What is the Weight???

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

poppatello

What is the Weight???

Post by poppatello »

I've been looking for the past two hours trying to figure out the specs of the LD 28. I finally came across the HP and ft. lbs and boy it should be in a sticky on here somewhere. Now I'm looking for the engine dry weight. Anyone know what that is? I'm trying to compare to a few other options of HP vs ft.lbs. vs weight. Thanks...
In a World Full of Copy Cats, Be an Original...
poppatello

Post by poppatello »

I finally found it after one last ditch effort. I got this off a Land Rover site and the info covered multiple engines. The specs were as followed;

LD 28 93HP @ 4400 RPM, 148 ft.lbs of torque @ 2,000 RPM and dry weight is 414 lbs.

This info is very helpful to me as I am comparing them to the 4bt and it's specs are;

Cummins 4bt, 105HP @ 2,300 RPM, 265 ft.lbs of torque @ 1,600 RPM and a dry weight of 745 lbs.

The Cummins weighs in @ 331 lbs more then the LD 28. I haven't done all of the math but here is what I've done. The 4bt only has a HP increase of 12 and 117 ft. lbs of torque more then the LD28. However factor in the extra weight of the Cummins and I think if you did you all of the math you would find that the weight of the 4bt would drop it's ratings well below the LD 28.

Do you all agree???
exmod110

Post by exmod110 »

the Cummins can make more power easily. a lot more power.
Depending on what ur converting it into u need to look at the operating-max rpm. The Cummins is a lower reving motor. The Cummins also has more parts availability and support.
The Cummins is also a noisy, unrefined agriculture motor....
Have you looked at a vw tdi swap?
85 Landrover 110 300tdi
02 Mazda protege5
poppatello

Post by poppatello »

I am looking to install a diesel in my 84 Jeep Cj 7. I have the AMC 150 4 banger in it now. I'm not sure if your pointing out the Cummins may be better over the LD 28 or not...
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

I've read that the Cummins is a good motor, but pounds (doesn't vibrate) like a SOB. I think the 400# spec on the LD was sans tranny, so you might check and see if the 700# Cummins included the tranny.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
exmod110

Post by exmod110 »

Its all personal choice, the Cummin's is heavy, tall, noisy.. it has more north american support then the Nissan. I had the Nissan in my Defender110 and was good as long as u don't expect race car performance. Even for the early 80's the Nissan is a smooth quiet hi reving diesel.. The Cummins is prob in the 700lb range... but it is only a 6bt with 2 cyl's missing.... that much weight will effect the way your Jeep will handle... Like you said it has been done by many ppl....
Do you want to be unique, cheap, or have something you will act want to drive regularly?
http://www.hpamotorsport.com/tdiconversions.htm
http://www.tdiclub.com/
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709466
there are more choices if you want to be unique....
85 Landrover 110 300tdi
02 Mazda protege5
poppatello

Post by poppatello »

I'm just looking for a great reliable motor that will turn my 35" tires and stock gears with eased. Like I've stated, I now have an AMC 4 cylinder. It's carb so it sucks off road. Again, I wouldn't mind the power for speed but I do want to be able to cruise @ 70 if I so choose. I understand that the Cummins is a great motor and can put it in first gear and she will crawl over anything. I know it will allow me to reach my top hwy speed of 70. But I can get the LD 28 w/ tranny for 500 bucks. It has something like 147,000 on it and was last running in a 82 Maxi wagon in Oct of last year. It's lighter and cheaper. I'm just thinking that the Cummins will lose some of it's power to the weight. I could be wrong. The Cummins are going anywhere from 1500 to 2500 in my area.

So that is my thinking. I may be thinking wrong so please correct me if so. I know the Unimog swaps on Youtube and my Jeep is much lighter then that thing. This LD 28 also has a template to be able to add a turbo. But will 8 lb of turbo add more noticeable torque???
exmod110

Post by exmod110 »

I think the Nissan will be under powered for what you want it to do. u need more torque then the ld can produce with out being turbo'd... and if ur gonna do that u might as well just drop the cummins or isuzu in it. the lower end torque of the cummins will way out perform the nissan even turbo'd in ur application.
85 Landrover 110 300tdi
02 Mazda protege5
poppatello

Post by poppatello »

Thank you... :D
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

How much will your Jeep weigh? The stock LD28 in my Maxima (weighed in the very low 3000 pound range) with no passengers gave acceptable performance. Add a couple passengers and performance definitely dragged. Top speed in a Jeep might be another story. Is it raised? Large tires? What about the gearing? Seems like the LD28 setup could handle rock climbing or high speed cruising, but not both.
poppatello

Post by poppatello »

My jeep is lifted 4.5" with new 35" tires and 3.54 gears. I am told that with a Cummins swap I would not need to re-gear. If I did the Cummins would drag.

The AMC 150 motor I have in it now is the following specs;

105 HP @ 5,000 RPM, 132 ft. lb of torque @ 2,800 RPM.

This is quite close to the LD 28 specs. I am thinking this is not the way to go @ this point. A shame too because the LD 28 complete with tranny is 500 bucks vs a Cummins for 2500 just for the motor... :cry:
windsock

Post by windsock »

Didn't see this posting until after i replied to the other one. Intuitively but not knowing the detail of your current gearing, I would say the LD would have problems with the 35" tyres. This is purely based on my experience going from 31" to 32" tyres recently. Like I said in the previous posting, I would go back to the 1.66:1 transfer box if I could afford to. this would get back some of what I lost going slightly larger in tyre size.

My truck weighs in at a bit under 2 metric tonnes in daily drive configuration. Loaded up for off roading or work offroad and I am approx 2.4 metric tonne and I have to drive it like an agricultural machine, slow and steady but I always arrive where I wanted. I run the 235/85/16 Maxxis Bighorn tyres.

What altitude are you wheeling at. My LD28 is tuned for sealevel and once over 1000 metres starts wheezing a bit. A turbo would assist this. Be aware though of the already high compression ratio of 22:1 for these indirect injection engines.
Good roads lead to bad fishing.
zythr

Post by zythr »

exmod110 wrote:I think the Nissan will be under powered for what you want it to do. u need more torque then the ld can produce with out being turbo'd... and if ur gonna do that u might as well just drop the cummins or isuzu in it. the lower end torque of the cummins will way out perform the nissan even turbo'd in ur application.
,,,so a no go for the LD28 for the OP?
zythr

Post by zythr »

exmod110 wrote:I think the Nissan will be under powered for what you want it to do. u need more torque then the ld can produce with out being turbo'd... and if ur gonna do that u might as well just drop the cummins or isuzu in it. the lower end torque of the cummins will way out perform the nissan even turbo'd in ur application.
zythr

Post by zythr »