Photos of pyrometer installs

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

minimog

Photos of pyrometer installs

Post by minimog »

I know i've seen some on this site before but doing a search has turned up zip :(
Anybody know what thread they where in? I want to know where to drill the manifold for the sensor.

Thanks, Dave.
windsock

Post by windsock »

Yarp! There'd be something here for you I think... EGTs - normally aspirated LD28 thread. I am about to drill another manifold that is in better condition than the one I did previously. Also, I lost a thermocouple due to a breaking engine mount on the opposite side which wrenched the wires too tight. I'll do a better install and wire run next time... :roll:

Edit: just re-read the thread linked above. Now that I have replaced the drilled manifold with an undrilled one, I can take more accurate measurements for the bump for those that'll be drilling in-situ and intend to aim for this. I will most likely be doing this myself as after finally fixing an exhaust leak that just didn't want to be fixed, I am loath to disturb the seal again.

Edit part 2: For those that are not aiming for a bump inside the manifold, there is also a link within the thread linked above :lol: that goes to a manifoild the Al drilled and it indicates plenty of thickness to put a tapered thread in anyway. I also found this on the one I drilled.
Good roads lead to bad fishing.
minimog

Post by minimog »

Thanks Phil, that's the thread I was looking for. Once I get my sensor and gauge installed, what in peoples opinion, is a safe temperature I should be aiming for at full throttle, up hill?

Cheers Dave.
windsock

Post by windsock »

Hi Dave,

I have heard various numbers touted as no-go zones, almost all within 700-750 Deg C with 720 being commonly quoted. I get nervous when I get up around 650 on a steep hard climb. Temps can escalate quite quickly where I have drilled it. Also, you'll find that head winds can also see the temps get up quite a bit very quickly. I am constantly surprised to see the effects of this invisible 'hill'. You'll most likely see this too in the mog. If I have a load on the deck of the truck I find I can also see higher temperatures.

When I posted all the original temps I had the 2 inch exhaust system. I have since gone to a 2.5inch system with less bends but at the same time I broke a motor mount and wrenched the wires from the thermocouple. I therefore have no latest temps and I am not too sure what effect the straighter larger diameter pipes.

Note:all my driving has been done with a normally aspirated engine. A turbo will be interesting.

Cheers,

Phil
minimog

Post by minimog »

650c/1200f :shock: that sounds quite toasty. I think I'll aim towards something a little lower. My exhaust post turbo is 3" and the boost pressure is fed through an intercooler so that should help?
Once I get it all installed I'll put some photo's on for future reference.
minimog

Post by minimog »

Photos of the pyro installed as promised. I got a little carried away with the camera and snapped a few more of the engine and exhaust in the truck. You will see it's quite a tight squeeze :wink:

Pyro sensor in a 280zxt manifold.

Front of engine showing turbo

Other side of engine showing turbo elbow and downpipe.

Bottom of downpipe and expansion joint.

Finally the 3" tailpipe. You'll notice no silencer/muffler, Sweet :D

Cheers, Dave.
Dslsmoke

Post by Dslsmoke »

SWEEEEEEEEETTTT!. :lol:

Now, I know you posted a video before as the projetct was in progress,
What you need to do now is, Post yet another video with the engine running so we can hear the turbo spooling up with the 3" pipe....

Nice job, I like the wrap and undercoating .

Dslsmoke
windsock

Post by windsock »

Wow, very nice job Dave. Loving the bling newness of everything. Didn't realise it was such a tight fit to get everything in the tunnel of the truck cab. Really looking forward to hearing the video now as dslsmoke said, another one please.

Very interesting set of photographs on second look.

Is that a custom made inlet manifold? Would be nice to have such easy access to all exhaust and inlet bolts like you have. :D

Liked the breather from the top of the valve cover. Where does that go to? I have just connected up a catch can to seperate the breather from the inlet. Just wondering what you've done.

What turbo are you using? I have been told to look for a T25 from a Nissan CA18DET running 9psi. I have my eye on a 280ZX manifold off an L28 but if I use that my downpipe gets very close (too close I think) to my clutch slave cylinder and piping. I could 'J' pipe it off the manifold to sit further forward though. Other alternative is to make a custom exhaust manifold out of steampipe in a semi-header fashion.

What size intercooler are you running?

Finally, from a 4X4 perspective, I'd be wanting to sheild that sedimentor beneath the exhaust pipe if I was you. I have seen branches and other stuff get twisted up under my flat deck tray by driving over it. I would think a piece of flat bar bent in a similar shape to your mounting bracket and then mounted opposite would suffice.

Heck, the more I look at all the nice fitting work you've done on your truck and the painting and the time and effort, wow, top job. A shame we can't go wheel sometime, I'd love to hear and see this mog out there.

Thanks for posting.

Phil
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Ditto thanks. Great pics of a really good looking project.

One thought which you may have already considered: That wood deck over the exhaust... Don't know the temps to expect on that pipe but might want to check after a good strong run. Sheet metal heat shields work real well except for they like to rattle.

Cheers.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
minimog

Post by minimog »

Thanks for the kind comments. The inlet manifold is custom, the engine would never have fitted without it.
The breather goes to a catch can. The turbo is a T3 from a Metro Turbo, I had a spare item on the shelf that had been overhauled.
The intercooler is from a Land Rover Discovery 200Tdi and is part of the radiator set up.
RE the fuel filter, I have thought about this and have decided that as it sits over 600mm off the ground it's unlikely to get hit :roll:
When I get five minutes peace from my wife a video is planned which I hope to cover all the sights and sounds :D
RE the tailpipe and wood deck, it does hang approximately 150mm under the deck so I don't think it should be a problem. The photo doesn't show it very well.

Cheers, Dave.
Midnightz

Post by Midnightz »

Cool looking truck. I must admit that I don't know much about unimogs, but it looks like it's lot more fun then our GL320.

So... I am curious about your turbo setup. Did you have to pump extra fuel with your turbo'ed LD28 or how do safeguard it from blowing the motor?
90 Midnight Blue 300ZX NA 2+2 (DD)
83 Maxima Wagon Diesel (parted out-going into 240Z)
73 240Z (LD28 swap project)
08 Mercedes Benz GL320CDI