injector nozzles

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

jeff115

injector nozzles

Post by jeff115 »

I remember reading somewhere that the GM 6.2 or6.5 injector nossles will fit on an sd injector bodies is there any truth to this?
datsun sd22
jeff115

Post by jeff115 »

I know this isn't the most active forum but I'll do it any way.

Bump!
datsun sd22
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

Just have your SD22 injectors rebuilt by a reputable shop. I had mine rebuilt in 2/2010 for about $50 each.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
jeff115

Post by jeff115 »

I will have the whole injector body checked by a shop, but I'm looking for more fuel and I have read about a diesel garden tractor puller that had an sd, and ran nozzles from a gm diesel. But I cant find it now. I know it was a 6.2 or a 6.5 but dont know which one.
datsun sd22
jeff115

Post by jeff115 »

how about delivery valves? I cut mine to resemble a full/ laser cut from a p7100 pump, and I would like to find a factory set now. in case it is hard to drive with out lots of smoke.
datsun sd22
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

Getting enough fuel is never a problem in these engines; most of them get a bit too much...

N_R
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
jeff115

Post by jeff115 »

oh I beg to differ. with compound chargers it will run out of fuel fast. I'm almost content with the fuel from the full cut delivery valves, but I think It would run cleaner with less delivery valve and more injector.
datsun sd22
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

jeff115 wrote:oh I beg to differ. with compound chargers it will run out of fuel fast. I'm almost content with the fuel from the full cut delivery valves, but I think It would run cleaner with less delivery valve and more injector.
I suppose even after 30 plus years of working on diesel engines, there are still things to be learned. Please be so kind as to explain what you mean by: '...compound chargers...', '...it will run out of fuel fast...' and '...It would run cleaner with less delivery valve and more injector...' These are terms and descriptions I am not familiar with.

Thank you,

N_R
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
jeff115

Post by jeff115 »

compound chargers-small turbo on the exhaust manifold and bigger one feeding it, compounding the pressure.

I guess it wont really run out of fuel but it will use up all of the fuel the pump can supply with stock injectors.

I cut the delivery valves to flow more fuel. and that works well, but at the expense of it being smokey. with bigger injectors and stock delivery valves the same amount or close to the same amount of fuel can be injected into the cylinder in a shorter time making more power and less smoke. more flow gained with the injector and less gained from delivery valves
datsun sd22
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

I see.... A two stage turbocharger....

It will be interesting to see your results.

N_R
jeff115

Post by jeff115 »

I hope its some what reliable. and I can find out where to get some new delivery valves! might have to try and machine some from a cummins down to fit.
datsun sd22
jeff115

Post by jeff115 »

thanks I hope its some what reliable, and that I can find some delivery valves for it. Might have to machine down a set from a cummins to fit
datsun sd22
Cmdr.Ron

Post by Cmdr.Ron »

dn29626 wrote:Just have your SD22 injectors rebuilt by a reputable shop. I had mine rebuilt in 2/2010 for about $50 each.
Well, I wanna know...do all 4 work right?
I replaced all 4 at $150 per ( :shock: OUCH!)
So I now have 4 injectors with just under 140K miles to rebuild.
'82 Datsun 720 SD22, '81 Toyota HiLux (proj)'77 Fiat 124 Spider trike project.
The Blessing of Abraham is mine.
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

Cmdr.Ron wrote:
dn29626 wrote:Just have your SD22 injectors rebuilt by a reputable shop. I had mine rebuilt in 2/2010 for about $50 each.
Well, I wanna know...do all 4 work right?
I replaced all 4 at $150 per ( :shock: OUCH!)
So I now have 4 injectors with just under 140K miles to rebuild.
They work great. Even solved my (winter time) cold start problem.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009