Can't get it started

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

diesel4me

Can't get it started

Post by diesel4me »

Well I have a 84 with the SD25 and I can't get it started! So far I have replaced both fuel filters, the lift pump, rebuilt the injectors, and replaced all the rubber hoses under the hood. Is there anything that I'm missing? I can get it started by pulling it and starting it that way and once it starts it runs fine with no smoke and it has plenty of power. If I shut it off while its warm it starts up no problems but if I leave it sit for about 30 minutes it won't start again??? It turns over fine but thats it... has anyone had a problem something like this? Any help will be great.

Thanks, Jordan
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

I think the glow plugs are not working.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

dn29626 wrote:I think the glow plugs are not working.
X2
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
diesel4me

Post by diesel4me »

Well I checked those too, But I'll check again to make sure. Can't hurt.
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

diesel4me wrote:Well I checked those too, But I'll check again to make sure. Can't hurt.
I only need to park for about a half hour in the hottest weather and I have to glow the engine for five seconds to get it going again. I got rid of all my glow controller problems by ripping it out and putting in a push button actuated relay. I'd just about bet money that your glow plugs aren't deploying.

N_R
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
diesel4me

Post by diesel4me »

Well you guys were right. I forgot to mention that I had replaced the GP's last winter so I didn't even think about those. But I tested to see if they had power and they did, but out of curiosity I pulled one out and tested it...and nothing? All four of the GP's weren't working. So I put all of my old ones back in and it started! So thanks for all the help pointing me in the right direction.
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

Good to hear it is starting. Are all four glow plugs working now?
What brand are the newer glow plugs that failed?
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
diesel4me

Post by diesel4me »

yeah all four GP's are working now. The new GP's that I bought were NGK rated at 10.5v so i'm wondering if there is something else wrong with the truck to burn out all four of those plugs?
'84 KC SD25 2wd/ '66 Nissan Patrol, gas.
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

diesel4me wrote:... so i'm wondering if there is something else wrong with the truck to burn out all four of those plugs?
Likely not. Those plugs are not able to take the extended run-time that the timer gives them. A friend who kept the timer going in his truck would find himself replacing a glow plug or two every year or so until he gave up the truck. I left the timer behind when I put my current truck together and have never blown a plug in 7 years driving.