first start tips anyone?

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

dangrrangr

first start tips anyone?

Post by dangrrangr »

i just rebuilt my sd22 and i am getting ready to fire it for the first time... what is a good process for the initial start up? crack injectors and crank over?? just seeing if anyone has any ideas to help me with my start up so i have a nice start !!!
dangrrangr yes i have a 91' ford ranger with a sd22 engine out of a fork lift and 720 5 speed tranny :)
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Hard Hat
Safety Glasses
Ear Plugs
Flack Vest :) :) :)
Just kidding of course

Hand prime/pump the fuel system and bleed the pump
Pull the fuse for the glow plugs and crank the engine with the injector lines cracked till you get fuel and no bubbles but more important to get oil pressure.
Tighten the lines, hook the GP's and let er rip
That is the way I would do it

I would just drive the thing to break it in and make sure that I did not "Lug" the engine too much at the onset. I would change RPM's regular and after 150-200 miles or so would change the oil and filter and just drive on from there.

In the old days when we used to build Gen Sets with these little guys, from band new out of the box, we would run them at 1/2 load for an hour and 3/4 load for an hour and full load for an hour and then ship them.

HTH

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
greyfoxxca

Post by greyfoxxca »

I agree with paully
Just let the diesel purge out and get any crap and air out before the injectors. Watch oil pressure. Watch temperature. Make sure antifreeze/water level is up and air purged from cooling system. Watch for leaks.

Did you rebuild in the truck or pull it out?
rings?
valves?
pistons?
liners?
bearings?
where did you get parts?
George
dangrrangr

Post by dangrrangr »

i mainly just changed rod bearings main bearings cam bearings honed cylinderschanged all gaskets set timing right i cracked all the lines and cranked it over a few times then tightened all the line back down primed up the hand pump again, i have a facet elecetric delivery pump so it has all the fuel pressure it will ever need. i turned it over and it ran for about 10 seconds for me about three times then my battery died and im in process of chargin batteries and what not.

i had my injectors cleaned and pop tested they were good and he reset pop pressure at interstate injection. so everything should fire right up..
dangrrangr yes i have a 91' ford ranger with a sd22 engine out of a fork lift and 720 5 speed tranny :)
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

Get a buddy to give you pull with a chain. The engine will purge then fire off and run. You do not kill the battery this way.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
greyfoxxca

Post by greyfoxxca »

check that the fuel pump is dropping back to run when the starter circuit is stopped. maybe a wire has come off.

george