Oil pan mod vs. steering link mod vs. ?

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

wbrproductions

Oil pan mod vs. steering link mod vs. ?

Post by wbrproductions »

Hello,

I have a project that I've kind of hit the wall with, which is: dropping an LD20T-II into an 81 Toyota pickup. The problem: when trying to fab engine mounts, I realized either the oil pan needs to be modified to clear the steering drag link, or the drag link needs to be dropped down to clear the oil pan.

In each case, I'll need to engage a machine shop to do the work, as I don't trust my fabrication skills for either mod. Wondering which mod would be less risky / more durable / less stupid. If you have an opinion, please share it... :)

The third possibility: I paid $400 total for the pickup, and sold the gasser engine for $200. I might be able to get a few bucks for the reasonably straight body. Perhaps I should just look for a Nissan Pickup of the same vintage...? Anyone know if this engine will drop into that truck more easily? I have the transmission from an 83 280ZX which is apparently very similar to, if not equivalent to the early 80s pickup trans.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any and all advice I receive.
- wbrproductions
Jamming an LD20T-II into an 89 Nissan D21 p'up
ANGRYLANCE

Post by ANGRYLANCE »

I would modify the pan if possible. Dangerous to be messing around with the steering link.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Ditto the pan.

I'm sure it's possible to get a good steering link, but you might potentially service the link at some point and it'd be nice to have it stock. A bashed pan is also possible, but I think the steering is more likely to have problems...

All else equal, of course.

Cheers, Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
wbrproductions

Post by wbrproductions »

OK, thanks to both of you. oil pan mod seemed more realistic...

In the meantime, I've done some more modification to the engine mounts to the point where I think I can get away with not doing a pan or steering link mod... Will post pix as soon as possible.

Thanks.
Jamming an LD20T-II into an 89 Nissan D21 p'up