31 RB30E.
listed as NLA as its a PBR local made part.

brake service gave me an alloy cheepy for a R30 L24E.he offered advise to grind off a bit to make it fit.

I questioned him and said have you a listing for a holden VL.
he replied that he had a petrol or diesel listed and had the RD28 version in stock.nice cast version with all the extra bits needed.

the 11/16 diesel slave cylinder is used to fix a clutch pedal travel issue with the holden RB30E and work great in the skyline.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.