LD28 in the UK

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

lightie27

LD28 in the UK

Post by lightie27 »

i have recently purchased what i thought to be a nissan 4lt patrol engine off ebay !!!what i got was a ld28 straight 6 mated to a range rover 4 speed box and overdrive. i got it to put in my landrover series 3 camper after phoneing 32 dealers in this country as well as nissan uk they know nothing about the engine!!! however a guy on here has one in his 90 and been great (posted a link to u guys) so the big question should i put it in the landy can i get parts here in the uk where has it come from or should i stick to a 200tdi
exmod110

Post by exmod110 »

200 or 300 tdi would be a better choice. keeping it all rover will be a better choice in the long run!
85 Landrover 110 300tdi
02 Mazda protege5
Kolatogari

Post by Kolatogari »

exmod110 wrote:200 or 300 tdi would be a better choice. keeping it all rover will be a better choice in the long run!
No, been there done that.
GARYSTIGER955i

Re: ld28 in the uk

Post by GARYSTIGER955i »

lightie27 wrote:i have recently purchased what i thought to be a nissan 4lt patrol engine off ebay !!!what i got was a ld28 straight 6 mated to a range rover 4 speed box and overdrive. i got it to put in my landrover series 3 camper after phoneing 32 dealers in this country as well as nissan uk they know nothing about the engine!!! however a guy on here has one in his 90 and been great (posted a link to u guys) so the big question should i put it in the landy can i get parts here in the uk where has it come from or should i stick to a 200tdi
No lightie stick the lD in you cant go wrong with that engine, its a strong motor...
and heres my contribution for the uk part Numbers
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?t=2332
also put you tube LD28 Unimog... wow what a turbo it may get you all excited..
"Act Normal they are watching"
minimog

Post by minimog »

Lightie, the LD28 is very difficult to get spares for in the U.K. The link below a list spares that gary started and I added to.
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?t=2332

As you will see spares are a bit sparse!!
Compared to the 200tdi the LD28 is down on power and torque but it is a very reliable engine.
exmod110

Post by exmod110 »

The getting parts problem is why I went back to the rover platform... even in Canada I can get any part for a 200-300tdi no prob!!
The Nissan is a reliable engine, a bit underpowered for the heft of a rover but it is better then the NA2.5 rover diesel.
85 Landrover 110 300tdi
02 Mazda protege5
windsock

Post by windsock »

G'day 27,

My two bob's worth...

There is no right/wrong answer in this thread so far. I have a reliable LD28 in a LR 110. I removed a 4 cylinder 2.25 litre land rover gasser motor to put it in there as it was neither economical nor reliable.

Reliability is one thing (and they are very reliable if looked after well) but things do go wrong on LD28s and you need to have spares available or at least someone who knows about these motors (this forum is great for such knowledge).

Land Rover motors in the UK are as plentiful as LD28's in New Zealand. In saying this, if I was to do the engine swap in the UK, I'd go 300Tdi - no questions. Plentiful and relativley cheap. In New Zealand 300TDi will set me back NZD3000-3500 (but I would need to look long for a good one). LD28's are NZD150-450 for a good runner. I went with the LD28 conversion for this reason. If anything goes wrong, spend NZD450 and get a runner and swap it out in a day and be mobile again. I have two spare engines in my garage now and another on the way I hope soon.

Cliffs notes: Go with the engine that has the most readily available parts and the ready expertise for maintenance and parts etc. Reliability is partly a function of having good parts to start to play with.

All the best with whichever way you go...

Phil
Good roads lead to bad fishing.
windsock

Post by windsock »

G'day 27,

My two bob's worth...

There is no right/wrong answer in this thread so far. I have a reliable LD28 in a LR 110. I removed a 4 cylinder 2.25 litre land rover gasser motor as it was neither economical nor reliable. The LD28 is both economical and relaible.

Reliability is one thing (and they are very reliable if looked after well) but things do go wrong on LD28s and you need to have spares available or at least someone who knows about these motors (this forum is great for much knowledge).

Land Rover motors in the UK are as plentiful as LD28's in New Zealand. In saying this, if I was to do the engine swap in the UK, I'd go 300Tdi - no questions. Plentiful and relativley cheap. In New Zealand a good 300TDi will set me back NZD3000-3500 (but I would need to look long for a good one). LD28's are NZD150-450 for a good runner. I went with the LD28 conversion for this reason. If anything goes wrong, spend NZD450 and get a runner and swap it out in a day and be mobile again. I have two spare engines in my garage now and another on the way I hope soon.

Cliffs notes: Go with the engine that has the most readily available parts and the ready expertise for maintenance and parts etc. Reliability is partly a function of having good parts to start to play with.

All the best with whichever way you go...

Phil
Good roads lead to bad fishing.