new to the nissan diesel

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

ky deere

new to the nissan diesel

Post by ky deere »

I just recently purchased a 81 model 720 pickup with a SD22 engine and my plans are to swap it into a 93 model gaser, does anyone have any suggestions or advice??? I would also like to turbo it, is this a good idea? Thanks!
ky deere

Post by ky deere »

oh i for got to ask does any one know the rear end gear ratio on the diesel and on the gasser there both 5 speeds?? :?: :?:
5and2dimes

Post by 5and2dimes »

gear ratio for the diesel is 3.889:1
ky deere

Post by ky deere »

thanks
skiatook326

New to the Nissan Diesel

Post by skiatook326 »

Hello,

Welcome, I am new as well and have found alot of info on here regarding your task at hand. 5and2dimes is very helpful as well as knucklehead. If you go to 1983 nissan 4x4 gas to diesel on this SD2x diesel engines you will find mine. I have alot more pictures coming......you can see some on 720world under diesels only just click the images it says SD22 swap from gas 83 4x4

Chuck

[/img]
5and2dimes

Post by 5and2dimes »

8)
Posted pics for ya Chuck
100_1510 by skiatook326, on Flickr
100_1587 by skiatook326, on Flickr
095IMAG0011 by skiatook326, on Flickr
John
Glegor

Re: new to the nissan diesel

Post by Glegor »

ky deere wrote:I just recently purchased a 81 model 720 pickup with a SD22 engine and my plans are to swap it into a 93 model gaser, does anyone have any suggestions or advice??? I would also like to turbo it, is this a good idea? Thanks!
what do you guys do about bolting up the diesel to the hard body tranny?

the 720 tranny wont work in a HB will it?
seasemesnap

Post by seasemesnap »

Hi everyone I was a long time Toyota fan ,But now after driving the sd25 diesel in a 87Nissan pick up i have seen the light.I have an extra motor and fs5w71c transmission from an 86. The extra engine has only 137,000 km.
Looks like the z24i engines came with same transmissions and a L4n71B. Transfer case is a Tx10 which may bolt right up . But i would love to source an adapter to run this into the w-56 transmission in a Toyota Truck .Has this been done before? I have complete wiring from the extra motor. The only things that i can see a direct difference is drive shafts,trans mounts,motor mounts,fuel tanks.
I do have an old 4x4 93 Nissan it may be easier to tackle that with the swap.
Thanks and i value and respect all of your wisdom.This is a great forum and i just joined . I have been driving this Nissan around for about 5 months and not seen any other 2 wheel drive Diesel Nissans anywhere. They are rare over in these parts.
40 year old import loving adolesent.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Welcome !
That is where my Nissan came from as my dad bought it new in 87 from Southside Nissan on Marine Drive. Just rolled 350,000 K's. It was pretty good when I got it from him as he had it Ziebarted when he got it but the box is getting a bit of rust in it now over the wheel wells. Oh well. I watch for other Nissan Diesels all the time but have not seen one in these parts ( Calgary) as everyone that had them got rid of them casue they would not start at -10 C.
You will have fun with it, just cant be in a hurry.
Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
seasemesnap

Post by seasemesnap »

That is so cool I love mine just have to fix some leaky lines ,My dad gave me mine too he was second owner ,unfortunetly he parked it near salt water for half of its life so the undercarrage is a bit scaley .
I will have to beef up the frame near the rear leafs.I want to put a body lift on mine but those mount bolts are pretty scarey.i am running 30 inch tires at the moment.
Keep your club on this one cause they are terribly rare.I always look 4 other diesels on the road but none so far ,if i see one im going to flag the guy down.
40 year old import loving adolesent.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Not to worry about putting a club on it. If whoever is going to take it can get the danged thing to start with a simple turn of the key I suspect you could catch up to them on foot, Plus, once "they" have it,,,,,,,, well,,,,,,,, serves them right ! :lol:
Just brought mine out to YVR for the last week. It loves the sea level air for sure. Quite remarkable really. Far less smoke etc here. I am surprised you did not see it touring around Richmond as I have been back and forth from there a number of times.

P
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
greyfoxxca

sd2x's

Post by greyfoxxca »

I have been away from this board for quite a while. I moved from BC to southern alberta (lethbridge) and my sd2x's days soon were over. Got real tired of the starting issues. I think just the altitude here compared to the coast made them harder to start. An gentleman from the edmonton area talked me out of my 85 extra cab sd25 with 165k. It came from the gulf islands and when it finally started it ran great. I think he did the injectors and now runs vegetable oil in it.

I still have many engines, trannys and a 4x4 truck that I made up when I was in BC. If any of you local guys want a look drop me a line. I got into collecting old tractors and run much bigger trucks to haul them around now. Have not did anything with the equipment that I have for 3 years or so.

Good to see Al running the site. Hi to all on the board.

Also to all that when the old datsuns rust out the sd22 swap to a mazda 2200 up to 92 is a very easy swap , easier than to a nissan.

George