Fuel tank Question

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

dieseljunky

Fuel tank Question

Post by dieseljunky »

Hello. I am in the process of doing an engine swap. SD22 into a 1987 D21 Hardbody.

I was wondering if I could use the original gas tank as my diesel fuel tank?

Or would it matter if I made my own fuel cell?

Let me know your thoughts about putting diesel into a previous gas tank. Thanks.
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

Go for it! My converted Ranger uses the original gasoline tank. I had to remove the OEM fuel injection pressure pump from what became the pick-up tube and dry out the tank. All is good!
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
exsimguy1

Post by exsimguy1 »

Diesel fuel has occupied my D21 (gas) tank for over 15 years with no issues. Removed the fuel pump and replaced with copper tube. Used the original float and sender.

Terry
1987 D21 w/1983 SD25 drivetrain
exsimguy1

Post by exsimguy1 »

Diesel fuel has occupied my D21 (gas) tank for over 15 years with no issues. Removed the fuel pump and replaced with copper tube. Used the original float and sender.

Terry
1987 D21 w/1983 SD25 drivetrain
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

There is this link to have a look at and bear in mind.

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopi ... 0705#10705

Not saying to do or not to do but just have a read and make your decision after that.

I know when I inquired at Nissan for my 87 D21 that there was a specific fuel tank listed for the Diesel application.
P
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
dieseljunky

Post by dieseljunky »

Thanks for the info guys. I will figure out what will work best for my situation. Can't wait to get a tank figured out so that it is out of the way.