Burning..or leaking oil?

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

XDAC

Post by XDAC »

This is taken from under neath the truck. I believe its where the crank case breather tube is...does anyone have more info on replacing/repairing it?
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Nissan_Ranger wrote:I would be concerned about the black smoke. My first sd22 was ruined by the previous owner driving it with the control lever set partly into the enriched position. He used a manual cable that wasn't properly set up. A little black smoke now and again won't hurt, but black smoke most of the time will coke the rings and ruin them leading to increased oil consumption.
I agree.

While the SD22 frequently is an oil-burner, black smoke is not at all a normal condition for these engines. I was pleasantly surprised at how little smoke my '82 had.

My Maximas, OTOH . . . .
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
XDAC

Post by XDAC »

I recently got rid of the stacks and put on a normal exhaust system that dumps it out behind the rear tire. I have a lot of white smoke and rough idle at start up but it clears up in about 15 seconds...I've been watching the smoke on acceleration in the mirror. It seems when I'm idling at a light..and start a normal acceleration, it blows out a few puffs of white smoke..it always clears up after second gear and turns to the normal black smoke. When i accelerate hard thru the gears, its always black..almost too much for my liking. So would it be a possibility that its burning the oil at a low rpm such as idle...or is the white smoke have to do with the injectors?

I'm also a little confused on the smoke screw..currently mine is unscrew most of the way..i screw it in until it touches that lever and causes it to idle rough like its not getting enough fuel. So I've backed it out a few turns and it feels like its limiting me from going to full throttle..
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

What colour is the exhaust when you have the screw turned in and the engine is idling rough?
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
XDAC

Post by XDAC »

Its still black and greyish
ecomike

Post by ecomike »

Glegor wrote: well, a diesel engine runs on oil, and any oil squirted into the combustion chamber could ignite and destroy your compression gauge.. you never use oil to up the compression on a diesel..

do all compression tests DRY on a diesel engine, unless you actually WANT to see your gauge fly to the moon..
That certainly would confirm good compression! :shock: Thanks for the warning!!!
Regards,

Mike

1985 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer, 2WD, retrofitted with SD-22 & 5 spd manual trans, a 4X4 Gas Wagoneer ltd. (XJ) Jeep, 4.0 L w/ AW4 auto, and now 2 spare 2wd Jeeps, 87 & 89.
ecomike

Post by ecomike »

Sounds like he should check the leather diaphragm in the IP pump, if he has the KIKI pump. There is a great thread here somewhere on the KIKI IP pump and replacing the diaphragm. I thought my engine was bad it smoked so bad, and ran so rough. The diaphragm in mine was rotted with a huge a hole it.

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopi ... mp+leather
Regards,

Mike

1985 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer, 2WD, retrofitted with SD-22 & 5 spd manual trans, a 4X4 Gas Wagoneer ltd. (XJ) Jeep, 4.0 L w/ AW4 auto, and now 2 spare 2wd Jeeps, 87 & 89.
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

I agree, eco...
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.