exhaust manifolds

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

pidder

exhaust manifolds

Post by pidder »

was wondering if the sd22 and sd25 exhaust manifolds are interchangeable? I have a sd22 in my suzuki samurai and can get an exhaust manifold from a sd25 to start mocking up my turbo build. But want to be sure before I start, otherwise will have to remove my manifold from my daily driver to do the work. Thanks.
Glegor

Post by Glegor »

why didnt you just look at that SD25 you just sold? that would have told you if the manifolds were the same or not.
pidder

Post by pidder »

nobody here have an answer for this one?
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

There's really not a lot of folks in the US who have experience with the SD23/5. Not a lot of them around. Quite a few more in Canada, but I'm not surprised that we don't have an SD guru here who knows the interchange on manifolds.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
pidder

Post by pidder »

That's ok, worst case is I build a custom manifold.
dodo

Post by dodo »

I have a Nissan F22 with an TD23 engine and i think the manifold is the same like yours. i also want to make a turbo upgrade + intercooler.

Have you build your custom manifold ?
pidder

Post by pidder »

Actually just finished my turbo install and took it for it's first run tonight after work. first impressions are WOW. Will have to make a few adjustments here and there but VERY happy so far. Will post some pics when time permits. Norm
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

Please do post more on your turbo install. I have seen a number of SD22, never seen a SD25 engine in person.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
greyfoxxca

turbo

Post by greyfoxxca »

I take it that the sd 25 and sd22 have the same exhaust manifolds?
What did you use for a turbo? I have a turbo from the turbo charged Mitsubishi 85 ranger . I was going to try this one. Did you do the welding on the cast iron?

thanks
George
pidder

Post by pidder »

Yes the manifolds were the same. I kept my original one intact in case the turbo install didn't work out. Because I have the sd22 in a suzuki samurai the space was very limited. I cut off the flange where the exhaust used to exit and capped it. I then used a 1.5 inch hole saw to open up the center of the manifold. I then came up andout with a piece of1.5 sched. 40 pipe and used two 90 degree weldells to put my mounting flange where it needed to be. My problem was trying to make the exhaust cleaar my steering column. Welding up my exhaust pipe was fun with about 6 mitred joints to make the bends to miss my steering column, the frame and the motor. I used a mitsubishi turbo from a 97 plymouth colt with a 1.6 litre motor. i did all the welding on the manifold with nickel rods.
dodo

Post by dodo »

can you post more information and pics. i also want to make a turbo upgrade...

dodo

Post by dodo »

push ...
pidder

exhaust manifolds

Post by pidder »

http://www.lj10.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5582 here's a link to some info and pics I posted on lj10.com a suzuki forum. hope it helps. Norm
pidder

Post by pidder »

well I guess I screwed that up didn`t I

All fixed now :-) N_R
dodo

Post by dodo »

Which Turbocharger have u used ? Can you also uploud a picture of the manifold ?

Cheers
dodo