New/Replacement Seats

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

justanother54321

New/Replacement Seats

Post by justanother54321 »

I was just wondering what folks had to say about replacing the seats in the 720 King Cab.

I'm hoping to find some seats that are better quality/comfort than the stocks seats.

My girlfriend and I are both tall so we need to keep the seats as low profile as the stock, though a little lower would be great...

I've also contemplated getting seats (at least a drivers) made though I'm not sure exactly how much that would cost....

I've already come across one forum posting on seats but was hoping for more input:

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopi ... ight=seats

Any feedback is much appreciated
1982 720 SD22 CA Emission
Glegor

Post by Glegor »

if you are skilled and determined, you can make any seat work..

nissan/honda/acura car seats are usually the suspects im looking for when im swapping seats..

720 seats are already pretty low tho..

VW seats are SUPER LOW.. but they dont have seat rails or brackets on them =(
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

Isuzu ( 90's models ) are considered to be a drop-in replacement (all bolt holes line up).
Neon seats (2000's models ) are close, front holes line up good, back holes require holes to be enlarged or slot just the inner rail hole ( I installed neon seats and slotted the inner rail hole ).
Last edited by dn29626 13 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
justanother54321

Great.

Thank you for the info. I will add these to my Junk Yard seat shopping list.
justanother54321

New/Replacement Seats

I just got a set of really nice condition '91 Toyota Camry seats, for half price at the junk yard!

The driver seat has a front and back tilt and a lumbar- very comfy. Though putting them in is going to be a PIA. None of the brackets match up. Rail system is much wider than stock seat.

I will have to custom mount it. I'm installing 1/4" plates inside and outside of cab frame. It's a bit overkill, but it will ensure the seat bolts will never tear through the sheet metal frame.

I will also need to shift the seat belts back to accommodate the new seat position- tall people need more leg room.
justanother54321

Seat Mounting Rail Structural?

I want to make my seats as low as possible, and that would mean cutting out the rail you mount the front bolts for the seat.

Is that mounting rail a structural support or does it only serve as a mount point for the front seat bolts?

I know this seat install project is a gonna be a big hassle when so many other seats will go in with far less work. But I am pretty tall as is my girlfriend, so finding a seat that is actually comfortable is worth it- We are taking my the truck on a cross country trip 6,000 + miles in a month!
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

I hope money is not the reason to install seats that do not come close to the original mounting holes.
I would shop around for other seats, but that is me.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
Cmdr. Ron

Post by Cmdr. Ron »

Wowser, Howser!

Yes, those rails are, sadly, part of the cab's structural integrity.
If you figure a way to eliminate them AND rigidify the cab, please (OH, PLEASE, Mister) let the rest of the planet hear about it.

Thanks,
'82 DATSUN 720 SD22, '77 Fiat 124 Spider, '81 Toyota HiLux, '64 Chevy Corvair Monza
The Blessing of Abraham is mine!
Cmdr. Ron

Post by Cmdr. Ron »

Wowser, Howser!

Yes, those rails are, sadly, part of the cab's structural integrity.
If you figure a way to eliminate them AND rigidify the cab, please (OH, PLEASE, Mister) let the rest of the planet hear about it.

Cmdr. Ron
'82 DATSUN 720 SD22, '77 Fiat 124 Spider, '81 Toyota HiLux, '64 Chevy Corvair Monza
The Blessing of Abraham is mine!